Kurt 23-Aug-18
brettpsu 23-Aug-18
squirrel 23-Aug-18
Bowriter 23-Aug-18
splitlimb13 23-Aug-18
Michael 23-Aug-18
Mpdh 23-Aug-18
22-Aug-18
I've had some really close calls on great bucks since the season opened on Saturday. No dice so far. How much longer do I have until the velvet goes? A week or two? Yesterday, I watched one of my target bucks pushing around a smaller buck with his antlers...so they can't be sensitive at this point.

I'll probably take a day or two off mid week next week (too many weekend hunters) for one last crack at a velvet buck.

22-Aug-18
Don't know where you're at, but from what you mentioned it won't be very long.

22-Aug-18
YZ, here in Utah the velvet is usually on until after Labor Day. Once the antler quits growing and blood flow stops the velvet gets kind of an unattractive color and hasn't got the fluff it had earlier. I love the short gray coat with pretty brown sugar color velvet...good luck!!

22-Aug-18
I seen two 5x5 buck today in full velvet but looking like it will be any day in will be gone

22-Aug-18
I took one on the Arizona Strip (border of Southern Utah) last year that was still in full velvet on 8/31, as were the two bucks with him.

22-Aug-18

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This was one I was after. Got within 50 yards but no clean shot

23-Aug-18
I arrowed a really nice mule deer in CO on Sept 7 that was in full velvet....until he rolled 400 vertical feet (12,000’ down to 11,600’ on the GPS) down a slide and knocked a lot of it off. Good luck on your hunt.

23-Aug-18
Central Idaho last year every buck was still in velvet up till Sept 4th.

23-Aug-18
All being local it starts about 9-10 here and goes for about a week or two at most.

23-Aug-18
Here in TN, it will be about a month, toward the end of Sept.

23-Aug-18
In new Mexico your looking at last week of September first couple weeks of October.

23-Aug-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
In Ne I seen bucks shedding at the end of the first week through the second week of September.

In 2013 when I hunted Utah the bucks I seen all had velvet up until the end of archery season which was the end of the 2nd week of September if I remember right.

I took this picture on August 28th of last year in Wyoming. So some bucks will shed earlier then others.

23-Aug-18
I hit one with my truck on Labor Day yrs ago. His antlers were bare, and a lot of the recently shed velvet was still stuck on top of his head.

• Sitka Gear