WV Mountaineer 24-Aug-18
trophyhill 25-Aug-18
WV Mountaineer 25-Aug-18
LINK 25-Aug-18
kota-man 25-Aug-18
brian andersen 26-Aug-18
Ermine 27-Aug-18
22-Aug-18
I have been running a Kifaru longhunter for about 12 yrs. Love the pack, specifically the belt and the suspension. I'm looking for a smaller pack for day hunting, to maybe a one or two nighter. Really like the looks of the EXO 2000. Has anyone tried both? Pros and cons?

22-Aug-18
I have no experience with Exo, but the Kifaru 22 mag may fit your needs perfectly.

23-Aug-18
I’ve always ran a bigger pack. I want not a lot of pockets but a pack capable of carrying one day of food up to 140 lbs of meat. Kifaru has never let me down in over a decade.

23-Aug-18
There is a lot of information about this comparison over on Rokslide.com

Darren

23-Aug-18
Go with the exo 3500. It compresses so small, I use mine for a day pack all the time and you have the ability to "first load out" with just your "daypack"

23-Aug-18
I have them. I prefer exo now over any other pack. Built to last,super light, the meat rack is just awesome!

23-Aug-18
There are loyal owners of both brands. I've used both and could be happy with either one. After 12 years of use from a longhunter I would suggest sticking with Kifaru. In response to the expanding market Kifaru has a LOT more models now to choose from than the old all-black, top loading Longhunter/Spike Camp/Late Season days.

23-Aug-18
I guess I just wish I knew that the EXO frame and belt are as comfortable as the Kifaru, as I really prefer the bag style and meat hauling design of the EXO.

23-Aug-18
I really like the Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack I just bought. It's 2000 ci. I carry it everyday.

23-Aug-18
>>I guess I just wish I knew that the EXO frame and belt are as comfortable as the Kifaru, as I really prefer the bag style and meat hauling design of the EXO.<<

It's pretty tough to beat a Kifaru belt.

The Exo frame works better for me though when shooting my bow.

Disclaimer: I don't carry 100 lb loads so I have zero experience in that regard with the Exo or the Kifaru. I'm too old to risk the injury. I can walk forever so I just make another trip.

23-Aug-18
Very comfortable

23-Aug-18
I saw a thread I think on Rokslide last year that someone takes Kifaru belt and frame, then buys an EXO 3500 bag and adapts the bag to fit the frame.

24-Aug-18
What’s so special about the exo 3500 bag over 1 of the many kifaru bag choices?

24-Aug-18
Link , I think the Main difference is the meat packing system. Second to none. There are other options exo has that Kifaru doesn't,but that being the main. The titanium frame is super light and durable,but I have heard of people doing the same thing.

24-Aug-18
Exo, is hands down the best pack I've used to date!

ElkNut/Paul

24-Aug-18
I run the EXO bag on my K frame...best of both worlds!

24-Aug-18
The Exo meatbpacking system is just leaving the bag tight to the bottom of the frame, while looseningbtge sides enough to form a v to place the meat in. It isn’t special to Exo and surely isn’t something people with Kifaru frames and bags do not alteady do. Sure, a bunch of Kifaru bags now have meat shelf’s on them. But, when not wanting to carry a huge load, I just leave the bottom tight and do it the Way Exo advises. Works great to get the load mid back and higher and will hold a whole deer deboned easily. Done that quite a bit.

24-Aug-18
Yes it does form a nice wedge, also has straps on the frame to strap the meat tight to the frame, and more straps on top side of the frame to pull the load upward.

24-Aug-18
"I guess I just wish I knew that the EXO frame and belt are as comfortable as the Kifaru, as I really prefer the bag style and meat hauling design of the EXO. "

I very much agree with you. I love my Kifaru suspension, frame and belt, but I'm a meatshelf fan too, and MR, Exo and SG have Kifaru beat in that department. Sure you can do it with a Kifaru, but its not as user friendly.

24-Aug-18
Honestly, I have no idea what guys are referring to when the thought is presented about their waistbelts being uncomfortable. What are you talking about. I've packed out a doz bulls with this pack as has 4 of us on the ElkNut Team, none of us experience this! It's a sweet pack even at 125# loads.

ElkNut/Paul

24-Aug-18
I'm with elknut here . I don't know what is uncomfortable about exo.

24-Aug-18
Who said Exo is uncomfortable? I can't find anyone in this discussion that is describing Exo as uncomfortable. I did say Kifaru has a nice belt and they do but I still sold the Kifaru pack and kept the Exo.

I find it amazing that anyone can describe a 120-140 load as comfortable with any pack.

24-Aug-18
No one called the EXO uncomfortable, no need to create contraversy where none exists. The Kifaru waist belt is probably THE most comfortable in the industry (and is the biggest reason I used their packs), so no slight to EXO.

Pack comfort is highly personal, so no wrong answer here. It is also nice to be able to pretty easily deploy EXO bags on Kifaru frames.

24-Aug-18
Kifaru has a dedicated meat shelf on most if not all current gen bags. Why it gets stated any other way is beyond me. I have zero interest in which brand you buy. Just do your own research. God Bless men

25-Aug-18
What's the cost difference between the 2. More specifically, I have the BT1 and love that I can get 10 days of gear and food in it when necessary.

25-Aug-18
Kifaru frames with aluminum stays and comparable bags are as cheap as the Exo's or cheaper, for the most part. People are going to deny that but go look for yourself at their listed prices. Where Kifaru gets more expensive is when you buy the hunting or tactical frame with the carbon composite stays or, buy a huge technical bag that Exo simply does not produce in comparable size.

I've never owned a Exo. The differences as I know them is that most of Kifaru's bags now come with a sewed on meat shelf. Both can be run with meat between the frame and bag by keeping the bottom of the bag cinched tight to the frame and creating a wedge. However, Kifaru tactical and hunter frames have a higher anchor point for the meat shelf too.

Both are American made, offer military discounts to veterans or service personnel, and have outstanding customer service. I have heard Kifaru state they source only American made material. I believe that as they do some government contract work as I understand it. I'm not aware of Exo's stance on this. People seem to prefer the Exo bags if the like a bunch of pockets for organization. People who use pullouts to organize their gear seem to prefer the Kifaru's due to the simplicity. However, Kifaru has surely introduced a bunch of bags this year with more organization. So, that may no longer be true. It truly has been so many new offerings I haven't even bothered looking. So, I'm simply unsure what to say about it then this.

Both seem to be great companies. Both seem to offer a solid choice. Kifaru has many more options in bags and frames. They offer more colors, have a heavier material used in the bags etc.... Their outfitted packs tend to be a bit heavier for that reason too. It boils down to what you want. If they both offer your needs, then it boils down to best fit.

If you are truly looking for a no bias opinion, I'd pm kotaman. He's owned about all the major pack brands made the way i understand it.

25-Aug-18
Last I remember Kota preferred Kifarus frame and a Stone Glacier X curve was his second. I could be wrong and his opinions could have changed. I purchased Kifaru because of what Kota and Barty had to say. Bartys blowout on his Exo was all I needed to see. A new pack of these prices shouldn’t blowout on a heavy 100 mile pack. I never plan on doing that sort of hiking but when I shell out $800 I want something my kids will inherit.

25-Aug-18
..I’m using a Kifaru Fulcrum for the “big stuff”, (moose/elk) and a SG 5900 with the X Curve for lighter duty and extreme (sheep/goats) stuff. Love both set ups. I agree with Matt in that the Kifaru Waist belt is rivaled by no one. I’ve owned a couple EXO’s and while comfortable, I prefer Kifaru and Stone Glacier. I have not tried the newest Exo frame though. Lots of great choices out there today. Try as many as you can and go with what feels right.

26-Aug-18
Kifaru has the best belt that's why i put one on my EXO frame.

27-Aug-18
Kifaru is the best. Handles the heavy loads the most comfortable

• Sitka Gear