ELKMAN 15-Aug-18
DConcrete 15-Aug-18
wilhille 15-Aug-18
Kevin Paul 15-Aug-18
Forest bows 15-Aug-18
wyobullshooter 15-Aug-18
Kevin Paul 15-Aug-18
14-Aug-18
So I'm hoping to take my first elk this season on a cow tag and want some input on how you guys choose which cow to take when multiple cows are available. I know to leave wet cows alone and to avoid the lead cow, but how do you determine which is the lead cow while they're standing around grazing? What criteria do you use to choose?

14-Aug-18
I shoot the first cow that gives me a shot - wet, dry or lead cow.

Never heard of leaving the lead cow or wet cow alone.

14-Aug-18
The one that is most relaxed and a great shot angle.

Lead cows are one of the most paranoid things in the elk woods set your bar high and go for one of those. lol.

14-Aug-18
By the time September rolls around, most calves will survive on their own.

I'm shooting the fatty !

14-Aug-18
Same as cnelk

14-Aug-18
Best/ easiest shot. All shots being equal I’m picking the biggest one. Of course if it’s a steep uphill haul I might choose a calf. ;)

14-Aug-18
(Stupid Phone)

cnelk and link x 2

14-Aug-18
I like to crawl in really close and check their udders, maybe give a little tug if possible. Nice flat ones on a smaller cow means a dry yearling. My favorite.

Back here on earth I shoot the one that presents the best shot..

14-Aug-18
Don't overthink yourself out of an elk.

14-Aug-18
I prefer the one that’s uphill from the truck! Good luck!

14-Aug-18
If you're on a waterhole, I'd be a lot more selective. Shoot the one without the calf or pass the ones with. If you're out and about, about impossible to know. You will know after you shoot though when there is a calf hanging around that won't leave mewing every second on the second for two days straight.

14-Aug-18
Lol jaq. Give it a little tug!

14-Aug-18
I'd take the first clear broadside shot, but would prefer it to be big and dry. No other criteria...

14-Aug-18
LMAO at Lou!!!!!

14-Aug-18
I'm going to try to avoid "Cougar elk" with their saggy udders.

14-Aug-18
Don't over think it. As soon as you get the drop on one pull the trigger.

Go through you're check list and make it happen.

14-Aug-18
In my years of elk hunting I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I could have picked and chosen which cow to shoot.

It's not like it's that common to be surrounded by a herd of cows all offering good shots.

I agree... don't overthink it...

14-Aug-18
Link x3...elk calf is the best venison that I've ever had.

14-Aug-18
Well, thanks for all the answers especially the smarty ones! : ) Damn funny! Didn't realize calves would be good on their own at that point. Regarding lead cows, I'd just heard they can be a bit tougher and the meat not as tasty.

If I can get a hold of a teat I'll give it a good squeeze...never miss that opportunity.

14-Aug-18
"...never miss that opportunity " Ha ha, good philosophy to live by!

I've shot a wet cow, lead cow and calf. Calf the best eating! Wouldn't hesitate to shoot another one.

14-Aug-18
If I had a cow tag and there were 7 cows I would pick out a yearling, close to the house then have my grandkids help skin and quarter it.

14-Aug-18
Had a pic to go with that post but it didn't work....

14-Aug-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I shot this bull calf from my tree stand back in 2011. Don’t underestimate the size of a elk calf.

It was a real chore to hang it by myself

14-Aug-18
Most all the cows I've had were pretty wet! :-)

14-Aug-18
The biggest calf , or the one in front of me.

14-Aug-18
I agree, take the first one that presents a shot however make sure you don't have another critter right behind her. At 25 yards, you are going to get a pass thru, don't wont to injure the second cow behind her.

14-Aug-18
I like the same ones Lou likes!

14-Aug-18
Wet or lead, pretty hard to tell, and never heard that you should pass on them. I shot the first one that gave me a good shot. That worked well on three cows.

14-Aug-18
Like stated the first one that gives you a good shot opportunity take it.

14-Aug-18
Sounds like Midwest is into some forplay before he shoots a cow.

14-Aug-18
Michael, also sounds like there is flour On his gear list....

14-Aug-18

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
A sense of humor is a wonderful thing this time of year..........

14-Aug-18
guess that's how the Cow gets wet.

14-Aug-18
You need to quit drinking so much Midwest.

14-Aug-18
Don’t let the bowsite elk gods push you to do something you may regret. If you find yourself in a herd, look for a mid size cow that possibly is not of breeding age yet(heifer) as they will be the best tasting and least affective to the herd. Good momma cows make for lots of little bulls hopefully! Just my HO.

14-Aug-18
Hate to break it to you, but a cow in her 2nd season is perfectly capable of being bred.

As far as the “bowsite elk gods” go, I’d suggest someone looking for advice on how best to kill their first elk would be better served following their advice rather than someone from Kentucky that advises them to be selective. Just my HO.

14-Aug-18
I remember very well what it was like being a first year elk hunter. As well as a 2nd and 3rd....

My best advice is this. Shoot the first legal elk you have a chance at.

10% of elk hunters shoot 90% of the elk. Up your odds the most you can to be in the 10% crowd.

I have learned a lot about elk hunting by paying attention to the elk gods on bowsite. They will not steer you wrong.

14-Aug-18
Shoot the one that offers you the best shot. If it is the lead cow, all the better. Revenge for all of her sisters who have screwed me.

14-Aug-18
Not trying to step on toes but what would be better for the herd

14-Aug-18
As I pointed out , the only cow that isn’t capable of being bred is a calf.

What’s better for the herd is determined by wildlife biologists, which make recommendations to the Game Commision, which in turn set quotas and seasons. These quotas are based on many factors, including winter mortality. Any area that allows antlerless elk to be taken are above objective. What’s better for the herd has been determined long before the season even starts.

As has been said before, if you have an any elk, or antlerless elk permit, you’d be wise to shoot the first legal elk that gives you an opportunity. Once you have one, or more, under your belt, THAT’S when you should become more selective if you so choose.

14-Aug-18
Nothin' eats (or packs out) better than an elk calf.

I believe a bull calf would be best if you were just looking at improving numbers. Most tags don't actually say "cow" if I recall, but are "antlerless". If the numbers are there a cow would be best for management goals. All depends on management goals.

15-Aug-18
In the units cnelk and I hunt, the bull-cow ratio is way skewed, largely caused by decades of outfitting on the big low country ranches. Hunters pay a lot and want to shoot bulls. Some outfits I know (and one I guided for) dont allow ANY cows to be shot. More is better...

There are hundreds of "B" list tags available and the CPW practically throws a parade if you take home a cow. If you shoot a trifecta of a coyote, a cow, and a bear they make you mayor for a day.

15-Aug-18
I wait for the Bull to show up. Cows are necessary to make bulls... More cows= more bulls. So I have never shot a cow.

15-Aug-18
It’s a cow tag. So after you’ve Waited for the bull to show up, you’ll need to wait for the game warden too. Details. It’s always in the details

15-Aug-18
Stick and string wins! That's hilarious!

15-Aug-18
Any thoughts on the more ideal time to bow hunt cows? Curious how well they respond to calls pre rut vs peak rut.

15-Aug-18
How far from the truck are you?

15-Aug-18
Anytime can be good. A lost calf call can bring them in on a string. That said, I personally think it’s easier during peak rut. Hopefully the bulls are talking so you know exactly where they are. Be smart as you get close. Although it’s typically a target-rich environment, that also means there are more eyes, ears, and noses to bust you. Be patient and you will very likely have at least one provide you with a good shot opportunity.

15-Aug-18
"How far from the truck are you?"

Probably within a few miles.

• Sitka Gear