Trial153 13-Aug-18
2 Points 13-Aug-18
sk hoyt 13-Aug-18
Scar Finga 13-Aug-18
Bigdan 13-Aug-18
Billyvanness 13-Aug-18
Charlie Rehor 13-Aug-18
13-Aug-18
I hunted that exact same hunt in 2016. While mornings were cool we were always moving after elk. Staying hydrated and cool was more the issue. Also bring good boots. The rocks will beat up your feet!

13-Aug-18
I would think the Apex line would be right up your alley Pat!

13-Aug-18
The new Apex is sweet, but might be too warm depending on conditions and your thermostat. The Ascent is awesome and would be well suited if you get too hot easily. In NM I use Ascent for Sept elk hunting. I never need to layer under my pants, but often in the mornings I'll add a layer on top.

My personal go-to NM Sept elk hunting lineup: Ascent Pants, Core Lightweight Bottom (optional), Core Lightweight Tee, Core Lightweight Hoody, Ascent Shirt, Kelvin Active Jacket, Ascent Gloves, Ascent Sun Hat.

13-Aug-18
I hunted the whole season last year in AZ. Wore the Ascent 100% of the time. Threw on the Flash pullover a couple times, the Kelvin Active Jacket a couple times, and a few mornings wore a medium base layer shirt over my Ascent stuff. The Apex would be a nice addition but for AZ (2 full seasons of bow hunting elk there in last 12 years) I would make the Ascent set priority.

13-Aug-18
Apex, Ascent and Kelvin Active and you’ll be good to go.

13-Aug-18
Being that’s its hot I would go with the New ascent pants. And lightweight hoody.

Apex hoody or heavyweight hoody for if it gets chilly

13-Aug-18
Ascent pants ( older version better then the new), Core lightweight Hoody Apex Hoody or core mid weight pull over. Jetstream vest Kelvin active.

13-Aug-18
U will want rain gear. Long sleeve shirt and a light weight zip up that you can collapse and easily fit into yer back pack. No need for long johns. Couple pair of good hiking boots and, good luck. there's some monsters in there. That's where I first started hunting elk.

13-Aug-18
sent you a pm

13-Aug-18
Afternoons can be really warm especially if you aren't used to it. I wear cotton pants a lot on my early hunts, sometimes my Sitka gear is a little to warm for me. Light weight shirts for the afternoon and rain gear. A light wind proof jacket and a beanie are always good as well.

13-Aug-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Pat I will be there at the same time hunting as you are It will be my 5th time hunting elk in az I will be wearing wind stopper lite weight Subalpine mountain jacket and matching Ascent pants i also have a Traverse cold weather hoddy set it has a facemask in the hood and matchingMountain pants my last hunt it rained 10 days of the 13 day season it has never been hot in elk country when i was there. but when i went into Mesa to get my wife at the airport it was real hot

13-Aug-18
Pat, second half of archery season you can get almost anything regarding weather on top of the Rim. Pack your Core and Ascent gear along with the new Apex. The Apex is designed for September in the mountain west certainly including Arizona and crafted with the elk hunter in mind. Don’t forget your rain gear and have a blast! That’ll be a great hunt.

13-Aug-18
Good luck all!

• Sitka Gear