cnelk 27-Aug-18
Kurt 27-Aug-18
oldgoat 27-Aug-18
Ambush 27-Aug-18
Jethro 27-Aug-18
altitude sick 27-Aug-18
Turk 27-Aug-18
19-Aug-18
I got aDeLorme Inreach a couple years ago before I went to Alaska moose hunting. I absolutely love it.

Most of the year, I have it on the basic plan - $15/mo - limited txts. In the fall I switch it to Unlimited plan -$60/mo. You can suspend service at anytime too

Its a great unit, especially if hunting with others that also have one as you can communicate between devices too.

It has 'Pre-set' messages. Meaning you can select 3 people to get unlimited amount of these. I set mine up like this: "Checking in. All ok. No need to reply"

You can also set up a few 'Quick Txts' - i.e. "Animal Down. Head this way"

Each message has 260 characters so be sure to tell who ever youre sending messages to, to use up the message field if the situation needs a lot of communication.

Some may say " I dont like texting back and forth when Im hunting" and thats fine. But I do know for those at home really enjoy the communication.

Paired with my smart phone, I can use Bluetooth and use my phone to send messages much easier, look at pre-loaded aerial pics, track my route....

Like I mentioned, I take it with me everywhere outdoors

19-Aug-18
Qs about the InReach: If you activate the emergency rescue beacon feature, who/where is that signal sent to? How are rescue decisions made and first responders notified? Is there an increased potential for evacuation costs to be assessed? Thanks.

19-Aug-18
Garmin inreach seems like the most viable option at this point, I been using it for 4 years. First Delorm now Garmin. There are three models, pick the one that has the functionality you need. For me it double as back up GPS, serves as my primary communication when no cell coverage is available and it’s extremely handy for communication in the back country, between parties, transporters ect. If your married....get the unlimited message plan

19-Aug-18

cnelk's Link
What Happens When a User Triggers an SOS on an inReach? Imagine a scenario where you or a family member is critically injured in a remote location. At this moment, you realize that you haven't updated your inReach user profile with appropriate emergency contacts. When an SOS situation occurs, decisions need to be made quickly and correctly. It's best to understand what happens when a user triggers an SOS on an inReach and prepare before a crisis happens and the stakes are high.

This article shares tips on how to update your inReach user profile. In addition, Kevin Stamps, Director of Global Operations at the International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) at GEOS, explains how staff at the IERCC will respond when an individual triggers an SOS on an inReach and provides additional guidance on best practices for use of an inReach during an emergency.

Triggering an SOS and Communicating with the IERCC

When a user triggers an SOS on an inReach—at any time and at any location on the globe—the device automatically sends a message to the IERCC at GEOS with an indication that the inReach user has an emergency.

The staff at the IERCC will respond: "This is the IERCC, we have received your SOS activation. What is the nature of your emergency?"

Immediately, the IERCC has the exact location coordinates sent from the inReach device, and GEOS software will provide information to IERCC staff about emergency service providers who can respond at that location. Stamps notes that GEOS has established relationships with first response agencies and rescue coordination centers around the world and that they are constantly updating their database.

Seconds after the response to the SOS message is sent, multiple people at the IERCC begin to follow a set of procedures. GEOS operates in the same model as the COSPAS-SARSAT system and follows procedures established by the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue (IAMSAR) manual. GEOS also works with the National Search and Rescue Committee (NSARC) and the Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services (RTCM) in the United States, as well as other committees and agencies around the world to establish best-in-class protocols for responding to emergencies.

According to these established national and international search and rescue protocols, IERCC staff are required to try to communicate with the registered user of the inReach device via the contact information provided on inReach.Garmin.com. This step is required to attempt to rule out a false alarm and possibly devoting emergency resources unnecessarily. However, at the same time the IERCC has initiated contact with the appropriate responsible agency based on incident information. Even though the IERCC may soon discover that the SOS message was unintentional, Stamps explains, "It's easier to stop a search and rescue operation than to start one."

While this outreach effort is happening behind the scenes, a staff member at the IERCC is communicating with the individual inReach user in the field. It's important for the inReach user to respond quickly to the message from the IERCC, says Stamps. "The first message a user sends should be the reason for the SOS activation. Be clear and brief."

Minutes are critical when relaying information to first responders. GEOS needs to understand the situation in the field to provide the best and most accurate information to a search and rescue organization. They may also need to contact additional agencies depending on the type of emergency. For example, in the United States, in the event of a plane crash the IERCC must notify the Air Force Communications Command or the U.S. Coast Guard for emergencies offshore.

During an SOS situation, an inReach user may be inclined to communicate with contacts at home or work, but your first focus should be a reply to GEOS that details your emergency. After that critical information is established, that is a better time to notify other contacts of your situation.

Stamps adds that the IERCC staff is trying to determine three "Ps" and a "D." This breaks down as follows:

Position. The IERCC receives this information from the device, but additional details are helpful. For example, are you airborne, on the ground, or on water? Furthermore, are you on the north or south shore of a river or the east or west side of a road? Problem. Briefly state the situation. Is it an accident you witnessed, your own injury, or an ill member of your party? People. It is critical to convey the number of and general information about the individuals involved. As you may imagine, the resources needed to rescue seven adults with serious injuries is quite different than one individual with a sprained ankle. Description. This last detail may already be clear, but GEOS will reply with questions if essential details have not yet been determined that would aid in a rescue. Examples might be: What is your itinerary? Are you in a stable or disabled craft? What is the color of your clothing or backpack? What is the name and make of your sailboat, aircraft, or vehicle? These details not only convey the severity of an emergency, they also help responders locate the user or group from a helicopter's view or in storm-swept areas. One piece of advice is to not hesitate to send short bursts of brief text. Rather than detail all the Ps and D listed above in one text message, a series of concise texts would be helpful.

"Need help." [Send] "Broken leg. Bleeding." [Send] "1 injured. Sally Smith. 28. Can't move." [Send] "3 in party. Hiking." [Send.] "Blue tarp on S shore Duck Lake." [Send.]

Communicating with the inReach User and Emergency Contacts

As noted above, when an SOS is initiated, the IERCC's protocol is to first try to contact the inReach user and to contact the appropriate search and rescue entity. If it has been determined that an emergency is happening—or if the user cannot be contacted—the IERCC will establish a point of contact with the user's emergency contacts.

Information in your inReach online profile, such as emergency contacts and emergency notes, is immediately available to the team at the IERCC via their system during an SOS. You can update this information via inReach.Garmin.com website and then selecting the Account tab. An example of general information to add to your emergency notes section may include information about your trip itinerary, allergies, medical conditions, or insurance providers. (Note: if you have purchased a GEOS member benefit, the IERCC will have this information in their system.)

The IERCC will also confirm to the inReach user and emergency contact that an emergency message has been received and that search and rescue services are responding. For example, a hiker in Great Smokey Mountain National Park might receive, "We have contacted Park Dispatch. They are working on getting someone out to your location."

During an SOS, if the IERCC receives a response from the user, IERCC staff will stay involved with the inReach user and will communicate all known information that they have received from the search and rescue organization. In addition, the IERCC will establish one emergency point-of-contact for communicating updates.

Stamps explains that it is GEOS policy for the IERCC to communicate directly with the search and rescue organization and relay messages to the inReach user and established point-of-contact, rather than looping in these contacts and various family members with the search and rescue organization directly. "This eliminates gaps in communication and maintains a clear process for delivering critical information."

The IERCC can also communicate with search and rescue about location and other details (e.g. landmarks or identifying features or assets provided by the inReach user and emergency contacts) that are essential to help responders get to the inReach user or group's location. These details might be gained from communication with the inReach user, emergency contact, or even from the inReach user's profile. It is also important to share with your emergency contact details about your trip and, possibly, essential information such as travel or personal insurance to help make important decisions.

It's best for family members or emergency contacts to limit chatter and messages sent to the inReach during an emergency. This will ensure that critical messages from the IERCC can be addressed by the inReach user in the field and that the device battery isn't expended on excessive messaging.

If an inReach device battery is running low, the IERCC will propose to the user a communication schedule. (Note that staff at the IERCC can see the battery level of the inReach device on their system.) During a long rescue situation, the IERCC may recommend that the user turn the device off and on at certain intervals to communicate. For example, if the user is injured at night and a rescue attempt can't be made until morning, or until bad weather breaks, or if a slower moving naval vessel or ground-based team requires a lengthy transit for a rescue, the IERCC might suggest turning the device back on in two hours for an update to preserve the user's battery.

Stamps encourages users to test their inReach device before use in the field. Users can do so by logging in to the inReach.Garmin.com website (Account>Test) and selecting to have the system send a test message to their inReach device. Important: Any SOS activation via the inReach device is considered real, so you should only trigger SOS on the inReach device in a real emergency.

Rest Assured that GEOS Can Provide Capable and Efficient Global Support

For many years, the team at the IERCC has responded to a diverse range of incidents around the world. The IERCC can respond in 210 languages and dialects. According to Stamps, "We haven't run into a user in a country that we haven't been able to communicate with."

The difference that an inReach provides during an emergency is not only its unique two-way messaging and GPS features but also the capabilities and 24/7 global SOS support offered by GEOS. Adding an inReach to your gear will give you the peace of mind that help is available when you head out for your next adventure.

Kevin Stamps is Director of Global Operations at the International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) at GEOS. Prior to joining GEOS, Stamps served in the U.S. Coast Guard where he was involved in numerous law enforcement and search and rescue operations. GEOS has provided global safety and response solutions since 2007.

Have an inReach story you'd like to share? We'd love to hear from you. Contact us at [email protected].

19-Aug-18
Sounds like they have a handle on it.....^^

19-Aug-18
Rep to cnelk!

20-Aug-18
I should also add the the Weather feature on the InReach by far the most correct I have seen.

It will give you a 72 hr forecast for your location. Ive used it in Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska with great success

23-Aug-18
I looked at one today and have a few questions for you guys. If I'm using an Android is there an app that I can use that will still work with the unit? Also, can I send pictures with a text or is it just text.?

23-Aug-18
I believe the Earthmate app is supported by both phone platforms.

No pics. Just txt abilities

23-Aug-18
It is but they have iPad iPod iPhone written all over the box that I saw today. Thanks for the answers.

24-Aug-18
I like the look of the in reach mini.

24-Aug-18
Thanks for that info cnelk!

24-Aug-18
Sorry thought this was about Bacon...Ill go now

24-Aug-18
cnelk, what model do you have? How much is the weather subscription? I know my family is really wanting me to get one of these this year.

24-Aug-18
I use the Garman Inreach and upgrade to the $60 per month option during hunting season. It gives you unlimited texts, weather, preloaded maps and two way communication. Inreach uses Iridium satellite connection which has global connectivity. It is the best option for a satellite communicator and SOS beacon.

24-Aug-18
Brostky

I have the DeLorme SE. I bought it over 2 years ago. Not long after I purchased it, the Weather option was an upgrade and was automatically downloaded when I did an update to my unit.

I do the same as lv2bohunt. I change my subscription for 2-3 months during the fall that has unlimited txts - its about $60/mo

The other months of the year, I keep it on the basic plan - $15/mo. It is limited to 10 texts/ mo and unlimited 'pre-set messages'. I have never suspended my plan. I keep the unit with me when I go ice fishing, snowmobiling, camping, etc...

24-Aug-18
Anybody know how this function on my iPhone works? Just got a new iPhone and found it. Do u need service for it to work?

24-Aug-18

stick n string's embedded Photo
stick n string's embedded Photo

24-Aug-18
Thanks cnelk!

24-Aug-18
Stick- it says “CALL” so I imagine you would have to have a signal.

24-Aug-18
CNElk x 2. Bought my InReach SE (yellow one) 13 months ago and really like it for my remote trips. I kick into the unlimited plan anytime I am heading remote, then reduce to basic when I get back into cell range. I can change plans 12 times per year...you pay by the amount of days on the unlimited texts plan versus basic. My wife always has questions...."how do you fix a flat tire on the front of the tractor"? was the latest. Nice to text with her when you've been gone a while!

I'd get a mini if buying an IR today. 50 hr battery life would do me for a 10-day hunt without recharging...but I take a charge pack anyway for the iPhone which is the big user of power. I do shut off the IR between message checks, day or night, and never use tracks. Garmin has been very straight forward to work with on the unit, plan changes, etc. Kevin, good luck with it and on your moose hunt!

24-Aug-18
MMMMmmmmm......... Bacon......

25-Aug-18
I bought the inreach explorer this spring for a motorcycle trip I was planning. I rode over 10,000 miles to Alaska and back. My wife was able to follow my entire trip on the map share tracking site. When I was in areas with no cell service I could text her that I was ok. She loved it. The text feature is a little tedious when you don’t use it with the cell phone but when you send a text it shows on the map where you are when you sent it which is kind of cool. I’ll be using it for elk hunting and even whitetail hunting here at home. Some of places I hunt here I don’t have cell service and out west elk hunting most of the time there’s no service. I have the freedom plan which costs 38.00 a month and I get something like 40 text a month and unlimited tracking.

26-Aug-18
I bought the Inreach Mini. It really is “mini”. So far so good in practice. I have my phone for maps and digiscoping anyway, so it is a nice pairing. I carry a compass and sometimes a Garmin gps with topo of the area, so I don’t need another gps. I used a Spot for years, but the cost to service ratio just got way unbalanced.

Get to try it out for real in remote northern BC, starting Tuesday.

27-Aug-18
Question For those that use the garman in reach “freedom plan”. If i only want to use it for one month how much notice do i have to give to cancel the plan once i sign up?

27-Aug-18
Turk

You can cancel anytime but will be charged the remainder of the month

27-Aug-18
Some info about the 'Mini'

I believe this unit only 'listens' for messages every 20 mins and that option cant be changed like the SE models. There are times I want to communicate a bit faster than that.

27-Aug-18
You can que up the IR SE to listen anytime you get into the "Check Messages" screen and push "Check Now". Don't know about the mini but Ambush could tell us.

My Garmin plan only charges by how many DAYS I use each plan, not in monthly cycles. Each time I change plans, the new date is my base for the billing. (It was a plan from 13 months ago, and in Canada, so not sure if all plans work this way today?)

Plan changes are basically instantaneous from when we changed them via our online account with Garmin. (When I switch from basic to unlimited I always check the IR to ensure that it is working, and look at the IR to ensure the plan was activated...and it always is.)

27-Aug-18
I've had both Spot and Inreach, the Spot is cheaper to buy but the service fee is higher than the Inreach, if you turn the Inreach service off during the months you don't use it. The two way communication with SAR would be worth it if you ever need it! And as a sidebar, for less than a hundred dollars a year you can get Life Flight insurance to help defray most of the cost if you need life flighted. I think we got it for $62 and that covers everybody in our household!

27-Aug-18
Same for the Mini. You can set the Check times or in the menu, use Check Now. For my plan, it's thirty day cycles. Meaning if I upgrade, I cannot down grade for thirty days. I upgraded to Unlimited a week ago and now I can't go back to basic for another three weeks. I'm not sure that I can't suspend the plan during this cycle though. When you upgrade, any days remaining on your current plan are credited to the new one.

27-Aug-18
Cnelk, that is an excellent post on how the SOS works. Thanks for the info.

27-Aug-18
Which Bacon? And why? Pork, extra thick and crispy. Because it’s good for you.

27-Aug-18
Thanks for the replies. I will probably only use mine ( in reach mini ) one or two months a year. I will get the freedom plan since it doesn't lock me into a year long plan.

Great information.

• Sitka Gear