Paul@thefort 21-Aug-18
Marty 21-Aug-18
Rut Nut 21-Aug-18
Paul@thefort 23-Aug-18
jordanathome 23-Aug-18
grubby 23-Aug-18
19-Aug-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
tent blind set up next to this tank, looking west.
tent blind set up next to this tank, looking west.
i had seen this 12 inch buck the day before and here he comes down the two track I rode my bike in from 1/2 mile from the truck, the next day. 2 pm
i had seen this 12 inch buck the day before and here he comes down the two track I rode my bike in from 1/2 mile from the truck, the next day. 2 pm

19-Aug-18

later he gets up and feeds and comes closer, sort of staking out the place.
later he gets up and feeds and comes closer, sort of staking out the place.
and then again, beds off the road.
and then again, beds off the road.
later I see him stand up and look in my direction.
later I see him stand up and look in my direction.
the 14 inch buck came within 300 yards and bedded down in the middle of the road.

19-Aug-18

in the opposite direction, I see this small buck coming in from 60 yards but then stops when he sees the larger buck
in the opposite direction, I see this small buck coming in from 60 yards but then stops when he sees the larger buck
bigger buck heading my way and forces the smaller buck to retreat.
bigger buck heading my way and forces the smaller buck to retreat.
just before he comes under the fence 40 yards away
just before he comes under the fence 40 yards away
under the fence and heading for the over flow pond 20 yards away. Wind is perfect. He has no idea I am around.
under the fence and heading for the over flow pond 20 yards away. Wind is perfect. He has no idea I am around.

19-Aug-18
And Hand Grenades!! Nice so far! Shawn

19-Aug-18
Cool looking buck.

19-Aug-18
I place an arrow on the string and WB arrow rest. The buck stops at 32 yards and starts to drink facing me. He walk closer still facing. I am waiting for the broadside shot. Now at 30 yards and broadside I draw back and first hear a small click, and then the arrow is pulled off the string. WHAT! Not knowing what just happened and trying to concentrate of the buck, I replace the arrow and draw back again. Again, a small clicking sound and the arrow again is pulled off the string and is hanging in the WB rest. WHAT again. The buck in moving but still broadside. I try again to draw and this time every things seems normal. I quickly settle the single pin on the buck and launch an arrow. WHAT, shot low!!!!!!!!!!!!! The buck trots away now knowing that just happened.

What the Hell just happened? After beating myself up for the next ten minutes I looked down at the bow, rest and arrow. Here is was I figured. If you are aware of the WB rest, there are black bristles at the bottom of the WB that hold arrow shaft up and then the rest of the bristles of lesser strength, allow the fetching to pass through. I have used the WB for year and changed the brisket out earlier this year. But as I drew back the arrow, the shaft sort of slid off the black bristles in to the less supportave brown bristles allowing the shaft to shift and thus shorting the length. When I drew back and BH contacted the riser shelf, ( the click sound) stopping the travel of the arrow backward, and then the nock comes off the string as I am trying to complete the draw.. This was the first time this had ever happened.

SO today, I stopped off at Gannet Ridge archery shop and had my drop away put on as well as re-sighted in the bow to be accurate with my VAP BHS.

OK, now I am ready for my next encounter tomorrow. A lesson learned. You bet.

19-Aug-18

so the next morning I see the same buck 500 yards away where he stayed most of the day.
so the next morning I see the same buck 500 yards away where he stayed most of the day.
maybe tomorrow he will come back to drink and be in bow range again. I am ready this time.
maybe tomorrow he will come back to drink and be in bow range again. I am ready this time.

19-Aug-18
I’ll take an equipment error antelope hunting over elk any day!

Here’s mine....I belly crawled up to a buck. Full army crawl. About 100 yards. My hand held carter was in my pocket. Apparently some sandy soil got into my pocket and into the release. The jaw wouldn’t close! Lesson learned...

19-Aug-18
Dammit Paul ! Oh well, that's a hard lesson but it won't be a mistake made again. Tomorrow is another day !

Ucs, that happened to me also. I still don't know what got into my release but when I tried to shoot at a doe, it just wouldn't trigger. She was broadside and when she started moving I panicked and forced the trigger sending the arrow straight to her ass. I saw it hit her high on the hip as plain as day. She ran off about forty yards and stopped, and I was able to look at her through binos and at least tell it wasn't mortal. Crap happens !

19-Aug-18
Good stuff as always bud, but I don't think that's the same buck in the last set of pics?

Stick him and we'll know for sure ;?)

19-Aug-18
Keep at it Paul you'll get it done.

19-Aug-18
You'll get him. Stay persistent and determined. I believe his days are numbered !!

19-Aug-18
Glad you got the rest issue fixed Paul. That woulda sucked to have it happen next weekend when I call in an elk to you! :)

19-Aug-18
God made antelope to sort this sort of thing out prior to elk season.

19-Aug-18
SitO x 3

19-Aug-18
Site is right,first Buck had narrow irregular horns,second more mass,bigger prongs and more typical.Good luck on your Elk hunt.

19-Aug-18
Close, oh so close...That’s why we do it! ;-)

20-Aug-18
That doesn't look at all like the same buck. The second one is larger.

20-Aug-18
Glad you are having a fun hunt Paul.

Keep the Faith

Good luck, Robb

20-Aug-18
Dang Paul, that’s some bad Luck! My dad uses that phrase all the time. Good luck. I’ve got four days to make it through and then I’m off chasing for 12 days if needed.

20-Aug-18
That sounds really weird. I've never heard of that happening with a WB and would have a hard time believing it. Do you use a D-loop? If you DON'T use a d-loop one thing I have seen happen is when the release is on the string under your nock if you lift your hand too high the release can pop the arrow off the string. The upwards angle of the metal forces the nock off the string. Sounds like the kind of situation you had. Not saying it was, but it seems very unlikely to get through an entire draw cycle with the arrow then suddenly being pulled off the string at full draw. It takes a ton of effort to jam an arrow into those bristles, even the "weaker" ones that aren't that weak. I shot the same brushes once for about 8 years, and they still never would have allowed an arrow to drop down into there.

I hope everything works out for you next time, but I honestly don't know if the problem is fixed. I'd try and emulate that same draw cycle and stance you had with the new rest and see if it happens again. Just one man's opinion.

Glad you saw some good bucks and good luck getting after them Paul!

20-Aug-18
Good to see you yesterday and hear the story in person. I hope you and Brad are taking elk trophy photos this weekend and you still have lope blood under your fingernails ;). I'm guessing he'll come into range around 10 this morning. Good luck!

20-Aug-18
Dag nab it, Paul! Probably kill a monster this week....good luck!

20-Aug-18
Good luck Paul!

20-Aug-18
Ouch the box of chocolates ?? phrase rings a bell ?? good luck and good hunting Lewis

20-Aug-18
I have a love hate relationship with whisker biscuits........Hate them for archery.

20-Aug-18
you got this Paul!!!

Mark

20-Aug-18
Good luck, Paul!

Just think, no mechanical issues with the recurve! ;-)

20-Aug-18
Paul was it the style rest that the bristles form an upside down V? I used to use that one and the arrow sometimes fell in between. Seems some of the old school equipment were more fail safe like the hunter supreme rest along with a shooting glove.

20-Aug-18
Paul, now if you brought your recurve, you wouldn't have had that equipment failure...but, I have faith in you, I know I will be seeing your grinning face next to a speedgoat any day now...best of luck

20-Aug-18
Good luck Paul!!

20-Aug-18
Lolololololol Jordan.....;^)

20-Aug-18
Paul after looking at your photos, I am in agreement with several others- the last 3 photos together is I believe a different buck (buck #2) than the first set of photos (buck #1). #2 is a much stronger scoring buck. That is the one I would be after.

Are you hunting CO or driving over the line to WY?

20-Aug-18
The last 3 photos is the one you want....that is a neat goat. I would pass on the others.

21-Aug-18
So here is the rest of the story. On second look, they are two different bucks.

Here is what happened today. I get up at 3 am, drive east one hour to my hunting spot. Drive up to the water tank and unload, blind, bow, chair, etc. and then drive back 1/2 mile to park. I then bike back to the tank and set up before first light. Sunrise is 6:10 am, I am in the blind and waiting by 5:15 am. It is going to be a long day.

No action until 11 am when a does and two fawns come in to drink. This morning temp was 43 degrees and a high of 75.. A huge difference from last week when it was 65 degrees in the AM and up to 95 degrees in the PM.

For the next 5 hours I see a few bucks and does across the pasture 1/4 mile away, but none come my way. I read, I listen to my head set radio, I eat snacks, I take a few cat naps. I now know what it feels like to be in a jail cell.

An hour to go and the three bucks across the pasture head away. I start to pack up gathering up stuff inside the blind. I look out the back window and I see two does crossing the 2 track I came in on. And right behind them was Mr. Buck, the buck I had the encounter with when by WB rest malfunctioned. The two does circled around in the adjacent pasture, stood staring in my direction for 5 minutes before coming under the fence. and headed my way. Heading right for the water 20 yards away. The buck stayed in the adjacent pasture until the does were almost to me and then he came along but lagged behind 80 yards. The does were right in front of me at 20 yards, one drinking and the other looking right at the blind. The buck is closing in, 50 yards, 40 yards, 35 yards. He stops to feed but now facing me. The does are finishing drinking and are turning to leave. They never stay long. The does are now 45 yards and heading out. The buck looks up, sees the does leaving and follows, never stopping. No shot opportunity. He lives another day.

Another game of Horseshoes and yes, also Hand Grenades!

I have to paint the house on Wed, and then get ready for elk season on Thursday. Heading to elk camp on Friday morning for Colorado's opener on Saturday.

I am ready. Good luck to all this season. my best, Paul

21-Aug-18
That's pronghorn hunting in a blind, Paul! They can come so close, only to ... just leave. I liked your "like a prisoner" line -- that's very much the feeling.

21-Aug-18
Thanks for the report Paul and best of luck with the Elk hunt.

21-Aug-18

APaul, I do use a string loop. This was the very first time using a WB that I had an issue with the arrow shaft falling off to the side of the black bristles. I had replaced the brisket earlier this year but it might have been on from years ago and for some reason, not as supportive. I may have overly canted the bow when drawing causing the arrow shaft to drag off of the black supportive bristles. (I have never done this before). What caused the arrow nock to come off of the string was that the back of the BH contacted the edge of the riser, stopping the draw process and when I hit full draw, the arrow did not come back, thus the nocked arrow pulled off the string. Not something one needs to happen.

When I hunted the Flat Top Wilderness a few year ago and planned on spending 10 plus day without returning to the truck, I had visions of the drop a way rest malfunctioning so the WB was put on. Never had a issue over the many years using the WB. But it only takes on time. Will see how the drop a way works. This year my arrows weigh is 492 grs, and that is 42 more that in the past. This increase in weight MIGHT have made a difference. Not sure.

Spike, the style WB that JTV is showing

21-Aug-18
Good stuff. I was thinking the antelope was fixin’ on dying. But, it’s called hunting for a reason. Good luck hunting this year. God Bless

21-Aug-18
So close. Good luck elk hunting.

21-Aug-18
Thanks for telling the story. Sorry to read about your WB problems. I never used one and probably won't. Heard a few negative things about them.

21-Aug-18
Last year I had the target buck I was after walk slowly into the water hole I decided to let him pass and then shoot as he walked out, well something must have spooked him because he left like he was on fire and no shot. I had a wb that came with my pse I could never get the arrow to fly right with it. I went to a qad drop away and am much happier with the results.

21-Aug-18
The kind of biscuit in your hand is the only one I use! Looks good. Have a fun hunt in the Flat Tops.

21-Aug-18
Nice adventure...thanks for posting, your hunts are always entertaining! Good luck on the elk!

21-Aug-18

a few trail camera pics from the recent hunt
a few trail camera pics from the recent hunt
after dark drinker. Bar is still open!
after dark drinker. Bar is still open!

21-Aug-18

and a few normal camera pics
and a few normal camera pics
500 yards away.
500 yards away.

21-Aug-18
Good luck this weekend, Paul! Looking forward to the hunt reports.

21-Aug-18
Good luck ?? on your elk hunt Paul stick a big one Lewis

21-Aug-18
Paul, your theory about the arrow falling in the softer bristles might be correct but I had the same thing happen to me about 6 years ago but I came away with a different conclusion that had nothing to do with my whisker biscuit.

I had a nice buck come in straight behind the stand I was in. I twisted out and around the tree to draw back but by being out of position it was not easy to draw. I ended up with a death hold on the grip and torqued the bow so much that the brodhead came back and hit the riser and the arrow came off.

Try it sometime. You might be amazed how easy it is to torque the bow bad enough to make this happen. Ken

21-Aug-18

21-Aug-18
Dang, Paul!

You were so close! Don't give up on them so easy!

I think I would pass on elk hunting the opening weekend for elk to get a whack at one of those better antelope! Opening weekend for archery elk in CO is way overrated anyways. You got 'em surrounded! Pretty sure you have a couple that would make P&Y there. Not sure that you could hunt every day of the season for elk in Colorado OTC and turn up a P&Y bull. Bet you would only need one more sit to seal the deal...

Would love to see you tag a big one with that recurve ;-)

21-Aug-18
Treeline, I might go back for a few days during ML elk season as Tricia will be out of state and I have to house/dog set. I have a PY on the wall so looking for some good table fare. Paul

21-Aug-18
Wow Paul, a couple nice goats there! Thanks for sharing and good luck the rest of the way, whatever you decide to hunt! Kevin

21-Aug-18
Paul- if it was easy, they would call it “shooting!” ;-)

Good luck with the elk and have fun!

23-Aug-18
Well guys, with all of the "good luck elk hunting" how can one go wrong. Thanks for the encouragement and support. Yes, I will have fun for sure. I just resharpened all of my 125 gr VAP BHs and hope to send on through a nice elk.

Finished painting the house yesterday so I have a green light from Tricia. I love when she states, " no elk in the freezer so do not come more until you get one". Now that is an understanding wife.

I will be taking a lot of pictures so I hope there will be a good story coming soon.

my best, Paul

23-Aug-18
Go get em!!!!!

23-Aug-18
I will be patiently waiting on the elk recap.

• Sitka Gear