wytex 21-Aug-18
TheTone 21-Aug-18
JLeMieux 21-Aug-18
midwest 21-Aug-18
jordanathome 21-Aug-18
wytex 21-Aug-18
Darrell 21-Aug-18
21-Aug-18
I have been doing a lot of scouting in southern Colorado, I have come across a lot of closed roads, my hopes are they stay closed. Does anyone know if the forest department plan to open these roads for elk season?

21-Aug-18
I'm not sure but closed forest service roads are my favorite way to get back into some good country. I use a mountain bike..

21-Aug-18
In my limited experience on closed roads in Colorado I've found that they are all different. Some are smooth and an easy walk while others are so rutted up I wouldn't dream of trying to mountain bike them in the dark. I haven't seen one where the green gate was opened up during the season though.

When I hunted Colorado a couple years ago, I contacted the local forest service in that area and they knew when the cattle and sheep were supposed to be gone and also answered questions about the roads, etc...

--Mitch

21-Aug-18
Check the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the Forest and area and it will show the open roads and roads with seasonal closures.

21-Aug-18
As others have said, best to consult travel plans/maps and the local FS office. That said I have rarely seen roads that were closed in the summer opened in the fall, its more likely that some roads open now may be closed during fall.

21-Aug-18
There's a closed road close to our base camp. It isn't gated but has the brown figerglass sign stuck in the middle saying foot traffic only. Last year on the way past that road we noticed the sign had been pulled up and was leaning against a tree. The next day I was heading in to scout there and noticed the sign was gone. Walked down the road a 1/4 mile or so and there's a truck/camp. No one was at the camp or I would have said something. This year we'll report them if it happens again. Tacoma with TX plates.

21-Aug-18
What wytex said.

21-Aug-18
MVUM is the official resource for what is open and if it ain't on there it is closed regardless of its condition or if a-holes are using it anyway. The open and close dates for FS roads is not related in any way, to my knowledge, to hunting seasons for any species. It is based upon the determination of the FS agent in charge of the roads who looks at whether conditions are safe and whether the conditions are appropriate to preserve the road integrity. That is my understanding from talking with one of the agents in charge of FS road closures and openings.

If you see someone driving on a closed road, one that is not identified as open on the MVUM, then I encourage you to report it to the district ranger office. Provide the license plate, date, and location if possible.

21-Aug-18
Actually we have some roads closed just for wildlife considerations here in Southern Wyo. Report that truck . I would have left them a nice note stating FS was getting their truck description and plate numbers . I have many times put closed road signs back up after finding them taken down.

You can view the MVUM map online .

21-Aug-18
Yes we (law abiding hunters) need to help educate the masses about the MVUMs. They are now standard, I believe, in all National Forests (or at least they are supposed to be or are moving that direction). If a road is not on the MVUM it is not a legal road for anyone who doesn't have a special use permit, i.e. a rancher for working animals, forest service employee, etc.

The problem, however, is that so many (especially in NM) ignore the rules, tear down signs, etc. However, the MVUM takes the guesswork out, and if we as hunters stood up to the yahoos regularly, much of the crap would slow down at least. I take pictures and turn them in. Forest service officers have told me they can send tickets in the mail. Do they? I'm not 100% sure. However, I feel very satisfied when I send them in. I also talk with people I find driving on closed roads and let them know the road is closed. Usually what I hear is "Oh, I didn't know that." Whether that is true or playing dumb, who knows. Sometimes what I hear is "Screw that. We have used this road for X# of years and we will keep using it unless stopped." That is when I make a phone call and offer pictures.

• Sitka Gear