Russ Koon 18-Aug-18
camoguy 18-Aug-18
ground hunter 18-Aug-18
Bowriter 19-Aug-18
longbeard 19-Aug-18
Buck Watcher 19-Aug-18
camoguy 19-Aug-18
17-Aug-18
I injured the ligaments in both shoulders three years ago and after a season of struggling to draw my bow I gave in and bought a crossbow. Last year I used Muzzy 100gr. three blades which had been my standby for regular bowhunting, but now I am leaning towards going mechanical.

With that in mind, I have pretty much narrowed my search down to 2 options: NAP Spitfire or Rage Hypodermic. Any input that anyone can give me regarding these two options is appreciated and I am also open to other suggestions.

Also, if anyone knows the difference between NAP Spitfire and NAP Spitfire for crossbows that would also be appreciated. The website literally uses the same image and description for both, so I am unsure if there is actually a difference.

Thanks in advance.

17-Aug-18
There is no difference that im aware of, it is my understanding that manufacturers starting writing Crossbow on packs of their broadheads because some people shooting crossbows would be more likely to buy a head labeled crossbow than one not labeled crossbow.

17-Aug-18
That makes sense. Thanks

17-Aug-18
I would go with the new Hypodermic TRYPANS. Used them last year and was really impressed. Even better than the “older” Rage heads. I will be shooting the Trypans from now on. Better (thicker) replacement blades, better blade angle, better shock collar and much easier to replace blades!( no tip blade to replace now)

17-Aug-18
Check out the G5 Deadmeat. From reviews I watched they all say it’s a tough head and penetrates well.

18-Aug-18
NAP spitfire crossbow used to be 1.75" and regular spitfire was 1.5". I think both are now 1.5" and the kept crossbow named version for marketing. Great heads.

18-Aug-18
For at least three years, I have been very pleased with Wasp Deulers. Fly great, big hole, good blood trail. Don't know what else you could ask for.

18-Aug-18
What is the reason you want to use mechanicals? I see nothing but disadvantages using them.

I talked to QAD about the Exodus Crossbow heads. They told me the only different is the washer is bigger to match the larger diameter crossbow bolts. I don't know about Spitfire, I wont use a mechanical. Well, I do use NAP Gobbler Getters for turkey.

18-Aug-18
Good friend has been hunting w/ crossbow for years (bad shoulders after many years w/verticals) and he swears by his Spitfires. I bought some and tried them out. Never felt the need to use them with my regular compounds, but I think if I was going to hunt with one, the Spitfire would be my pick,based on his recommendation and the accuracy and durability they displayed in my practice sessions. I do have a crossbow now, and will probably go with the Spitfires if I need to use it, but it looks like I may cheat Father Time and hunt withe my trusty Mathews again this fall. I will be sighting in the x-bow soon, though, just in case.

18-Aug-18
@BUCKeye That is the impression I am getting. I emailed NAP and asked what the diff was and so far I have gotten no reply, so I imagine there is none.

@ Bwriter I have a BAD history with Wasp. I won't go into details, but I switched to Muzzy's from Wasp and have never looked back.

@BuckWatcher I used to be anti-mechanical because I witnessed a few failure-to-open issues with them, but over the years I have seen significant enough improvements to be convinced that they do their job. I have my crossbow set for ranges of 25, 35, 45, and 55 yards and I feel that at longer ranges I should see significant improvement in accuracy with a broadhead that flies more like a target point. My current groups at 25 ad 35 hold tight at 1-2 inches, but once I start shooting at 45 & 55 those groups open up to 3.5-4 inches and I would like to try and tighten those up.

@Russ Koon Thanks for the input. I have not heard a single bad thing about Spitfires and am leaning heavily in that direction. I watched some videos on YouTube that blew my mind in how quickly the animals bled out.

18-Aug-18
for a xbow, a nap kill zone is a no brainer,,,, get some and go hunt.... do not over think this................

19-Aug-18
Bwriter I have a BAD history with Wasp. I won't go into details, but I switched to Muzzy's from Wasp and have never looked back.

I too had a bad history with the old, fixed blade Wasp. Switched to Thunderheads many years ago and loved them. Friend sent me six Deulers and I tried them. Since then, I have killed about 12-deer with them. I too, have never looked back. Funny, I had the same experience with Dodge trucks. Now, I am driving one of them, too. Wonder if the same holds true of wives?

19-Aug-18
I don’t understand BW rational on this but whatever. I have had great results from Spitfires and more recently Swhackers out of my crossbow. With my compound I’ve killed dozens of critters with Spitfires and Rocket Sidewinders.

19-Aug-18
I shot over a dozen deer with Spitfires and 2 with Rage. The last one I shot with a Spitfire I hit the shoulder blade (#80 bow/ACCs at 18 yards). The BH stuck in it, arrow sticking out at a 90* angle. I heard the arrow slapping trees as it ran away. I saw the deer 2 weeks later with the arrow still sticking out. I believe if I used a Hellrazor or Exodus the arrow would have penetrated the shoulder blade.

I shot 2 deer with a Rage. The second hit a rib going in. Found the arrow about 50 yards away with about 4" of blood on it. Only cut one lung. The damage to the Rage made me never use one again. It looked like a wrinkled beer can with a bent ferrule, broken tip and 2 broken blades. They are not durable enough for me. If it wasn't for fresh snow we would have never found it. Tracked it over a mile, often by track alone without any blood.

That is why I won't use a Mechanical. I saw failures first hand. I plan for a perfect shot but prepare for a poor one. I use a sharp, solid, fixed BH screwed on a heavy arrow.

19-Aug-18
Buckwatcher what poundage are you shooting? My regular bow is 72# and I never had anything stick in a shoulder blade before with it. The last time I had that happen was way back when I was using a Bear Whitetail II.

• Sitka Gear