Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ElkNut1 14-Aug-18
GregE 15-Aug-18
Horn Donkey 17-Aug-18
ElkNut1 17-Aug-18
14-Aug-18

The Slow Play!

The Breeding Sequence in Slow Play form can attract just about any bull, you will need patience & confidence as you allow the situation to develop on those less aggressive buglers. Here are some examples! By the way, when done right you will bring the majority of bulls in with a good setup, nearest to their Destination spot is best, they are less likely to move away! This is not a dogging the herd sequence where the elk are on the move to a destination! Generally elk are in their daytime bedding areas by 10 a.m. so anytime after that your odds are good to employ this Sequence for best results!

Regular Breeding Sequence!

#1 - Multiple bulls bugling in one area. -- This encounter has high odds there's a hot cow in their midst with the herd bull keeping the satellites at bay, the perfect setting! A Breeding Sequence here will most likely bring the Satellites in, it's what brought them there in the first place. Get to 150 yards or so, setup & go for it! The herd bull will respond to your Sequence but generally will not come your way & leave his cows so don't be too concerned with him with those Satellites nearby! Watch for those Satellites sneaking in on Search Mode as you go through the Sequence!

Slow Play Sequence!

#2 - You locate a bull with a lethargic/lazy bugle near bedding area, he responded to you or he bugled on his own, it doesn't matter. This bull is not in Challenge Bugle mode, DON'T CHALLENGE HIM! This is a Slow Play situation & where Most Hunters go wrong! You want to slowly raise his curiosity & get him excited, this will drag him in as you go through your Display of Raking, Light Stomping, A Few Pants, Soft Glunks & 2-3 soft cow calls, all this plants the seed you have a cow coming into estrus! Keep repeating it adding a few voice Glunks here & there sparingly, you can even trade the Pants for Glunks or add the two together at times as you mix up this sequence as you play it up, do not be predictable in your Sequence, even modify your volume for any sound to almost a whisper at times, mix it up you are not a tape recorder! All this will slowly arouse this lethargic bull to showing up silent or turn vocal trying to call the cow his way. If that happens you will notice he is coming your way as he stops to call to her, that's your time for that mid range Challenge Bugle, you're telling him to stay away, this really sells it & he will keep coming & calling, adjust your return Challenge bugles according to the intensity of his bugles, quit calling when you know he's getting close!

Slow Play Sequence!

#3 - Number 2 would also apply to a herd bull that has no hot cows therefore isn't being harassed by satellites. You would treat him the same as a satellite bull in the above info!

These are a couple examples how you would tailor your calling to attract any bull your way! Whatever you try keep your calling/Raking/Displaying as natural & believable as possible, think like an elk! You will find the majority of bulls you target will eventually come over! Have the faith, patience & a tight solid setup!

ElkNut/Paul

15-Aug-18
Thanks Paul, hadn't read a thorough explanation on this.

Slow play is about my speed anyway...... :)

17-Aug-18
Paul--You sent me your playbook several years ago. I can't remember why, but it arrived in the mail. You post up wisdom from 10's of thousands of hours in the field pursuing elk. You put up awesome content on youtube and your website.

Heading back to Colorado September 18th for a backcountry adventure carrying everything I need on my back. Your book has been with me on all of my trips since you sent it, and it will be with me again this time.

I can't tell you how grateful I am. Thank you. I aspire to have an agenda that is half as selfless. I hope you get the fulfillment you deserve from this year's elk season.

17-Aug-18
Greg, ha ha, you & me both, really pay close attention to it, it's a killer Sequence that can be tailored to just about any encounter!

Richard, thanks for your thoughts there, it's good to hear how info shared through sites can be an asset to many. I enjoy talking elk for sure & if someone can glean just a tid bit from it then that's awesome, just passing it on! Good luck to you this year & stay safe on those bivy style hunts!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear