John.Bonez 14-Aug-18
WV Mountaineer 14-Aug-18
Aspen Ghost 14-Aug-18
ElkNut1 15-Aug-18
flybyjohn 20-Aug-18
John.Bonez 21-Aug-18
Kodiak 21-Aug-18
14-Aug-18
Over the last few months I've put in time behind a computer, at the gym and in the field preparing myself for my first OTC archery elk hunt in Colorado. With a little work I've managed to locate a bachelor heard of 6 legal bulls, 2 spikes and 2 unknowns (found on 8/11) all on public land. I now need to figure out an approach moving forward and game day plan.

First - 3 of the Bulls were sparring at around 7am - Should I be concerned that they may change from a summer routine to a pre-rut routine before opening day on August 25th?

Second - Should I go back this weekend to check on them or leave them be and assume they'll be there opening morning (leaning heavily towards going back this weekend).

Opening morning - What is everyone's opinion on the best hunting strategy for early season opening mornings - Do I plan to be in position by sunrise opening morning? or glass them opening morning to make sure they'll be there and then hunt them that evening?

I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance.

14-Aug-18
You're doing well for sure. Go find the cows. In my experience they all start moving somewhere between the 15th and 17th of August to where they will rut. The timing is almost perfect every year, but the where either for the summer range for both and the location of where the ruckus will take place are far from any certainty.

You will likely find the biggest bulls dragging behind a bit. They tend to enter the mix around the 3-5th of Sept for the peak of breeding between the 15th and 22nd or so.

Those are just my rules of thumb, but your area's may be a bit different.

In any case enjoy, you are probably going to be having a pretty cool year.

Cheers, Pete

14-Aug-18
Don't scout this weekend.. but go the night before opener and try to locate.. then make a plan for the morning, they should be in the same general area.... Are you backcountry? Or can you spot this area from an area where you don't have to get too close and potentially bump them, like 1-2 miles away? Sounds like you found a good group.. watch the wind and shoot straight.. good luck

14-Aug-18
Not backcountry but a nasty little 4/5 mile hike in to where they are - 2 miles to the spotting location. If I'm using my glass from 2.5 miles away am I okay to go this weekend?

14-Aug-18
I'd go alright. But, I'd look for more elk in other places to have a plan B, C, and D

14-Aug-18
Go scouting this weekend but look for other elk in other places. A lot can happen before the opener and you want options if those elk are no where to be found.

15-Aug-18
John, if heading back over for another scouting trip is doable without adding family hardships into the equation by all means seriously consider it. No such thing as too much scouting when trying to keep tabs on your target elk. I'd make sure I kept my distance & only checked out the needed area via glassing since it's fairly open country & you know they're there. Try to get a feel where they are entering or coming out of cover/timber, this will aid you on the opener. There's a good chance if not bumped they won't be far off from where they are now.

I too would get there a day early to confirm there where abouts or if you have to re-locate them.

Come opening morning if I knew where they came out of the timber early & late & their trails of use I'd certainly want to be there for a possible ambush from their comings & goings. If not possible & I knew aprox where they entered the cover I'd be over in their vicinity & try to get 150-200 yards from them with myself in thick cover & call them my way via Advertising myself as a new bull in the area. At no time do I want to see these elk or them to see where the source of the calling is coming from until they are in my range. Those Lonesome Charlie type Advertising bugles, moans & groans with light chuckling raking & light foot stomping is more than those raghorns can take, they just gotta know who you are & size you up! -- Many bulls have fallen victim to an Advertising Sequence that time of pre-rut! You will need to call off & on for 30 minutes so be prepared mentally to do so & have your head on a swivel, rare is the case they try to come in down-wind, they generally will come right towards your calling or the easiest route. Do Not Cow Call!!!! They rarely bugle so expect a silent approach!

If they do not show & they do not see or smell you they will remain in the area so you haven't hurt a thing. Be confident though, they will come!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Aug-18
It seems to me that the elk will rut in the same area year after year. I sometimes don't see a cow elk in an area until 2-3 weeks before the rut. There will usually be a bull or two there during the summer but many more bulls show up as soon as the cows show up.

I would say if you can find the cows, your in good shape, the bulls will find them too.

21-Aug-18
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

21-Aug-18
4-5 miles is more than I'm willing to pack out an elk. My limit is about 3.

• Sitka Gear