Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ElkNut1 08-Aug-18
jstephens61 08-Aug-18
TexasBuck 08-Aug-18
Barrera 08-Aug-18
ElkNut1 08-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
With all the how to youtube videos hitting the Internet these days it seems there's an Aggressive Nature that is being used on every bull that is heard & even using Dominant Challenging Bugles as Locator Bugles all throughout the day even when there's little to no rut action happening! Is this wise? Not really. We are better off to use Non Intimidating Bugles for location purposes, these are bugles with much less emotion where you would use a mild tone with a single high note, it will still carry out & send your message a long distance without being threatening or yelling at all the elk. The purpose of a Locator Bugle is to locate other elk, not call them to you! Once a bull responds to your bugle it's best to evaluate his emotion or tone so you know his mindset. -- If a lone bull is heard bugling on his own, this also needs to be evaluated to know how to handle him with best results.

Yes, there are times & Bulls to be aggressive with right out of the chute but this does not apply to All Bulls! Most bulls need to be Slow Played when first heard, this will give you the best odds for a truck ride home!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
Did that exact thing 3 years ago in Colorado. Had a bull talking back to me and then I got too aggressive. Over the hill he went. Live (or listen to Paul) and learn.

08-Aug-18
Absolute Gospel. Took me about 10 years of running bulls off before I figured out the "locator bugle" vs "bull repellant" calling techniques (especially true when they already have cows). Great reminder. Thanks Paul....!!

08-Aug-18
Agree 100%. Only thing that makes you a world elk champion caller is when elk react. Not a bunch of human judges lol.

08-Aug-18
Thanks guys! Subjects as this can help refresh ones thoughts, maybe it's new to some & for others it cements ideas in their mind about things they'd considered doing anyway but were a bit hesitant! Thanks for checking the tips out!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear