sticksender 26-Aug-18
SteveB 28-Aug-18
Korey Wolfe 28-Aug-18
elkstabber 28-Aug-18
TEmbry 28-Aug-18
GregE 28-Aug-18
elkstabber 28-Aug-18
17-Aug-18
For those of you that fly, what are you taking your bow in? I know the Badlands Terra Glide is pretty popular, but hard to find. In the past I have used my Plano bow case with no issues.

17-Aug-18
SKB double bow case. Bow in bottom, arrows in slot clothes and gear packed tightly on top.

17-Aug-18
I fly with a Terra Glide, but as you stated, hard to find, too bad because it’s the best. I have seen guys use the Sitka Nomad (and I own one), and a similar case by 5.11, not sure the name/number of it. If using a hard case I think pretty dang tough to beat an SKB.

—jim

17-Aug-18
Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel. Huge, $159 last winter, works great for me. I put one or two bows in a soft case, along with all my other gear inside the duffel.

17-Aug-18
x2 for the soft case in a big duffel. Real handy to have at times, depending on the hunt.

17-Aug-18
The new Sitka case is nice for air travel.

17-Aug-18
SKB

17-Aug-18
The 'black' TerraGlide...Love it! If I didn't have that I'd look at the Sitka as Kota pointed out...

17-Aug-18
SKB. Double bow. I always take a back up bow on out of state hunts. Leaving tmw for Alaska.

18-Aug-18
I prefer a soft case also But. If your looking for an SKB type Check out the “ENKI” AMG Roto-Molded 2-Bow Case on Black Ovis. It’s the most ridiculously overbuilt 2 bow protection case. It’s pricey though and heavy like an SKB double. I have one and it easily carries 2 bows, arrows, accessories and some clothing packed in to boot. With one bow it should be the only checked bag you need.

18-Aug-18
Skb double

18-Aug-18
So do you guys prefer the duffle with wheels? Anyone prefer the duffle without wheels? A soft case inside a duffle sounds like a good deal for me.

18-Aug-18
skb

18-Aug-18
Another vote for SKB (double) here

18-Aug-18
SKB double. It's flown 50+ times in the past 12 years. They just sent me new latches (free). Only took me 20 minutes to install all four. The SKB warranty is excellent. I believe the model I have is called the ATA.

18-Aug-18
SKB double rectangle

19-Aug-18
Wheels and an extendable handle on the duffel make a big 50# or 70# bag a whole lot easier to move around at an airport or hotel. They are not fun to carry in your hand or on your shoulder that is for sure.

19-Aug-18
I do a Duffle with wheels as well, my second bag....If you ever fly into Ketchikan, AK, you’ll know why! ;-)

19-Aug-18
Did Badlands discontinue the Terra Glide - if so WHY?

19-Aug-18
S K B with TSA locks, arrows, quiver and then clothes to add a little extra padding all kept unde weight.

Once you see you now get thrown in or off the belt by on of the “ handlers” , you purchase an SKB.

19-Aug-18
Man you guys who like a soft case in a duffel are brave! I’ve watched luggage handlers unload the oversized luggage , which included, guns, golf clubs & bows on two occasions and after watching the guys launch the gun cases and other luggage I’d never fly with anything but a good hard case with clothes packed around the bow.

19-Aug-18
All my clothes are around the bow (s) that are in the soft case inside the duffel. Sleeping bag too. No issues.

19-Aug-18
I’ve traveled a ton with the SKB Double, the Terraglide and the Sitka Nomad. My only broken bow on arrival was in the SKB Double. Guessing they drove over it...

19-Aug-18
The TerraGlide has a hardened bottom and stiffer sides...My bow is in a bow sling that has padded Cam pockets, then I still pace clothes and that around it and on top...

20-Aug-18
Korey Wolfe, if I can "scab" onto your thread, I have the same question, but I will be travelling with a 70" longbow.

Anyone here fly with a non-takedown stickbow?

I was thinking PVC pipe tubes, one for arrows, another for bow, duct taped together and check them?

20-Aug-18
Fuzzy, I've taken fishing rods to and from Alaska inside PVC pipe. It works great.

20-Aug-18
great, thanks Rooster!

20-Aug-18
I've got a different approach on flying with a bow: I always pack a pistol in with it.

It forces TSA to inspect it in front of me, and then it's locked with my own padlocks by me and they do not allow anyone else to "randomly inspect" it along the way (you know, where they insert a paper saying the federal govt authorizes them to completely ransack and unpad whatever you carefully packed?). No thieves at baggage claim, as I have to show my bag tag at the agent to get it back, and it's a massive pain in their ass if they fail to get the bag on the same flight as me. Never had a bag not make it, undamaged.

Food for thought...

21-Aug-18
As said the Terra Glide is not a loose duffle bag. It has 3 rigid sides. It draws less attention. The badlands emblem can be removed. Less weight more stealth. The thief’s are all distracted opening the rifle/bow cases.

21-Aug-18
SKB for me with the soft case inside so I have that to use once I reach my destination. Even with the soft case, there is still room for extra clothes, gear, etc.

23-Aug-18
Popeye, that sounds like a good idea and I'm sure it works well for the very reasons you stated. Pistols aren't allowed just everywhere so be sure to check with your destination on their rules...I'm going to Canada and can't carry there.

26-Aug-18
Been using a Plano all weather, the one with gasket to keep dust out, and it has worked great. Got it from Cabelas on sale for $100.

26-Aug-18
Why would anyone "want" a soft case/duffle for airline travel? Have you guys seen how they handle stuff?

26-Aug-18
“The part you get to see”. The rough handling is not an issue for a terra glide type case. Short of the jet crashing or the plane running the case over. It is plenty enough protection against drops and throws. What worries me most is grubby hands pawing through my case. And the added hassle of the rifle looking case getting put in the rifle check area. More wasted time and hassle at baggage claim. The Terra glide comes off the carousel looking like any anonymous bag. Most likely no grubby mits or anti hunter mischief either. Not guaranteed of course but if a plain looking black bag and a $200 SKB are side by side which draws the eye of the anti hunter or thief airline employee. It’s all about what gives YOU the piece of mind.

26-Aug-18
As long as the Terra Glide lasts, I'll continue to use it. I put the bow in a Primos sling, then inside a soft case, then inside the black Terra Glide surrounded by layers of clothes. It's about as bomb-proof that way as any hard case. With the advantage over a traditional hard case being that you're gear travels incognito and far less likely to be the target of hunter-hating baggage handlers ;-)

28-Aug-18
SKB Double here too. I’ve had two damaged by airlines over the years and SKB replaced at no charge both times.

28-Aug-18
I received my Cabela's rolling duffel today. With the extra stiff protection on the bottom and sides I think it will work great.

Do you guys put a layer of clothes on the bottom or does the bow case go all the way on the bottom?

28-Aug-18
Be sure to check out the Legend Everest 40. It is in between the Sitka Nomad and the Cabela's version in both size and cost. It looks like it was purposely built for carrying a compound bow and gear to comply with the airline regulations. I've only flown one round trip so far but very happy with it.

28-Aug-18
I’ve flown a lot with my cabelas rolling duffle. I trust it as much as my SKB for protection. I pack the bow in the hard bottom with arrows in an arrow tube and stuff soft clothes around it. Never had a problem.

28-Aug-18
A thought reading this- What are the baggage charges for these cases?

G

28-Aug-18
GregE: That's a tough question to answer because it depends on the mood of the airline employee on that day.

The hard cases that will fit a compound bow are all oversize (over 64" total). The rolling duffel types are probably all oversize but just barely by a few inches and since they are soft and resemble lots of other people's luggage they seem to rarely get measured. Always keep your hard case or rolling duffel under 50# and you'll rarely have additional charges.

• Sitka Gear