loesshillsarcher 22-Aug-18
Ken 22-Aug-18
mulecreek 22-Aug-18
bowonly 22-Aug-18
21-Aug-18

Garrett Bros @ Cons's embedded Photo

Garrett Bros @ Cons's Link
Gentlemen I have just arrived home from the NWT with successful Dall Sheep hunters and the outfitter has one spot available in September for Moose/Mountain Caribou and is asking 23500$ for the hunt, this is a game rich area and very Archery Friendly for moose caribou. Logistics will be the use of a helicopter to access the area they decide for you to hunt and tents will be utilised , You will need to fly to Norman Wells NWT and from there you will board the charter plane into the area, there is a 1500% charter fee for that bush plane round trip. I realise there is not much of a time frame for you to book this hunt but if anyone has the time and is looking to save 15000$ on this adventure this would be one to jump on , this is a very game rich area as I seen a ton of caribou , the moose are just now starting to shed velvet and theres some monster bulls in the NWT. If this hunt or any of our worldwide hunts has your interest please contact us and we will get the ball rolling right away . Thanks and have a great season guys.

21-Aug-18
Dream hunt here for sure, even after the 1500% charter fee... :)

21-Aug-18
So the original price is $38,500 for a moose and caribou hunt in this area?

21-Aug-18
Kind of what I was thinking..... $38,500 plus the $1.500 charter, so you're talking $40,000 plus your travel expense to get there, tips, etc....well over $40,000. Ridiculous. $15,000 off puts you right at about what a combo hunt in Northern B.C. would cost. Or you can go to Manitoba and do a combo hunt for Central Barren Ground Caribou (where you can take two) plus a moose for about $17,000 or less.

21-Aug-18
So pass on the opportunity if it does not strike your fancy

It is available to us not required of us

21-Aug-18
Manitoba isn't the NWT. Totally different experiences.

Thanks Bou.

21-Aug-18
I seen better deals but it sounds like they’re hunting is pretty good. :)

21-Aug-18

Yes guys I guess I need to really watch how i word these available hunts. And thanks to the guys that pm for clarification. The Yukon moose hunts guys are around 24-25k with charter fee in, don’t matter where ya go nowadays. Mountian caribou hunt is 14-16k with another charter fee. So around 40000$ if ya do it in separate years. A lot of guys like myself couldn’t afford to do both animals having like a caribou on trophy fee say 6500$ totallying 30000$

So there was a guide that I just hunted with that can now stay guiding and is world class guide so the outfitter has this guide available for this hunt and is offering it for 23500$. So ya can break it down how you want either moose for 17k and caribou for 6500k .

It is a savings of 15000$ if you simply have to book these hunts out 2-3 years like we all do. Any questions guys just please message or ask but this hunt is a true quality NWT combo hunt. Thanks guys and have a great season, all our hunters and Outfitters are off to a great start and bighorn hunters come in ina. Couple days, be safe guys

21-Aug-18
no matter how you slice it, this is a very good deal. If I didnt have a full fall i'd be all over this Pat...I need that Mt Bou

22-Aug-18

mulecreek's embedded Photo
A very typical moose
A very typical moose
I did a sheep/moose/caribou hunt in NWT a couple years ago. You can expect a lot of animals and absolutely no other hunters. Not sure if its the same outfitter but sounds like it might be. If you have the means and the time you will not regret the adventure.

22-Aug-18

An exceptional Mnt Caribou
An exceptional Mnt Caribou

22-Aug-18
Wish i could jump on this. If i wasnt already elk hunting i think i would have found a way to make it happen.

22-Aug-18
good lord, what a mtn bou!

22-Aug-18
Wow...big critters. Correct, Manitoba is not the NWT but sometimes it comes down to what's in the wallet and the size of the critters doesn't always correspond to the size of the adventure.

22-Aug-18
Mulecreek, those are some exceptional animals. Care to expound a little on the caribou, maybe the score ?

22-Aug-18
If i were to shoot another mountain bou, please let it be like that one. Wowza. Very nice

22-Aug-18
Nice animals. That first picture with the guy with his hand covering the rifle barrel is scary.

22-Aug-18
I'll start with stating that the sheep, moose and caribou were all rifle kills. I just started archery hunting last year. I do think that we could have had a very good chance of making a successful archery stalk on the caribou and I ended up taking the ram at 40 yds. Now that that is out of the way.

The plan was to hunt for sheep/caribou/moose in that order. Myself and one other hunter were taken to a different base camp than the other hunters and consequently we had one less day to hunt due to flying restrictions. Just as we were getting ready to fly out to start our sheep hunt my guide, Ryan Hartling, spots this bull from camp. Ryan is obviously intrigued by this bull. It looks big to myself and the other hunter but in truth I did not have much reference on caribou. Ryan tries to get Stan, the Outfitter and pilot to take a look at the bull but Stan says he is not going to delay a sheep hunt for a caribou. After some persistence, Stan takes a look through the spotter and immediately says "one of you is going to take that bull". We decide to flip a coin to decide who goes after the bull. I won! The bull is bedded on the other side of a lake. We spend a some time getting to within 200 yds but the bull is bedded sharply uphill and all we can see are the antlers. After a decent wait the bull stands up and one shot later he is down. Stan, the other guide and the other hunter watched the whole thing through the spotter. They also saw two more nice bulls just above where we were. While we took pics and cut on the bull, they worked over to us and were able to take another great bull just a couple hundred yards from us. The five of us spent the next few hours deboning and hauling meat back to camp. We ended up staying one more day and flew out for sheep the next morning. The velvet on the bull was in perfect shape. We decided to leave it on and see what happened. We still had 10 days or so before I flew out. If it slipped or spoiled then we would strip it off. Turns out a huge amount of blood drained out of the antlers and at the end of the hunt the velvet was still in great shape. I had no intensions of entering it in any book but before we split the skull Ryan measured as best he could remember how to measure a caribou. IIRC he came up with 440". Maybe I will give it a rough measurement one of these days. The velvet never did dry up or start to stink. I ended up leaving it on and had it shoulder mounted with the natural, untreated, velvet on. It still looks great, is soft and has no smell.

22-Aug-18
Thanks for sharing the story on the caribou. Velvet mountain caribou are impressive, but that one is exceptional. The results on keeping velvet seem to vary widely. To have a natural, untreated velvet mount is super. Must be great to look up at that one!

22-Aug-18
Wow now that’s what I’m talking about, fantastic job my friend and yes this exact adventure is being offered

• Sitka Gear