Rye Grain Seed Availability?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
weekender21 12-Aug-18
Halibutman 13-Aug-18
Starfire 13-Aug-18
Killbuck 13-Aug-18
12-Aug-18
Rye grain seed is getting a little difficult to get in my area. Was told because of the drought farmers are planting into their pastures to help production. Makes sense.

I do not want to use wheat as it is tougher on the soil, which I am still re-building and why I usually use rye grain, not grass.

Is tritacle a good substitute. I have limited experience, have read a lot, but still hear differing views. Is it as cold tolerant as rye? I need to plant something that will get all the way through winter.

I have some brassicas, but they are barely touched every year.

Thanks.

12-Aug-18
I was worried about the cereal rye shortage after someone mentioning it on another forum. In my area of western NC it's available and only a few dollars more than last year. It's still much cheaper than triticale. If you can't find cereal rye locally it will definitely be available at some of the online seed retailers.

13-Aug-18
Thanks weekender. The drought has been severe in the area I purchase my seed from, so maybe I just need to go a little further out. I will look on-line. I live out in the country and that has been a problem in the past.

13-Aug-18
You won't find affordable Rye this year, that's for sure. The prices just keeps climbing.

13-Aug-18
I got mine for $16 for a 50# bag. Two weeks ago.

13-Aug-18
Planted 14 bags @ 14.00 per last week. No shortage here as far as I can see. I planted oats for years. Can you get that?

13-Aug-18
Yes, but oats are not cold weather tolerant. Rye and wheat stay alive the entire winter.

I have never paid $11 for rye. The price jumps we are seeing is because demand has picked up measurably. Lots of it being drilled in as cover crops on harvested fields to prevent wind/water erosion and because rye pulls P and K from deep down where next year's crops find it available. Thanks.

• Sitka Gear