Shawn 17-Aug-18
drycreek 17-Aug-18
Chris S 19-Aug-18
Shawn 19-Aug-18
Topgun 30-06 19-Aug-18
Ambush 19-Aug-18
Chris S 19-Aug-18
17-Aug-18
Just curious if anyone has built a platform to put their pop up blind or hub style blind on top. I have a couple spots where the fields are hilly coming out of the woods so not thinking about a super tall tower. Just 4 to6 feet off the ground would allow me to see much more terrain and also not make for super sharp downward shooting angles. A buddy welded a frame for me that would need 4x4 legs but needs some additional welding supports for a floor and I think I want a rail around as well to prevent going to close to edge. Would be interested in some pics of what guys have done. Thanks Stay safe.

17-Aug-18
Buy a section of used scaffold. Cheap, easy to transport and set up. You’ll need a couple of ratchet straps, diagonal, to take the noise out.

17-Aug-18
Just buy 4 treated 4"x4"posts for legs and a few 2 by 6s to make a floor. Cut everything to size to take out to your spot or do it out there if you can get to it with a PU or ATV. Several 2"x2" lengths for the horizontal rails to tie them into the corner posts for rails and to anchor the blind to and you're all set. Not much money is involved and it wouldn't take more than a couple hours to make if the ground isn't too bad to sink the posts into. If you get treated posts it will last forever.

17-Aug-18

Ambush's embedded Photo
Six feet from the ground. One section.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Six feet from the ground. One section.

17-Aug-18
I used a section of scaffold when I put my last deer stand up. I put a round fiberglass blind on it, build some sturdy wood steps. Quick and easy setup. Placed the scaffold legs on some flat creek rocks and in 2 yrs nothing has settled.

If I put up another hunting tower I will use a 10 ft high 4'x8' section of commercial storage racks I was given free.

17-Aug-18
Sportsmans guide sell one. They are only around 200 bucks and with coupon codes and such I bought two of them for 300 bucks, they are actually very nice for me the money!! Shawn

17-Aug-18
Mine are on 2.5' legs. I just cut a 10' 4x4 into equal pieces. That's high enough that critters won't den under it and low enough to not need a handrail on the steps. I use the pre-sawed step thingys and put 2x8 boards on for the steps. Be careful how high you go or you can't shoot really close to it with some popups. Nothing worse than a deer so close your arrow won't clear the bottom of the window. All my home made blinds used to be on the ground until I got tired of rats and bugs, and I had to re-do my windows when I lifted them.

19-Aug-18

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Here is the frame my buddy welded with scrap he had in shop. He made sleeves for 4x4 on corners on the same angle as elevator brand legs. Problem is that it is 4’5” square and both of my blinds are about 6square on the bottom. So I don’t want any unsupported plywood hanging over edge seems like an accident waiting to happen. I think I’m going to grind of corner sleeves and buy some 6’ pieces for him to weld back together and then use this left ov e as middle support beams for the plywood. Easier said than done but that’s my goal anyway.

19-Aug-18
II should say the ones at Sportsman guide are 10 ft. I just saw one at Cabelas that was 5ft high for $179 I believe. Shawn

19-Aug-18
Hey Chris S! Rather than go to all that trouble, why don;t you just buy some 2x8s or 2x10s and make a floor with them with the needed overhang for you blind. Using that thick lumber should eliminate your worry about using plywood due to the overhanging problem you mentioned. The underside of them could be tied together with a strip or two of lumber to keep them in place as your floor.

19-Aug-18
Bolt the floor to the frame and that seven inches of overhang is nothing.

19-Aug-18
Here is the frame my buddy welded with scrap he had in shop. He made sleeves for 4x4 on corners on the same angle as elevator brand legs. Problem is that it is 4’5” square and both of my blinds are about 6square on the bottom. So I don’t want any unsupported plywood hanging over edge seems like an accident waiting to happen. I think I’m going to grind of corner sleeves and buy some 6’ pieces for him to weld back together and then use this left ov e as middle support beams for the plywood. Easier said than done but that’s my goal anyway.

• Sitka Gear