ElkNut1 26-Aug-18
cnelk 26-Aug-18
NvaGvUp 29-Aug-18
kscowboy 29-Aug-18
Royboy 29-Aug-18
NvaGvUp 30-Aug-18
elkmtngear 30-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
Frequently we find ourselves hunting elk that aren't screaming. You may have found a fresh trail through a defined saddle with elk sign going both ways. Or, you may have found a waterhole that's been getting hit regularly and the weather is hot and dry. Sometimes, you might find a bull that is in a stalkable position.

In the situation where conditions are ideal for an ambush or a stalk the best thing you is can do is NOT BLOW ON AN ELK CALL. There will be many times in the elk woods that a hunter is better off being quiet, patient, and stealthy.

09-Aug-18

elkstabber's Link
Chuck Adams knows a few things about elk. His largest bull was the P&Y world record for a while.

09-Aug-18
Yep, lots of encounters are blown and lots of elk are educated by people who think they have to blow on some sort of elk call to kill elk.

My 8 biggest bulls have been killed by staying quiet, sneaking in, and shooting them.

11-Aug-18
I too like being quiet and stalking to with in 40 yards or less.

Good input Curt/Lou

Good luck, Robb

11-Aug-18
Yep, most of my bulls were taken by being quiet. Yes calling does work at the right time and place. If their talking on there own why let them know your around.

11-Aug-18
Terrain dictates whether calling is needed on a vocal bull. There's no way to slip in on a bugler when you have thick downfall, brush & willows between you & him. In those situations you need to bring him to you!

In more open country or terrain where stalking is possible no doubt staying silent along with unlimited patience can be the key to a close encounter! Too, some ambush elk at destination spots but that's a different story! -- Personally I do not want to hunt Elk like Deer, if for the most part I wasn't calling elk I wouldn't have nearly the passion for the hunt if I mainly tried sneaking in on them or sitting water, there's times for that but rare for me! Calling bulls in close is the ultimate adrenaline rush even at 63!

ElkNut/Paul

15-Aug-18

elkstabber's Link
Zach Bowhay kills some beautiful bulls. He rarely calls for them.

26-Aug-18
Most of the bulls I've called in either came to a Hyper-Hot estrus call or that call mixed with a light young bull bugle.

Last year in WA, I had a bull come down a trail to the side about 200 yards away. I gave him a standard cow call and he stopped for a second, then kept going sideways to me. So I hit him with the Hyper-Hot and he spun on a dime and came trotting right at me. I shot him @ 32 yards.

Currently I'm on OR hunting Roosevelt elk. This morning, we spotted two nice bulls @ 1,788 yards fighting and then just hanging around. My guide threw a couple of bugles their way, just to see if and how they'd respond.

All they did was turn their heads and look our way for a minute or two.

After a few minutes I decided to see how they'd respond to my Hyper-Hot.

One bull turned and looked our way immediately, so I called at him again. Immediately, he started trotting hard right towards us and his buddy was right on his heels!

Mind you, given the distance and all of the physical obstacles between us, including a 200' high cliff, there was no way I was going to call the bulls in, nor was that my intent. In fact, I didn't call again.

But it sure was interesting to see how fast they responded to the call.

26-Aug-18

26-Aug-18
Nva, You just sold a thousand calls for whoever makes that call. :)

26-Aug-18
Nice work Kyle, nothing wrong with being creative! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

26-Aug-18
That’s the Ace-3 Hyper Hot made by Sceery. I’ve also used it as a locator.

One of the best calls ever made.

29-Aug-18
No, it's the original hyper-hot from Woods Wise

29-Aug-18
Given the credibility of you two on this forum—ordered them. Currently hunting a mature bull but they aren’t fired-up yet. These should get here just in time for the action. Thanks for your contributions, cnelk. Posted from an active wallow and I haven’t made a peep!

29-Aug-18
Killed most of my bulls by locating then sneak in. Great fun!

30-Aug-18

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

30-Aug-18
My biggest bull was killed, by carefully and quietly stalking a bull (that was bedding his cows) to within about 80 yards, and having my partner rake a tree, in a team setup.

Only elk call used, was when I barked (with my voice) to stop him, before the shot.

I've called in a lot of bulls, using an open reed cow call like Kyle described. You can spike squeal with it as well, which has actually been the right ingredient to "seal the deal" on a couple bulls for me.

• Sitka Gear