onX Maps
States on Transporting Heads, meat, etc.
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Darrell 23-Aug-18
WapitiBob 23-Aug-18
Buffalo1 23-Aug-18
Franklin 23-Aug-18
Darrell 24-Aug-18
WapitiBob 24-Aug-18
Lost Arra 24-Aug-18
Lost Arra 24-Aug-18
Trial153 24-Aug-18
WapitiBob 24-Aug-18
23-Aug-18
Thought it would be helpful to post what the different states regs say about transporting heads, skulls, antlers, etc. CWD has certainly caused many states to clamp down even if you are just driving through. Personally, I would like to bring a skull from NM through CO to KS in a few weeks and am wondering what I can do to be legal.

23-Aug-18
What could go wrong...

23-Aug-18
If you don't already have a reg book for the states you will be traveling through, you could either go to website of the desired states and check out the regs and make copies of the states' law or contact the specify state wildlife dept and have them send you a reg book or inquire with a law enforcement on the phone and get specific information and ask that they send you referenced info or help find info on line.

I did this last year when planning to transport WT head and meat from MO to my home state. I had the needed info with me when I traveled through the states incase I got stopped and was questioned by law enforcement . I made sure I was legal in all states to be travelled before I departed MO.

23-Aug-18
I am involved in the Federal aspects of "game laws" including state side and world wide. I can tell you they are so convoluted, vague and open for interpretation you could follow them to a "T" and still be in violation. It`s getting out of control.

24-Aug-18

Darrell's Link
WapitiBob,

"What can go wrong?" that's exactly what I'm asking. I would like to bring home what I need to do a Euro mount but I'm wondering if its possible anymore without risking fines, confiscation, etc.

From what I've seen so far, my route is pretty hunter friendly. The best site I've found so far is the one I've linked. Unfortunately, it is from 2017 so I things could have changed. I will pull up the regs from all 3 states before I leave. I was just hoping we could share what we have learned. I heard there was a Euro thread that got pulled but it was gone before I saw it so I have no idea what went south on it to the point it got deleted.

24-Aug-18
Use google and find the head game warden for the states you'll be going thru, call them and ask what's required. I would not call the front desk and ask, I'd have a name. Wy requirements are met if you remove the skull from the spine, cape the head, and remove the eyes and brains, per the Chief Game Warden. For a euro I'd remove the lower jaw as well.

24-Aug-18
WapitiBob: what's the issue with a lower jaw? I've always kept the lower jaw and had it "beetled" on whitetail euros. It can provide an estimate on age and I like to compare them. I sure can't see it being any more of a contamination risk than the skull.

24-Aug-18
Just to be clear: I keep the lower jaws and have them cleaned but they aren't attached to the euro mount.

24-Aug-18
I have friend that was went through this in NY. It was cluster UCk to say the least. By all accounts he was in compliance, however he was still issued tickets and had the meat and skull taken. A few trips to court, lawyer fees and lot of aggravation amounted to all the charges being dropped and returned set of sawed off mule deer antlers. At this point I cap every skull plate and call it a day. I am not interested in a pissing contest with some Enon officer that may or may not know the law.

24-Aug-18
There is no cwd issue with it and if it was to be part of the euro mount I'd leave it on. The earlier thread was referencing a euro and all euros I've seen had the lower jaw removed and as such, included removing it when I spoke to the WY LEO about meeting the cwd requirement.

• Sitka Gear