KY EyeBow 21-Aug-18
Bottomdweller 21-Aug-18
Medicare Bhtr 21-Aug-18
Jasper 21-Aug-18
Rth1229 21-Aug-18
Rth1229 22-Aug-18
Jasper 24-Aug-18
21-Aug-18
My college son and a buddy want to go on their first out of state deer hunt this fall. I’m dealing with cancer treatments and can’t go with them. Any suggestions on where they should try? Thanks!

21-Aug-18
I would look at the Land Between the Lakes area. They offer quota hunts there and many good bucks have been taken there. Lots of good deer in the western part of the state. It is more like midwest deer hunting than the rest of Kentucky. You can go to the KDFWR website and view public land information. I would focus on the Purchase and Green River regions. The Bluegrass region would also hold good deer. The Northeast region is good too, I live here, but I would focus on the western part of the state to optimize the opportunity at a good deer. The Southeast region would be my last choice for deer. Rough country and lower deer numbers than in the other areas.

21-Aug-18
I hunt the Taylorsville Lake WMA, southeast of Louisville. If you bowhunt there are good numbers of deer there and not many hunters. During the quota hunt and late muzzleloader season you will have company.

21-Aug-18
LBL is close to me and I used to hunt there a decent amount. They have recently cut back the deer limits to try and improve the herd quality if that tells you anything, hint hint, but there are deer there and if you PM me I would be glad to point you in a couple of directions. Another WMA to look at would be Higginson Henry WMA. That used to be a primitive weapons area only and I believe it still is, but I have no personal experience there. Hope that helps you some. Good luck with the CA treatments!!

21-Aug-18
Hunt LBL every year. Deer numbers are pretty low, but their are some good deer there. Also tons of hunting pressure all season long. Agree that the western part of the state holds some good public hunting. Higgins-Henry WMA and Peabody WMA are a couple worth looking into. Ballard WMA also holds some good deer

21-Aug-18
Jasper, where does your son attend college? Accessibility near there might be the key. All of the above suggestions are good. We might be able to help with access to public areas with minimal bowhunting pressure. Good luck with your treatments. Prayers.

21-Aug-18
Guys, thanks much for the willingness to help out and the well wishes. I have my first radiation treatment tomorrow. We live in Georgia and my son attends Georgia College. He’s an experienced bow hunter, just wants a little adventure and chance at a bigger buck than we have in average in Georgia. Thanks again, we’ll check some of those areas out. God bless! John

21-Aug-18
LBL and might be worth checking into hunting on Fort Campbell, it’s a pain in the rear end but there’s good deer in there.

22-Aug-18
LBL and might be worth checking into hunting on Fort Campbell, it’s a pain in the rear end but there’s good deer in there.

24-Aug-18
Wow, looks like Higginson Henry gets LOTS of pressure, think I’ll steer him away from there. Still researching, thanks for the help! John

• Sitka Gear