APauls 09-Aug-18
Treeline 09-Aug-18
Beendare 09-Aug-18
Quinn @work 10-Aug-18
Tyler 10-Aug-18
Backpack Hunter 10-Aug-18
Treeline 10-Aug-18
09-Aug-18
Does anyone keep the ribs intact for cooking? By the time I get everything bagged up I usually just strip the rib meat for burger. The reason I ask is that recently we have been keeping whitetail ribs and have a pretty good method of cooking them based on a Steve Rinella recipe. I was wanting to try it with elk ribs but unless my next elk falls dead by my truck I didn't know how my small Silky limb saw would work on an elk rib cage. I don't plan on hauling a Sawzall in my pack

09-Aug-18
I have not. But I would think the ribs are attached to the spine by a joint that can be exploited without a saw just like any other joint between two bones. Hauling a side out might be worth it!

09-Aug-18
I think it may take a special individual who enjoys elk ribs! I've hauled them & tried baking & barbecuing, no thanks, not worth it for me!

ElkNut/Paul

09-Aug-18

cnelk's Link
DirtyD on here did elk ribs last year at his elk camp - see link.

After reading his article, I made antelope ribs and WT ribs. They were great. And since I kill elk so close to my truck, Im gonna give em a try

PS - when you visit his site, dont forget to order his book 'Public Land Elk Hunting'

09-Aug-18
Thanks for the link cnelk! I'm inspired. If I'm fortunate enough to kill one I'm bringing those ribs out this year.

09-Aug-18
Deer ribs were a big revelation for me. Like anything else it's all cooking technique but man are they a special treat. Like Dirk said I wouldn't pack them out 3 miles but the next bull I get down close I am deninitely taking them.

09-Aug-18
So how do you remove them.

09-Aug-18
I've pulled them off with a hatchet and just cut hacked through the ribs along the spine. They're tremendous. I even gave a package to my wife's aunt, and they absolutely loved them as well. Shared a couple packages over the years and had nothing but positive reviews.

09-Aug-18
With a Wyoming saw, Jordan.

I keep them if I can get a short haul out and they aren’t too messy.

I really enjoy them! Have made them many times for guests and they can’t get enough. Trim out most of the fat and eat them straight away. Low and slow! Do ‘em in the smoker at around 220 till the meat starts pulling off the bone....Yummy!

09-Aug-18
I sometimes just trim out the strips of meat between the ribs and give it a quick fry in garlic and olive oil....salt and pepper. Melts in your mouth....and cooks in about 30 seconds.

10-Aug-18
They are good if you can get them close enough to the truck. Cook them slow and low and keep them moist while cooking with a brown sugar/water mixture in a spray bottle. Like Treeline said, trim the fat. Not like beef, the fat is actually pretty bad tasting.

10-Aug-18
I loooove elk ribs. Thanks to Apauls donating me a pack or 2 and telling me his cooking ways. I keep my Elk ribs now, just wished I killed more elk.

10-Aug-18
It has been a while since I have taken them out whole, but they are a treat for sure.

10-Aug-18
The ribs are the first thing we eat. They don’t taste the same after being frozen

• Sitka Gear