hunt forever 12-Aug-18
dj 13-Aug-18
Bou'bound 13-Aug-18
Greg S 13-Aug-18
DL 13-Aug-18
APauls 13-Aug-18
DL 13-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
Well, I got a call late last night for an outfitter I've hunted bear with before about a last minute Muskox and Central Canadain Barren Ground Caribou hunt in only 7 days, lol. I will be leaving by float plane from Yellowknife, NWT and heading north. Luckily, I was leaving for a Alaska deer and carihou hunt on the 23rd of August so I have a lot of my gear already pack. I do have a concern with my bow setup. My bow is already sighted in and setup for deer and caribou. So, I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow with grim reaper broadheads. I noticed most people are using 550 grain arrows with in brass inserts and fixed blades. I'm afraid I don't have time to change my whole setup in 6 days. Thoughts? Please be Constructive and helpful!! lol

08-Aug-18
You’ll be fine. Have a great trip.

08-Aug-18
100% Ok with that setup. Ed F

09-Aug-18
That's great news!! I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures and do a semi live hunt. Has anyone ever hunted the NWT for muskox?

09-Aug-18
Any ideas on how to avoid all the black flies and Moqs?

09-Aug-18
I guide Muskox every year in the NWT typically start around the 17th of August. Normally the bugs are not too bad as they have had several frosts already. Full length shirts with a hood and head net for bugs thermacell helps a bit. I have never found them to be terrible though. Your setup should be fine not sure if you are using mechanicals or fixed. I would recommend fixed. Good luck and be safe!

09-Aug-18
Killed two with 437 gr and magnus stingers The reason you are saying most people are using 550 grains and fixed blade heads is because the thread you were getting that information on his speaking about Greenland hunting and there is a minimum requirement of 525 grains and all broadheads for muskox must be fixed heads

12-Aug-18
4 days until I leave!!!! I'm a little bet over whelmed due to the short time frame. lol I love to see some pictures of either specs.

12-Aug-18

Bou'bound's Link
here is a link to hundreds of muskox pictures.

12-Aug-18

hunt forever's embedded Photo
hunt forever's embedded Photo
Thanks bou'bound!! Here's my favorite from the group!!! What do you think it will score?

12-Aug-18
That one looks to be about 8.99

12-Aug-18
Is that 8.99 inches or dollars!?

—jim

12-Aug-18
I’m actually sitting in the raddison hotel in Copenhagen.. 230am.. my flight takes off for Greenland 930 this morning... looking forward to a wonderful adventure

12-Aug-18
Good Luck Shug!!!!

13-Aug-18
I think you will do fine with your arrow weight. Musk oxen are not as large as they appear and I don’t think they are any tougher than elk, though some of their bone structure might be heavier.

I personally would not shoot a mechanical head simply because of the course, tough, and abundant hair. I can envision that causing issues with any blade that must deploy to be effective.

One of the hunters in our group attempted to cut a heavy lock of hair off his bull and we were amazed at how strong and tough the hair was. It was really difficult to cut with a knife. Will that “foul” a mechanical...I don’t know. It will not with a fixed blade.

13-Aug-18
Can’t imagine a mechanical into one of those things with all that hair. I know they can work though

13-Aug-18
As others have said the only thing I’d change with your setup is change the broadhead to a strong fixed blade.

13-Aug-18
Good luck shug. I got in a caribou and muskox in my shop shipped from Denmark. Hunter went to Greenland. When he got there they said let’s go do some fishing. He said what about finding the muskox. Oh he said they will be there. No issue finding then.

13-Aug-18
Throw a nice Iron Will up front and your head won't be dull before it even reaches the ribs.

13-Aug-18
Take some good close ups of the bosses on his horns. After they boil them to ship there are deep cracks in them. Just helps the taxidermist know how much to fill back in.

• Sitka Gear