t-roy 03-Apr-19
BullBuster 03-Apr-19
Mike-TN 03-Apr-19
BullBuster 03-Apr-19
Mark Watkins 03-Apr-19
t-roy 04-Apr-19
Mike-TN 05-Apr-19
13-Aug-18
Planning to broadcast radishes and wheat but would like to get other thoughts on what works well.

Mike

13-Aug-18
I seeded some wheat oats turnip mix into my standing beans yesterday. The beans were really thick and lush so I’m not sure what will happen. Looking for rain end of the week.

13-Aug-18
Mike, I have never done any brassicas into beans solely because the beans are usually tall and very green in July when you would plant radishes.

But, I have done all of the cereal grains into beans, right when they begin to yellow. This allows for more sunlight to reach the seedlings with enough time before it gets too cold in my area.

Last year I posted several pictures of my rye grain into beans, and it looked like a green carpet with dried standing beans. And the deer loved it. Found 3 sheds on 4 acres.

Good luck!

13-Aug-18
Will add, the bean leaves falling on the cereal seeds helps hold moisture and protect the seeds.

14-Aug-18
Ive had tremendous success in MN overseeding a brassica blend (Frosty Delight from G Pa Rays - a Bowste sponsor) into beans (30" rows) in late July.

Then coming back and overseeding winter rye and oats over he same areas about the first week in September

Ideally both of these are done right before a rain:)

Mark

14-Aug-18
Nothing wrong with putting on 100 lbs per acre of Triple 19 and 100 lbs of 46-0-0 when the brassicas are 4-6" tall for a good growth boost!

Should have added, we have coined this "the Bowhunter's Buffet!"

Mak

Mark

14-Aug-18
The uretha 46-0-0 good idea -have done myself over the years with success. Can really bring a Struggling brassica back. Have only done this when the crop is struggling - I guess would work in both situations as long as you have a handle on the weeds.

03-Apr-19

Mike-TN's embedded Photo
Mike-TN's embedded Photo
As a follow up to this thread, I did broadcast wheat and radishes into standing beans in mid September just before a big rain and it worked out Great!! The beans were fenced until mid July so most leaves had been browsed off by the time I broadcast. The radishes did not have time to produce much root but the tops were lush and along with the wheat mad a very attractive plot that produced my biggest buck to date

03-Apr-19
Congrats on a great buck, Mike!

03-Apr-19
Stud buck. Congrats. What date did u get him?

03-Apr-19

Mike-TN's embedded Photo
Mike-TN's embedded Photo
Oct 20th.... he showed up on the 13th and was running all over the farm and coming out in the food 1.5 hours before dark. Not the sharpest buck I have ever hunted and I think the credit goes largely to the food vs the hunter. In the 9 years my buddy and I have owned property it has become apparent that the bigger payoffs are tied to more time spent creating habitat and food and less time in the tree. We do not hunt until we know we have a big buck coming in. If he is coming in at night we wait for a drop in temps and get in the stand. The cooler temps get them on their feet early... especially in October when they are starting to think about does. When we first bought land a good friend and mentor told me “forget the rut... it’s all about the food”. He was right. We got this mid 160s 12 point on the mid October juvenile hunt in 2017. Cold front pushed through mid day and we had this buck and 5 others in the field including a 140 10 point a full 1.5 hours before dark. I was sitting right next to the kid.... one of the best hunts of my life.

03-Apr-19
Interesting. The “October lull” which is just a shift in food sources actually shifts to yours.

03-Apr-19
Mike,

Congrats on two great bucks!!!

I would agree with your statements you listed above!

Broadcasting (brassicas, winter rye and oats) into standing beans and then running the four wheeler down the rows to get good seed to soil contact has been one of the most effective deer plotting strategies we have witnessed.

Mark

04-Apr-19
Unfortunately, the broadleaf herbicide I use to control water hemp/pigweed in my beans, has a long enough residual that I can’t interseed brassicas into it, however, the rye does extremely well. If using certain broadleaf herbicides and interseeding brassicas,you need make sure there aren’t any residual issues.

05-Apr-19
Good point t-roy..... I use eagle beans and control weeds with round up. Works well for broadcasting in September.

• Sitka Gear