Elk Tip #7
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ElkNut1 11-Aug-18
stick n string 11-Aug-18
ElkNut1 12-Aug-18
11-Aug-18

Opening The Corridor!

I'm sure some are wondering what the heck is this? There are times we do not want to settle for anything less than the Herd Bull. This tactic is a unique way to get those pesky Satellites & Cows out of your way so you can get to the herd bull! Most of us have experienced at one time or another those bulls maintaining their distance as we've tried bugling our way to them in hopes they'd stay put so we can get close enough to put an arrow in him! It's rarely the case & we lose a lot of those encounters as these bulls move away! Yes, I know once in a blue moon they stay put as we call our way in! Ha Ha.

So, consider this tactic & use it to your advantage when those Satellites are between you & the bull you're after! Start bugling when aprox. 300-350 yards away from those pesky satellites & cows while both of you are in cover. The Satellites are there because the herd bull has cows in estrus. As you move forward bugle every 50-75 yards, those satellites & cows will start to move off the closer you get as you call your way right at them. Good thing is the herd bull pretty much stays put just like he did with those satellites harassing him for his hot cow. One more bull (you) doesn't mean anything to the herd bull in this situation, he generally will stay anchored with his cows still close by as long as you are not seen or winded! You have now succeeded in Opening The Corridor right to your target bull, it's up to you to now work your magic once in too close for this herd bulls comfort.

Generally an abrasive Challenge Bugle when under 80 yards will get the job done. If he responds & hasn't shown up in 60 seconds give 4-5 high volume Contact Buzzes, when he bugles those buzzes cut him off with another Challenge Bugle along with raking a tree or whatever is there showing defensive action, that should seal his fate!

ElkNut/Paul

11-Aug-18
I dont know jack bout elk or how to call em, but after reading everyone of these tips, for some reason i feel like i could go kill an elk.....

You rock man. If you'd make a book of your hunt recaps, id buy the first copy n read it cover to cover over and over until i died....

12-Aug-18
Justin, thank you for the kind words, it's much appreciated! It doesn't get much better than elk hunting the rut! Only a couple weeks away! I hope you can get out there & experience what it's all about like so many here have. It's simply awesome! Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear