How fires move elk?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
BIGERN 23-Aug-18
Dyjack 23-Aug-18
Chuckster 23-Aug-18
patdel 23-Aug-18
23-Aug-18
I have some backup spots that have had fires in them or are a ridge or two from what's burnt. I'm talking this years fires. Can you help me guess as to where the resident elk would relocate to? Are they likely to vacate to miles away or might they just go over the top and hang out on the unburnt side of the mountain or ridge if the predominant wind kept the smoke away. I have no experience with this situation. I am talking mostly timbered with 50-70% beetle kill,and multiple thousand acres burnt. Thanks

23-Aug-18
If it's not still burning and rain has been decent since then. They're very liable to be back in there munching the fresh green grass. You'd be surprised how fast fresh sprouts come.

23-Aug-18
We have 2 ranches in the area we hunt and the ranchers have told me that elk will follow the smoke because they know the fresh green shoots are not far behind. About 3 years ago we had a large fire about 40 miles east of our area and the elk numbers dropped dramatically. Last year we had a large controlled burn in our area and the elk numbers went up right after. I have personally seen elk feeding in burnout areas that were still smoldering. Don't overlook fresh burn areas. Good luck.

23-Aug-18
There was a big fire burning where I hunted last year. There were elk within a mile of it.

The smoke was bad, and it made it hard for me to hunt (asthma) but the elk never left.

Forest service wound up closing that portion of unit, but the elk were still there.

Couple weeks later got a rainy spell, fire went out and there were still elk there.

• Sitka Gear