KHunter 27-Aug-18
TrapperKayak 27-Aug-18
South Farm 27-Aug-18
splitlimb13 27-Aug-18
nmwapiti 27-Aug-18
jordanathome 27-Aug-18
PoudreCanyon 27-Aug-18
26-Aug-18
As I laid in bed Saturday night, I kept thinking how much I hated opening weekend....hot, no bugles, full moon, tired legs. I talked myself out of hunting Sunday but managed to drag myself out of bed at 4:15 for a quick morning hunt. 2 bugling bulls and 5 bulls less than 25 yards managed to change my mind about opening weekend. Hearing horns clashing at 15 yards really gets the heart pumping!!!! Amazing how much can change in a day! Here’s to next weekend!

How’d everyone else do?

26-Aug-18
Only hunted Saturday but same deal, hot, dry, no bugles and no fresh sign in my usual otc spot. I’ve also never hunted there this early either. Lesson learned.

26-Aug-18
Opening day I was returning crap lumber and getting some good lumber and a few other supplies. Today, I worked on my hunting cabin. Got rafters up. Took bow with just in case, but did not really hunt, worked.

26-Aug-18
Hunted opening morning only. Same as above, hot and dry, but I did see multiple bulls. All bulls in bachelor herds. A couple of halfhearted attempts at bugles. Wind was bad for me, so I had no stalking opportunity at the bulls I saw. One real good one. Also watched a couple of two year old's sparring for about 10 minutes. As Ucsdryder said, the sounds of antlers clashing gets you going, although I was a lot further away than he was, This year is the earliest date the season can start, it's too early for my taste. Back at it in earnest next weekend. Good luck to all.

26-Aug-18
Most bugling I’ve ever seen 3 elk down in one day.

One giant herd with swarms of bulls bugling like it’s the end of sept I don’t get it but no complaining.

26-Aug-18
Keep em coming.......

27-Aug-18
Pics?? Come on guys ! I'm leaving Thursday and need something to get me through!

27-Aug-18
Go over to the Colorado Meat Pole forum and see what DirtyD did :)

27-Aug-18

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
Here ya go split, tide you over till you hit the Gila...

27-Aug-18
What I hate most is the day after the closing day, and/or not being in elk country to hunt at all. I'd welcome the opening day you describe any day over that...

27-Aug-18
Funny how the mind plays tricks on us...every fiber of your being tells you the elk hunting will SUCK in the early HOT season, yet year in and year out that's been when many of our most successful hunts have taken place. You just gotta put mind over matter and get out there.

27-Aug-18
That K!!! That's a definite pick me up !!! Great pic!

27-Aug-18
Hey Split. I'm already down here. I start scouting tomorrow night. Albuquerque looks nice and green.

27-Aug-18
Got into lots of bulls. Had 2 at 25 yards...no shot. Good times.

27-Aug-18
Sucked for me. Half a dozen yokels hunting within 400 yards of where I got all my cam photos this summer, bugling away and honking on their hoochie mamas. One guy pitched a tent 300 yards away and showed up at daybreak asking if I had hunted there before. Back to the drawing board...

• Sitka Gear