Greg S 16-Aug-18
Bou'bound 16-Aug-18
Bou'bound 26-Dec-22
IdyllwildArcher 29-Dec-22
Nick Muche 29-Dec-22
BowJangles 29-Dec-22
IdyllwildArcher 30-Dec-22
09-Aug-18
Can anyone post a good picture of shot placement for Musk Ox. Skeletal with vitals location would be great. Thanks

09-Aug-18

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo

09-Aug-18
Thanks, Grant.

09-Aug-18
After looking at the picture it would appear you would aim dead center mass directly above the front leg?

09-Aug-18
After looking at the picture it would appear you would aim dead center mass directly above the front leg?

09-Aug-18
Yes if you are into double lung shots

12-Aug-18
I'm into whatever kills them without a long tracking job. I'll take a heart as well. lol

12-Aug-18

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Lots of hair. I would aim for the top of the heart . Dream hunt for me. Enjoy. Hunt.

13-Aug-18
We were advised to shoot just as Hunt Forever described. Straight up the fron leg and center mass. With the thick hair it’s very difficult to know where the belly line is so holding below center is a bit risky. The safest bet is mid-line top to bottom for a lethal double lung hit.

13-Aug-18
Thanks guys.

13-Aug-18
Keep in mind the hair hangs down approx. 10-12" below the bottom of the belly. We were told to aim 18" below the hump.

14-Aug-18
18'' above the hump? I can't picture that Chief?

15-Aug-18
Frank told us to find the hump and then drop down until center mass. He said it is harder to find the front leg. It worked well for me as my bull was in thick willows and finding the front leg with all of the hair is a bit tricky.

15-Aug-18
The photo posted above (taken from The Perfect Shot) shows everything pretty well......however, a muskox tail is only about 1"-2" long......they got a little excited drawing that "extra piece of tail". LOL

15-Aug-18
Well Jake, a lot of guys exaggerate the length of tail it's a fairly common occurrence throughout all of the human world.

16-Aug-18
It’s harder than it seems to pick a spot. When you are drawn back looking through your peep it’s a big brown blob. Frank told us 20in down from top of hump. My arrow passed through so fast I couldn’t find it on the other side. Ox ran about 15yds and started spinning and whammo hit the dirt.

16-Aug-18
get jake to tell you his story about making a musk ox target and how to make it life-like. the man takes his prep seriously, that's all i'll say........:well that and buy a bunch of yarn.

26-Dec-22

29-Dec-22
I studied all the muskox shot placement threads before I went and still hit mine in the shoulder blade at 25 yards. Don't worry, they don't run far. In fact, if you approach slowly enough, they don't run at all. If it doesn't penetrate, just put a second arrow down and back a few inches back from your first. And then hit him with a 3rd for good measure.

Just make sure as you shoot #2 and #3 that there's not another animal behind him as you get caught up in the moment. Take your time; be patient. If you get them to commit to their wolf defense and go slow enough, you'll get your shot and your animal.

29-Dec-22

Nick Muche's Link
Right here worked well for me a few years back.

29-Dec-22

BowJangles's embedded Photo
BowJangles's embedded Photo
This area works.....

30-Dec-22
I'd say a few inches down and forward of Bowjangle's arrow is what took mine down. About 6 inches in front of that at the same level, I hit bone and did not penetrate.

• Sitka Gear