12-Aug-18
Looking for info on safety tips for some of the following scenarios

Lightning

Wildlife (bears/lions)

Getting lost

I will have first aide stuff

Anything else?

12-Aug-18
Bear spray. GPS and a map and compass. Some kind of communication device....in reach. Or spot.

I got an inreach last year. Peace of mind in the backcountry by myself. If I get hurt I can call for help.

Something to start a fire with and some sort of emergency shelter.

12-Aug-18
Im looking for a meat cutting glove for safety. Poked a Havalon in my thumb last year. Wasnt bad but couldve been. Anybody have a cut proof, lightweight glove they like?

12-Aug-18
I use uline or nocry, search amazon, just depends on if you like the rubber coating for grip or not...

12-Aug-18
Lightning----- Get off the ridges and don't be under any tall trees. In 40 years I have only been close once.

12-Aug-18
Kevlar gloves are readily available. I have even seen them in sporting goods stores in the meat grinder/cutting section.

12-Aug-18
I've been spared many cuts by carrying a left hand fishing fillet glove in my kill kit.

13-Aug-18
I started using a kevlar glove last year too, it is well worth the extra couple ounces to spare myself from a Havalon slice. I bought a pair and did a cut test on one in the kitchen before I took it in the field.

Carry a GPS

Carry a paper map

13-Aug-18

Clearwater Alaska 's embedded Photo
Clearwater Alaska 's embedded Photo

Clearwater Alaska 's Link
Bear Safety Tips: If you come across wildlife, remain calm and always walk, don’t run, avoid getting too close, use bear spray, Do not try to climb trees..

13-Aug-18
What are you going to do, when your hurt, maybe unresponsive, and being attended too, by medical personnel? Make up a 911 card, that's what I call it, and mine is around my neck, and laminated..... Name - emergency contact - medications - blood type- any allergies- etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know first hand this helps the medical team....... Be Safe

13-Aug-18
I would say the risk your most likely to face is small annoying cuts cutting on an animal. To a serious stab would or laceration. So being very mindful of cutting away from your self. They make cut resistant gloves that are very light and improve grip. And maybe add some sort of clotting material into 1st aid kit. I carry a one handed tourniquet,suture kits and clotting material.

13-Aug-18

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo

13-Aug-18
#1- Avoid walking the woods, when possible, with an arrow knocked. If you trip with your bow and an arrow IS knocked, it is better to throw your bow out in front of you than risk falling on the broadhead. #2- Stay calm and go slow when field dressing your animal. Adrenaline will be rushing. Stop. Take water breaks. Pay attention.

13-Aug-18
Never thought about a filet glove of some sort... I did slice the hell out of my thumb gutting a deer back in my early twenties, practically cut the tip off.. good call!!!

I was trying to find that image of lightning safety.. thank you for it!

I’ll be making an I’d card as well..

Thanks

14-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
My bone off set-up
BULELK1's embedded Photo
My bone off set-up
Great to have on your solo hunt Ben.

A sharp knife can be life threatening if ya cut an artery!

Like mentioned above Amazon Prime and I buy a couple pair for the fall hunts.

Good luck, Robb

14-Aug-18
One I haven’t seen here yet is, beware of walking on deadfall. A slip and fall which I did twice last year could result in a stob sticking through you, not to mention a damaged bow.

Try to figure out your bearings before pulling your gps up to verify. If all you do is rely on your gps you’ll have no clue where you are when it fails.

14-Aug-18
For bears, keep a clean camp and hang your food and trash. Depending on where you are going to be that may be a requirement, and also that any coolers or food containers that are outside of a vehicle be bearproof; even empty ones.

Only you can know your boundaries regarding getting lost. How good are your navigation skills? It seems most people simply rely on their gps these days, but I agree with Link. In fact, I don't even own an actual gps, just one of those Backtracks that I use to confirm my headings if unsure. If crap hits the fan, just follow water. It will get you to a road in less than 10 miles in large portion of the lower 48. Be mindful of the weather, as that and injury are the biggest concerns in my opinion.

14-Aug-18
I did ram a big staub through my calf when I slipped on deadfall. Barely missed an artery and I still have pieces of wood working their way out every couple years. Thankfully it was my leg and not the abdomen...

I am now super-careful around deadfall after that. I also carry Quik-Clot and a full first aid kit everywhere. Got lucky that time.

14-Aug-18
I'll second what LINK said. Slippery deadfall is dangerous. What we should do to be safest is to always step on the ground and not to step on deadfall. But of course, walking on deadfall is less work and saves energy. But, when you step on it and your foot slips or the log breaks you're going to be falling and its likely that those super-hard stobs will be what you land on. Walk around deadfall whenever possible. In some areas this is impossible, but be careful in deadfall.

Cutting yourself with a knife when quartering an animal is possibly dangerous, but it is many times more dangerous when there are two knives. Take your time, with only one person cutting at a time.

Also, not mentioned is that you should never camp where a dead tree could fall on you in the night.

Personally, I think the risk of black bears and mountain lions is overrated. However, I did encounter a lion very very very close after I had just quartered an elk and there is no doubt that bear spray would have been deployed, but I didn't have any.

The most common threat in the woods is probably getting a water or tick borne disease, which is something that we don't think about very often. Either of them will shorten up your hunt but are highly unlikely to kill you.

14-Aug-18
In addition to all the above, I never leave home without a spool of parachute cord. Years ago I wove a belt out of about 10 yards of it, and don't leave camp without it. Our packs always have several 10-20' lengths. Great for a quick emergency shelter (contractor trash bags are light) , managing downed animals, whatever ( tourniquet).

14-Aug-18
I have the parachute cord..

I did order blood clot and a Kevlar glove today!

Thanks y’all...

My buddy slipped on wet deadfall two years ago, he got damn lucky to not have injured himself real bad

14-Aug-18
Altitude sickness-- never ignore it! Take a Wilderness First Aid course, it covers quite a bit.

I was shown one of the newer satellite based trackers last week, it will send text out.

14-Aug-18
Good idea on the glove. Does anyone have a link to the kevlar gloves they bought - theres a lot of options?

14-Aug-18
I just purchased the one on amazon with the most reviews and highest rating, think it was 9 bucks or so...

So any thoughts on wildfires? One may have just popped up near my curreny planned location... I’ll be following this one...

14-Aug-18
Destroyer, I just use an inexpensive fish fillet glove and it has served me well.

14-Aug-18
Thanks Jaq

14-Aug-18
Situational awareness....seems silly to say when hunting but don't forget to be aware of what is around you not just the animals you are hunting. Widow makers particularly. Footing. Slip and fall on a stob of a deadfall and you may get hurt badly. Slick rock or log. Where is that broadhead when you are in a dicey location where a fall could occur. It only takes a second to fork yourself up real bad. A little awareness can save the day.

If there is lightening striking at your elevation nearby.......scream like a little girl, throw that $1500 bow rig as far as you can, squat down and kiss your azz goodbye. That is what I do anyway. At Philmont Scout Ranch we were taught to spread out, avoid individual trees, squat to minimize your profile and minimize what part of your body was in contact with earth.....because that is what the lightening would exit and destroy....... Yay.

• Sitka Gear