IdyllwildArcher 26-Aug-18
Matt Palmquist 26-Aug-18
COLT45 27-Aug-18
20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Copenhagen added 4 hours to the first flight
Shug's embedded Photo
Copenhagen added 4 hours to the first flight
Beyond posting a few photos (which I did already) I hadn’t planned on doing a write up about this hunt. It was such an amazing adventure I felt compelled to share it with all of you.

I had originally booked a Greenland Musk Ox Hunt with Frank Feldman. Frank had to cancel so I ended up going with Karsten Lings. Franks reputation is tops so I was a little disappointed. I later found out Karsten is the same guy Ed Fanchin and his crew hunted with earlier this spring. They had a great hunt so I became optimistic about this trip.

I flew out of Newark NJ to Copenhagen and spent a night there and flew back to Greenland the next morning... definitely added too many hours to the trip but in hindsight it was a good thing.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
If anyone spends the night in Copenhagen eat at The pizza Port ...best pizza ever.. Tell them Tim Metcalf sent you and they will cut you a break...

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I assume the Danes are very patriotic... the flags all flew when I got to the hotel... were taken down at dusk and back up in the morning.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Kangerlussuaq
Shug's embedded Photo
Kangerlussuaq
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I knew I was in the right place when I saw this..
Shug's embedded Photo
I knew I was in the right place when I saw this..
When hunting with Karsten you fly into Kangerlussuaq Greenland a small town of 500 people.. there is also a US Army base located there...

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
The toilet
Shug's embedded Photo
The toilet
Shug's embedded Photo
Tents were fitted with beds and heaters.. amazingly comfortable
Shug's embedded Photo
Tents were fitted with beds and heaters.. amazingly comfortable
A 35 minute boat ride and we were at camp... it’s my understanding Karsten has 4 or 5 areas he hunts.... Camp was a beautiful set up right on the river we hunted along

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Ice Cap
Shug's embedded Photo
Ice Cap
Shug's embedded Photo
I should have worn a coat
Shug's embedded Photo
I should have worn a coat
Shug's embedded Photo
A U.S . Plane crash... pretty sure it was Obama’s fault
Shug's embedded Photo
A U.S . Plane crash... pretty sure it was Obama’s fault
Let me jump back a little. Before heading out to camp we took a ride up to the polar ice cap...I have to admit I originally didn’t want to go but I’m very glad I went...

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
The landscape reminded me of Kodiak island minus the devils club
Shug's embedded Photo
The landscape reminded me of Kodiak island minus the devils club
Shug's embedded Photo
Sunsets were almost as nice as Monmouth County New Jersey
Shug's embedded Photo
Sunsets were almost as nice as Monmouth County New Jersey
The ride up to camp from town went quickly with the amazing scenery ... we spotted lots of musk ox and caribou on the ride.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
One of the guides glassing for Musk Ox...
Shug's embedded Photo
One of the guides glassing for Musk Ox...
The people here move at a different pace ... I’m sure we all want to hit the ground running and start hunting ASAP... they are in no rush .... If you hunt with them be ready to slow down and enjoy every aspect of the hunt.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
They were a fun loving group of people Karstens daughter Vi Vi enjoyed taking odd photos of the sausage link on the back of my head ... when I called her out on it she just laughed...

20-Aug-18
What an adventure! Keep it coming, good stuff.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
The only way to keep her from taking bad photos of me was by keeping her next to me
Shug's embedded Photo
The only way to keep her from taking bad photos of me was by keeping her next to me
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Karsten- ViVi-Lucas and Tuuma..
Shug's embedded Photo
Karsten- ViVi-Lucas and Tuuma..
We actually went past several nice Pope and Young musk ox looking for something bigger...

We spotted a dandy bull working a group of cows with another one just as big up on a hillside a quarter mile away.

We stayed with the closest one shadowing them using terrain to stay hidden.

If you know me you know I’m physically a mess so each time they went out of view we would try to work closer.

Two times we worked to where the group fed over a hill only to get there and find them too far away to shoot.

On the third attempt we were within 40 yards. The bulls head was hidden in high grass so I knocked an arrow and waited for the right angle...When he turned quatering away I shot hitting him perfect... the herd ran over the hill out of sight. When we topped the hill 30 yards away I was amazed to see the bull on his back ..legs kicking in the air... he only made it 35 yards before tipping over.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
The tip of the Broadhead just poked through the far leg

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
A couple hundred pounds of musk ox
Shug's embedded Photo
A couple hundred pounds of musk ox
Shug's embedded Photo
Tough people!!
Shug's embedded Photo
Tough people!!
After photos they broke the bull down quickly. It was amazing to watch them pack out the bull... they actually carried it out with a sling over their heads...

20-Aug-18
Congrats! What were you able to bring back? Shoulder mount, life-size, euro?

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
She thought she was funny.. I got the last laugh when I tipped everyone else
Shug's embedded Photo
She thought she was funny.. I got the last laugh when I tipped everyone else
I thought I was safe from her insulting photos because she was packing out my musk ox... No such luck... she went as far as taking a selfie with me limping 50 yards behind trying to keep up...

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Gotta love a girl not afraid to get her hands dirty..
Shug's embedded Photo
Gotta love a girl not afraid to get her hands dirty..
I started walking back to the boat 15 minutes before them only to have them all pass me and wait ten minutes for me to get there... Did I mention... tough friggn people?

20-Aug-18
Awesome! Congrats on a beauty!

20-Aug-18
Great hunt Shug. Very nice trophy. Thanks for sharing.

20-Aug-18
Slow down guys... it ain’t over yet..lol

20-Aug-18
When we got back to camp I was spent I had walked further than I had in years... and it was even that far... I looked around and everyone was gone except for Karsten... I asked him if they all went to sleep.... he said no they went to look for camp meat and pointed to them on the mountain behind camp... Tough people!!

20-Aug-18
Great story telling, pics and bull Shug!

Keep it rolling!!!

Mark

20-Aug-18
I slept better that night than I had in years...

The next morning we jumped into the boat after breakfast looking for a Caribou we seen lots but nothing big enough to go after. To be honest I was a little happy because I don’t think I could have gone after it....lol

We then headed down river past camp to look down that way. Again we seen some smaller caribou.

Then we spotted a group of 7 musk ox with another big old bull. It was close enough that I felt I could get to it without dying.

Long story short... we worked within 17 yards of him. I waited for a quartering shot again and hit him in what I thought was a good spot... entering at the liver lung area. The bull walked a ways and Karsten laid down prone position with the rifle... I told him the hit was good don’t shoot!! Then the rifle went off and a small cow hit the ground and then another... more camp meat...lol The rifle actually had a silencer on it so it never spooked the rest of the herd.

When the gun shots ended I quickly ranged my bull at 80 yards and figured what the heck...As he walked away I shot him in the left testicle... I was aiming for the right one though

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Karsten with my second bull
Shug's embedded Photo
Karsten with my second bull
The bull walked 30 yards further and laid down so I slipped up to 20 yards and double lunged him it was over a few seconds later..

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
The second bull had a little shorter horns than the first but the bosses were a little bigger...

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
The shirts MOJO was strong this trip
Shug's embedded Photo
The shirts MOJO was strong this trip
Karsten said both bulls were 13/14 years old I roughly taped out the first one at 109” again the second one looked just a little smaller I wish I had measured that one also... but I think there’s a good chance they are both Booners... again my lucky shirt comes through for me

20-Aug-18
Great stuff Mark. What an adventure...Congrats.

20-Aug-18
INbowdude... I’m having a shoulder mount on the first one and a European on the second one. I also kept the hide on the second one for a throw rug... The picture doesn’t do the colors justice the hide was flawless and the colors amazing

20-Aug-18
I didn’t appreciate the size until we put them in the freezer back at town and sat them next to some of the other p and y class bulls in the there...anyone wanna rent my good luck shirt?

20-Aug-18
Good story Shug. Sounds like a wonderful hunt ! I have a friend who has two full body mounts, I was amazed that they're so short but long bodied. Pictures don't do them justice.

20-Aug-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
4 hours 15 minutes east only to fly 8 1/2 hours back west ..but the flight felt quicker going home. In hindsight I’m kinda glad Frank had to cancel....

21-Aug-18
Shug, good job. Two booners. Wow. Thanks for sharing your adventure

21-Aug-18
great story and hunt thanks for posting.

21-Aug-18
Awesome!! Congrats!!!

21-Aug-18
Great trip! Thanks for sharing.

21-Aug-18
Awesome!!

21-Aug-18
Thanks for writing it up! Congrats!

21-Aug-18
Congratulations... super trip.

21-Aug-18
WOW! Super cool! Congrats on the great animals and thanks for sharing such a cool trip with us.

21-Aug-18
Thanks guys!!

21-Aug-18
Great write up and congratulations!

21-Aug-18
Great story and awesome pictures! That sounds and looks like a great time! Congrats, Kevin

21-Aug-18
GREAT Adventure Shug! Congrats!

22-Aug-18
Shug, this brings back a lot of good memories from April with Ed! It's neat to see the landscape without being completely covered in snow and ice. We had all the same guides, who were all Outstanding! I recommend this hunt to everyone, quite the adventure!!

22-Aug-18
Atta baby Shug, congrats...

22-Aug-18
Congratulations! Tremendous hunt!

22-Aug-18
Congrats looks like a great adventure

22-Aug-18
Great story, thanks for sharing, I like your sense of humor too.

22-Aug-18
Way to go Mark, congrats on a great trip and two fine trophies!

22-Aug-18
Good stuff! Pretty sure reading these threads is as close as I'll come to this hunt. Thanks for posting and congrats

22-Aug-18
Congrats!

22-Aug-18
Absolutely amazing trip.

22-Aug-18
Absolutely amazing trip.

22-Aug-18
Such an amazing adventure Shug! Thanks for sharing it with us. Congratulations on the bulls of two lifetimes! Awesome!

22-Aug-18
Looks like a great hunt. Two very nice animals!

22-Aug-18
Thanks for the great story! It looks like you were the only hunter? I have been trying to find a hunt that allows a solo hunter instead of having several guys in camp at once . Thanks in advance for any info!

22-Aug-18
Great hunt, thanks for sharing. How do they approach getting the head and hide back? Curious to see if it is the same protocol and similiar $ as Frank.

22-Aug-18
Elite... I was but only because two guys had to cancel at the last minute...

Droptine.. I assume it’s the same as Frank mine will be sent to Denmark hides tanned and skulls cleaned then shipped home so it will be a while until I see them I guess

22-Aug-18
Shug, congrats.

One question, can you explain what you meant by your statement, in reference to flying through Denmark: "definitely added too many hours to the trip but in hindsight it was a good thing."

22-Aug-18
Sticksender... Flying into Iceland would have delayed my flight due to bad weather....

It’s also my understanding that Iceland doesn’t have the same number of daily flights into Kangerlussuaq Greenland

22-Aug-18
Very cool Shug - thanks for sharing. You seem to have a lot of fun when hunting which is awesome. Way to enjoy yourself oh ya and arrow a couple booners at the same time!

24-Aug-18
Mark!

What a season you are having! Do you recommend the testicle as the "go to" shot on a Musk Ox? if so, is the left or right most effective or is side irrelevant....lol

Seriously, amazing hunt, great story! That girl seems to enjoy her job!

May I ask what the story is behind the cancellation by Feldmans outfit? How much notice did he give you? If you don't want to share that info here, a PM would be appreciated. Im very interested in booking this hunt! Feldman cancelling has me a bit concerned, as that is who I intended to book with! Did you pay a premium to set it up last minute with Karsten?

Thanks for whatever info you can share and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

24-Aug-18
Great hunt report! Enjoy the ride!

25-Aug-18
Steve I’ll give ya a call tomorrow

25-Aug-18
Great write-up Shug...that was a hoot!

Congrats on a couple of fine trophy bulls!

25-Aug-18
Wow....just wow. Thanks for taking us along. Greenland looks amazing!

26-Aug-18
A great hunt for a great guy! Thanks for sharing this with us Shug, well done sir!

26-Aug-18
Great stuff, Grats!

26-Aug-18
Awesome Mark!! Congrats!!

27-Aug-18
Very cool hunt! I’m gonna have to get that outfitter info from you. On my bucket list!

• Sitka Gear