BULELK1 13-Aug-18
Pigsticker 13-Aug-18
ElkNut1 13-Aug-18
BIGERN 13-Aug-18
ElkNut1 13-Aug-18
12-Aug-18

ElkNut1 's Link
When Bulls Cow Call!

Every once in a while a sound sequence needs to be injected that sets us apart from most but still makes sense to the bull we're trying to persuade to come closer. This is generally the herd bull but has worked on satellites too as they can show up out of curiosity. Anytime we can think outside the box on these heavily hunted OTC units our odds will rise! -- Think about it, these elk see & have all kinds of sounds tossed at them, they become disciplined on what to avoid especially in certain areas of about any unit that sees the heavier hunting pressure! They hear the generic cow call & bugling by hunters from specific spots on a regular basis. With these things taking place we hunters need to be creative, realistic & believable in our sound selection not just for locating but when getting close & elk sounds are necessary to close the deal.

For instance, there are times you will be inside 75 yards from a bull & cannot get any closer or you will run out of the needed cover. Some will Challenge a bull right there, others may try to cow call the bull over, some may try to call the bulls cows away. All great tactics when used at the right time! Problem with many Herd Bulls is if you do not bring them in on the first attempt they get smart real fast & future calling attempts become increasingly difficult so it may be necessary to get creative.

Here's one to add on those very cagey bulls that seemingly have heard it all but still won't budge our way! If something creative isn't done you normally end up in a screaming match, when that's the case the bull wins most of them if not all of them! Let's consider a quick elk sound or two that can convince him you're a real elk & have him make a physical appearance!

#1 - I do my best to avoid the screaming/bugling match, it generally is non-productive! After two or three bugles near that 75 yard mark & he isn't budging you need to now call this bulls cow away but with a unique approach that he only hears from another bull! Give 3-4 Pants with your voice through your bugle tube, now give 2-3 cow mews & without any hesitation go straight to a Round Up Bugle or Lip Bawl Bugle (whatever your strength is) & start raking a tree/limbs/brush. (it means come over here NOW) -- Pants are defined as Excitement, the mews are the bull making them & the Bugling completes the message being sent by you the satellite. The real bull knows you are talking to his hot cow not him, you're trying to call her over through your sounds with emotion & Displaying with the raking!

When giving the mews & into your bugle do it all simultaneously so it's evident this is all coming from you the bull. The Herd Bull is now enraged with that slap in his face at such close range, this will most likely have him Challenge/Warn you or he will come running in, I've had both happen. If he Challenges you (the most common) be ready to Challenge right over him followed with 3-4 Pants, that should do it from that range!

Listen to this sound clip, you will hear bulls using this sound in a similar encounter!

ElkNut/Paul

12-Aug-18

ElkNut1 's Link
OK, let's try this one!

ElkNut/Paul

12-Aug-18
Paul- neither link works on my end.

12-Aug-18
Matt, or others having issues, send me your email via PM & I'll hook you up with the link to the sounds, thanks! I did try it on my end & it works fine, not sure what the issue is with some PC's?

ElkNut/Paul

12-Aug-18
Not working for me either

13-Aug-18
Really looking forward to #9, so jordanatdingdong can finally get an animal with the bow.

13-Aug-18
HaHa! +1 Nick ~~ Too Funny.....

I still have my Original set of 4 DVD's Paul......nice to listen to while traveling......they are getting kinda wore out though----------->

Good luck, Robb

13-Aug-18
Elknut, loving the tips but I am like your average pitcher when it come to elk with one maybe two solid pitches and a curveball every now and then...

13-Aug-18
Thanks for the comments guys! I also appreciate all the PM's, good to see there's still a lot of great guys still around!

Pigsticker, yes there are always Cold Calling or Creative Cow Calling Sequences used at various spots that certainly work well for the 'Any Elk' hunter. Some of these Tips are for the guy that scratches his head wondering what should he do when faced with certain situations, Many of the PM's have been exactly that!

Hopefully some of these Tips get these newer guys to realize there's more to calling & understanding elk that knowing how to cow call or bugle! Everyone knows how but the success rate is still under 10% for most OTC elk hunts. Expand your knowledge & calling ability & you can push that number up to 50% in no time!

Thanks! Look for # 9 & # 10 -- You won't want to miss them!

ElkNut/Paul

13-Aug-18
Are there any as applications for spike whistles,and how do I go about making them if I wanted.

13-Aug-18
The main reason a hunter would consider using a spike whistle/squeal was if using a Cold Calling or Creative Calling Sequence, it would just add realism to the sound sequence, outside of that no real value for most hunting situations where just about any other bull sound could be as effective. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear