TrapperKayak 29-Aug-18
elkman52 29-Aug-18
Brotsky 29-Aug-18
Mr.C 29-Aug-18
elkmtngear 29-Aug-18
Outdoorsdude 30-Aug-18
NorCalVineyards 30-Aug-18
25-Aug-18
I didn't sleep well, drank too much, come morn I'm still tired!

What weak reasons or excuses have you dealt with or heard before or during your elk hunts?

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-18
I told myself I was to cold to get out of the sleeping bag, I heard the elk outside my tent shortly after daylight. No more excuses for me.

25-Aug-18
Yeah every once in a while I'll sleep in, and every single time I end up feeling guilty about it.

Wayne Carlsen once said, "Elk hunting is tough, so YOU gotta be tough".

Simple but so true.

25-Aug-18
Had to drive my partner home because he was homesick!Real Deal..lost 2 days of my Bull Elk hunt.Lost all my bonus points.And hunting partner,buried him out back...

25-Aug-18
I guess there is one advantage of getting old: I wake up well before dawn every day with no alarm. I haven't "slept in" in 20 years. The tough decision is when nature calls at 3am do I try to go back to sleep or just get dressed.

25-Aug-18
I also have the mixed blessing of not being able to sleep in. On days off I still get up and drink my coffee. I am always the first up in any camp. Turning on the lantern or lights getting coffee started. It’s my favorite part of the day. Even on work days I get up 1.5 hrs before I have to leave for work. Just to enjoy my coffee and read. I have however on many occasions dicked around too long after being awake for 2 hrs only to be late to my starting spot. I kick myself hard when I do that. The old inner dialogue boots to the nut sack start something like. “ are you freaking kidding me, you Dick around in camp 2 hrs before you need to get up and now it’s cracking daylight and you aren’t in position” :)

25-Aug-18
Since I hunt solo, here's mine, "I can't believe I blew that opportunity"......"stay on your grind"

25-Aug-18
Ha Ha, good stuff. I too am that guy that gets up 1.5 hours every morn while hunting! I like relaxing drinking a cup of coffee & going over the mornings hunt!

How about The Elk Don't Care if I'm Not In Shape???

I know I have days when working out or it's time for a run that I just flat don't feel like it! I grind it out anyway telling myself the whole time that the elk don't care, get my lazy a$$ out there & do it, & I do! Come elk season I'm glad I did!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-18
I'm guilty of giving into the temptation of comfortable sleeping bag. Now I try to make my sleeping system enough for a good sleep while still being uncomfortable enough that I'd rather get up when the alarm goes off at 4.

25-Aug-18
The elk don’t care if I’ve shot thousands of arrows. I’m dialed in to 110 yards. They come in to 10 yards and don’t give a good shot and walk off laughing. Paul might call it a chuckle. I call it taunting. :)

25-Aug-18
I’ve got a little surprise for them this year. I’ve been listening to the ElkNut app!

25-Aug-18
Lol Paul. Yeah elk don't care when a fat outta shape guy sticks an arrow thru both lungs ;)

25-Aug-18
Ha Ha, I hate bulls like that! I've had a 1/2 dozen bulls in at 10 yards or under, only killed one of them, there's such a thing as too close for me!

Hmm, too comfortable sleeping arrangement, didn't think that was possible, ha ha!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-18
Jay, you now have a leg up on the competition! You will do well!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-18
I've had a few friends state there tired after a few days of hunting and sleep in. Every time they do, I go out and kill one and then they have to get up and pack some meat.

Also I have buddies that want to go then burn all there vacation and have to bow out.

I get up and go hunting every morning no matter what. I prefer to go solo.

25-Aug-18
Great hunting partners are harder to find than an unpresured bulls. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a friend that wants you to take them out west or Alaska with you, those people are everywhere. But, finding Someone willing to spend years to develop a spot, do camp chores, put others hunt before their own. Be prepared to do what it takes. And be self sufficient. It’s very hard to find that person.

25-Aug-18
The elk don't care if it is the first day or the last day! The elk don't care what brand or pattern of camo I am wearing!

25-Aug-18

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
The elk don’t care if I take a mid days nap like I’m doing as we speak. Yes I get phone reception in one of my otc spots in Co.

25-Aug-18
Lungshot, awesome! Good luck on your elk hunt!

Elk don't care if your feet hurt!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-18
Lungshot, I think I see an elk feeding behind you.

25-Aug-18
Lol yeah no kidding Paul, this was a good quick day hunt to break my feet in for the Wyoming opener on the first. Lots of hiking today. Mostly just concentrating on getting the boys a deer or an elk. They have both tags. Super hot and dry today. Not much elk action. Been up since 2am. Needed that quick shut eye.

I wouldn’t doubt it Bowboy, last time I fell asleep in that exact spot I was woke up at 1:30 in the afternoon by about 8-10 elk tearing Ass through the meadow and up the trail I was sleeping on!! Go figure...

25-Aug-18
Apparently I stink. And they care. A lot.

25-Aug-18
Lol pat

25-Aug-18
The Elk don't care about how old what Bow you shoot, or Broadhead your shooting..

25-Aug-18
The elk don't care if...I play AC/DC at loud DB's in camp at night. They come to listen and I can hear the screams trying to impersonate Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. Shazbot, Nanu Nanu

26-Aug-18
It's not just the elk that don't care...... =D

26-Aug-18
Elk don't care if you are at 6000 or 10000' but your buddy on high blood pressure medication does.

26-Aug-18
Elk don’t care if you stared at one specific spot on Google Earth all summer that looked like paradise. They laugh becauseyour plan had all your eggs in one basket. When you get there they have a plan of their own 5 miles away.

26-Aug-18
Show up or not...

26-Aug-18
Elk don't care if you care......

26-Aug-18
"These boots are literally frozen and I can't even get my feet in them to hunt." Good thing I had a spare. There are times I've given in to temptation also.

26-Aug-18
Throw another arrow at him...It shows you care.

27-Aug-18
My only excuse and I know it is weak. I will not leave camp if it is raining. 30 minutes after it stops, I'm on the trail. I will not stop hunting if it starts raining while I'm in the field. Big part of the reason is that is not safe on the back roads and on the trails; slick as snot.

27-Aug-18
Slipshot, I have a tendency to go back to sleep if it's raining too. A little drizzle is one thing. Heavy rain, especially with thunder and lightning and I pull the pin.

Two years ago a couple Colorado guys had a base camp next to mine. I was up and ready to go, and could see lightning over the mountain. When the sky lit up, I could see the black clouds. Looked nasty. Back in the bag I went. I heard them leave. When the golf ball size hail and torrential downpour started half hour later, I couldn't help but smile as I laid in my nice dry warm tent.

27-Aug-18
The elk don't care that you paid $1100 for a tag when you have a 10% chance of filling it..

27-Aug-18
Elk don't care if you were dumb and ate the Mountain House Spicy Chicken when you got back to camp, then followed it up with a Spicy Breakfast Hash before leaving camp.

27-Aug-18
YZF-88 I feel you!

27-Aug-18
Ha Ha, lots of true ones here! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

27-Aug-18
The elk don’t care how many pounds you shoot

29-Aug-18
The elk don't care if your stalking over a mountain top at 9000 ft. elevation and crouch down to peer under the brush and put your knee right into a cactus....yes a cactus! "What the @!%$ is a cactus doing in the middle of a pine forest on the top of a 9000 ft. mountain?!" Welcome to Arizona!

29-Aug-18
The elk don't care if you fart in your scent-loc pants while standing upwind. That's what I heard anyways.

29-Aug-18
Elk don't care if you follow them in knee deep snow for 6 hours, only to look up at sundown's red clouds and realize you are 7 miles from the truck and have to cross through a canyon to get back to your ridgetop where the trail leads you out. Nor that you had to wallow through that canyon's belly deep powder and then sit on the next ridge for an hour to rest because it drained you, then get up and go the last 5 miles in a head-on snowstorm that just blew in, and get back to the truck at around 11 pm, exhausted. They kept looking back at me (I could catch glimpses of their smiling faces peering back) and laughing at the fool trying to get in range of them, and they just didn't care...

29-Aug-18
The elk don't care that I am from New Jersey when the wind swirls they treat me like a resident and booger on out of there!

29-Aug-18
I'll tell who doesn't care...the honey badger. He doesn't give a $#!^.

29-Aug-18
your driving a tractor or walking next to one

29-Aug-18
The Elk don't care if you look like a Supermodel for a Sporting Goods Catalog. Which is exactly why I refuse to dress up for them...they just put their noses in the air!

Pompous Bass-Turds!

30-Aug-18
The Elk don't care...... how many booner whitetail you have shot out of your blind, by the corn feeder.

30-Aug-18
The elk don't care whether or not my obsessions with social media has me " NEEDING" to kill a bull for the brag board.

• Sitka Gear