GF 24-Aug-18
10-Aug-18

cnelk's Link
The gene pool needs some chlorine

See link

10-Aug-18
You just can’t fix stupid.

10-Aug-18
Nope. But, I do believe hush hush and promotion of such acts would help the general Population quite a bit.

What an idiot.

10-Aug-18

Salagi's embedded Photo
Salagi's embedded Photo
I thought this was close enough a couple of weeks ago. The river was deep and strong between us. ;)

10-Aug-18
Doesn't bother me a bit. I believe in the freedom to risk your own life.

10-Aug-18
Remove all warning labels and signs... Then let nature take it's course!

10-Aug-18
>>"I also know that alcohol is likely involved," Christian said. "This is a 'Here, hold my beer' moment."<<

Good detective work.

10-Aug-18
I’m disappointed!

That they didn’t eat him!

11-Aug-18
But isn’t like Disney shows us? Aren’t they just big ole teddy bears?

11-Aug-18
Amazing how few people have COMMON SENSE anymore!

11-Aug-18
I’m not sure it’s a matter of common sense. There are people including myself sometimes, that enjoy the rush of living on the edge. Look at car races, motocross, the x-games or squirrel suit flying etc. These people don’t think this is the safest way to live, it’s just fun. I think this guy probably just wanted to try something “fun”. I’m with glunt, I think we should have a freedom to risk our life if we want to

11-Aug-18
Freedom to live dangerously should be a right. Stupid or not.

11-Aug-18
I could care less if the bear kills the idiot for "living on the edge". Only problem is the bear would get eliminated for killing the idiot that likes to "live on the edge".

11-Aug-18
""Possible charges in the encounter include entering a closed area, reckless endangerment and harassing wildlife, Christian said. ""

I only see the first charge sticking. Reckless endangerment....nope. No crime in being stupid with one's self. Harassing...nope, unless the vid shows they threw something at the bears.

11-Aug-18
The problem is, had he been killed, they would have come and killed the bears. All because of one stupid A-Hole.

11-Aug-18
There quite a few of us who routinely go afield among apex predators with the hopes of hiking out with a back load of bloody meat... Often, in the dark.

13-Aug-18
^^ yep :)^^

oh wait, dark? nobody mentioned it's gonna be dark!

13-Aug-18
Sling shot's point is the important one. I bet he didn't know better, and was operating under some pretty damn stupid assumptions -- which is no excuse.

13-Aug-18
would have been awesome to have some live footage of all those bears eating that guy down to the bone in about 30 seconds.

13-Aug-18

cnelk's Link
My friend who lives in AK works for the Park Service installed those cameras

I spoke w him yesterday and he mentioned that since those cams do in fact transmit live feed, it would have been a disaster for all if the guy would have been attacked on live feed.

If you want to watch the live feed— see link.

13-Aug-18

TD's Link
Apparently bears in India do not take kindly to folks taking selfies.......

Guy in AK was lucky. Guy in India.... not so much.......

13-Aug-18
Wow!! Maybe people should see what happens when they do stupid things.

13-Aug-18
I am all for Darwin but feel anyone like this needs to sign a statement ahead of time to be read to family. I live near a mountain that is a popular climb. Guys will head up with no responder, no satellite phone and do not even sign in. A storm blows in and there is the family saying rescuers need to go find their dad/son/drinking buddy. Uh, no. If you want to be tested man vs. mountain then go for it. When you fail, your family needs to shut the heck up and accept you wanted to test yourself and are content to die there. Why should we risk anyone else's life in a rescue?

Ski or snowboard out of bounds? Well, hang on there buddy until spring thaw is done.

Let the rescuers focus on those outdoors people that were trying to take precautions and have a way to contact authorities. Those with a death wish or are bad at understanding risks can figure it out on their own when things go south.

22-Aug-18
my co workers saw this and thought it was me, there is a bit of resemblance but I'm lots better lookin'

22-Aug-18
“I believe in the freedom to risk your own life.”

So you think there should be no laws against drunk driving?

Same deal here. It’s like Treewalker said; people who toy with apex predators deserve what they get, but they’re almost never the only casualties.

22-Aug-18
Cecil, did I forget to mention that? oh well, your sunny disposition will compensate for the lack of light, I'm sure.

22-Aug-18
For those who want the right to do stupid and reckless stuff...go for it! Just don't expect law enforcement, volunteer rescue squads, and taxpayer dollars to come and save your a$$ when things go wrong.

23-Aug-18
Those bears could "fix stupid"...

23-Aug-18
GF, drunk driving laws are necessary to save other people's lives. Big difference.

23-Aug-18
About the only time you could get away with that, is when those bears are fishing. They could give a rip about an idiot like that, when the salmon are running.

Now, if he tries that again, out on the Tundra...

23-Aug-18
And the rest of us would probably have to pay for his emergency response and medical expenses.

24-Aug-18
“drunk driving laws are necessary to save other people's lives. Big difference.”

Tell that to the bear that gets shot for being a BEAR.

People who pull this kind of stuff are just habituating the bears to close-proximity human presence with no unpleasant associations.

For a predator, anything that won’t hurt you is either Food... or Worth Checking Out as Food. That does not give them any reason to avoid humans, and sooner or later somebody ends up as bear scat. Then the bear dies, too.

24-Aug-18
I don’t see the problem. Timothy Treadwell did it. Oh wait he’s bear poop!

24-Aug-18
Yep, and so is his girlfriend, who trusted him to keep her safe. Suffice to say I don’t have an instant Christmas card around with his name on it.

• Sitka Gear