Lark Bunting 27-Aug-18
GregE 30-Aug-18
jordanathome 30-Aug-18
Wv hillbilly 30-Aug-18
Lark Bunting 02-Sep-18
stick n string 02-Sep-18
WV Mountaineer 02-Sep-18
20-Aug-18
It's been a very busy summer and my participation here hasn't been as often as last year. New career that has me on the road has occupied most of my time and I drive a LOT during the week now so I can't be reading forums while driving 80 up and down I-25! It has allowed me a LOT of networking as the southern part of Colorado is filled with a lot of hunters and fisherman, and my company is all about promoting a good time at the expense of the company corporate Amex, which has led to some guided fly fishing trips planned, a "guided" pheasant hunt planned, and a possible out of state white tail doe hunt on some private property. I must admit, I am feeling blessed. I thought I'd try a thread to see how my/our hunting season goes, hope to be able to update this with some photos and stories as the season progresses through the next few months.

It's approaching quickly! I am taking my son on his OTC elk hunt this Friday, leaving Castle Rock around noon. Going to have a few hour drive if there isn't much traffic. We are bringing both our truck camping gear as well as backpacking gear. This spot doesn't have much dispersed camping off the main roads and there aren't any side roads, which makes it a likely spot to see some elk. I am prepared to hike in a mile or so to find a flat spot big enough to set up our two man tent and hopefully be closer to water. 1/2 mile in we'd split the distance to a creek and our truck for water. We'll see.

I am anxious to see this place again as it's been a few years. Geography is a big spine ridge at 9600' and a bunch of finger ridges down to a creek. The area is about 4 miles by 3 miles and any sign of old double tracks have 6' trees growing all along them, which will keep out ATV's. Numerous aspen patches are inside some beetle kill forest, as well as some open clearings. You can't see past 100 yards in most spots and less than 10 in many. The deadfall is horrendous but I am taking that into consideration that most hunters will avoid this spot.

Since last year's endeavor of packing out an elk I have sworn to a year of working out. I missed a day here and there but worked out every week consistently. On top of my normal lifting and running I incorporated yoga into my weekly routine as well as nightly stretching. Sounds ridiculous but it has all helped tremendously.

The thing I am looking forward to most with this hunt is it'll be the first time since my son and I began hunting five years ago that we won't be hunting together. He is OTC this year and I drew my tag. That means I get to photograph and video his hunt and be the caller this weekend. He gets to do the same for me next week.

Heading home soon to get everything moved from my basement to the garage so we can make sure we have everything necessary for the weekend trip.

Here's to another adventurous season. *cheers* I hope everyone has a safe and fun season!

20-Aug-18
Good luck to you guys Lark! Hopefully you have a season full of memories and the sore backs that go along with them. Enjoy the time with your son!

20-Aug-18
Thanks Brotsky! He is 16 now and boy oh boy do we butt heads at times. I am hoping we can do a couple weekend hunts for him if this weekend isn't successful as the time in the woods away from technology is definitely in order!

Is your daughter hunting again this year?

20-Aug-18
Best of luck!!!!

20-Aug-18
Yes she is! Only deer on the menu for her this fall though. Hopefully we can get her that first buck!

20-Aug-18
Good luck !

20-Aug-18
Good luck buddy.

20-Aug-18
Good luck Tom, you & your Son will have a blast, may the Slow Play be with you!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Aug-18
Sounds like a blast! I'm in for the ride. Good luck and make some memories!

21-Aug-18
Best of luck to you guys. Have a great hunt.

21-Aug-18
The Boy woke up to a 102 fever and feels like hell. This should be interesting!

21-Aug-18
The Rockies, and the sound of elk bugles cures everything...let him recuperate to hunting videos, he'll be good to go by Friday!

21-Aug-18
Good luck.

27-Aug-18

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Nice to see clear skies. The fires have been bad this year.
Nice to see clear skies. The fires have been bad this year.
A plane few over pretty low and I happen to look up and saw this view.
A plane few over pretty low and I happen to look up and saw this view.
Well, opening weekend was interesting. We found a great spot to set camp, high up on a ridge. We scouted Friday evening and didn't see anything fresh. We didn't even find any sign from this year! Kind of lame.

Opening morning The Boy slept in a bit, 6:45, but this was his hunt and I wasn't there to tell him what to do. I had coffee ready and we ate pop-tarts and cranberries.

We grabbed our packs and hit the mountain. We covered close to 5 miles on Saturday and hit everything from 9800' down to the creek bottom at 8500'. We were exhausted!

His chest cold had him in a bad place Saturday evening and I had woke up feeling pretty blah myself. *mancold* I feel like garbage today.

He asked if it would be okay to hit the road as he wasn't feeling well. We packed up and drove to Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs and enjoyed pizza.

We had a good day but it was disappointing to not see anything even close indicating elk have been in the area this summer or fall...hell maybe not even in all of 2018.

Few things to note, I never packed my base layers, my sleeping pad leaked (truck camping pad, not the backpacking pad), he forgot gloves, and needed an extra payer as he ended up wearing my Kuiu jacket. I lost my long handled spoon and for the life of me can't figure out where it could be!

We leave for my draw unit on Thursday. Looks like we'll be parking a long ways from the trail head as there have been flash flood warnings and the Forest Service folks confirmed my suspicions...do NOT go back there is it has rained or could rain. Sucks but we'll make due with the extra miles on foot.

Here are a few photos from opening weekend. I spent more time with a small video camera than my phone and haven't had time to do any editing. Will get those loaded eventually. He's psyched to be videographer for the week while I hunt.

30-Aug-18
Appreciate the photos, hunt story and Dad efforts.

Keep positive and enjoy the journey!!

G

30-Aug-18
Good Stuff! Keep it coming! Beau Jo's is mmmm mmmm good pizza!

30-Aug-18
Thanks for taking the time to share. Can’t wait to see how this pans out. Good luck.

02-Sep-18

More stories to come...

02-Sep-18
Been waitin...;^)

02-Sep-18
Hanging on a thread....... :^)

• Sitka Gear