ELKMAN 31-Aug-18
Chief 419 31-Aug-18
Chief 419 31-Aug-18
Missouribreaks 31-Aug-18
Bigdan 02-Sep-18
hoyt-6190 03-Sep-18
ELKMAN 05-Sep-18
27-Aug-18
This is the second day of rain in a row yesterday we got a 1/4 inch this morning it started at 4am and is still at it 3/4 inch so far. All the water tanks or full that I have checked out. There is so much feed cows can't make a dent in it . I had to start the fire today in the cabin it was 57 inside this morning. Any one getting here a few days before the season starts its going to be muddy and you not likely to get to were you want to.

27-Aug-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is what your going to find for the next few days

27-Aug-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is what your going to find for the next few days

27-Aug-18
That looks nasty! I'm headed up the middle of next month.

27-Aug-18
Appreciate the update Dan. Keep us informed. I told Craig we might have to stay put for a couple days here and there if it gets wet.

27-Aug-18
Can u drive on the field edge or is that too wet also

27-Aug-18
Didn't you post that pic last year? Looks pretty nasty either way.

27-Aug-18
You can’t drive anywhere when it’s that wet . Breaks gumbo is like no other mud in the world!! Just stay put if it rains like that!!

27-Aug-18
And you can't drive off the roads and like huntman said results would be the same

28-Aug-18
I have experienced that mud in Kansas, Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming but you could drive in the field next to the road usually and not get stuck and most of the ranchers actually appreciated if you did that. I guess that there has been so much water that even the fields are soaked is what i was asking.

28-Aug-18
Even if you can stay on the road with the gumbo, it will fill up your wheel-wells. It is not fun.

Dan - is the rain just recent or has it been a wet summer too?

28-Aug-18
I've been waiting for the Breaks Report thread to start. Took me four years to draw since last there. This will be my third trip to 410. Did 700 once. Will be headed out for two weeks sept 15th. Would love to hear privately from anybody that hunted last season wanting to share. Counting the days! Tim.

28-Aug-18
We had lots of rain in June and July but till now only a trace in Aug we ended up just shy of 2 inches with this storm no thunder or lightning that was good blue sky today but only 59 at 11 am it will take a few days to dry out

28-Aug-18
Thanks hope to he there scouting on Friday.

28-Aug-18
You'll be doing the breaks shuffle!

Hope it dries out and good luck

28-Aug-18
Lots of skeeters in areas.

28-Aug-18
If you stay on the river you will be eaten alive but get up on top and no bugs camper is a must on the river

28-Aug-18
Bigdan-What side of the river are you on?North or south?

29-Aug-18
My brother in laws family owns a ranch in the Breaks and being from Kansas I have never seen mud like you will find in the Breaks.

29-Aug-18
I know that spot!

Yep, stay on pavement or hard gravel. Walking with 40 lb boots......a half inch taller with every step. Feels like you're flying when the mud breaks loose..... for a few steps....

29-Aug-18
There are places in western SD that are like that...not fun.

29-Aug-18
Freaking gumbo, I've had experiences with that. Impassable when wet signs mean just that.

29-Aug-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I had snow here in western Montana monday. Still pretty dry here though.

29-Aug-18
85 here today it will dry up fast

30-Aug-18
How did the deer and antelope come through last winter over there Dan?

30-Aug-18
Lost some fawns due to the cold but I have seen lots of Deer & Antelope And the Shoulder elk season has been a bust The heavy snow & Below zero temps have kept the hunters away

31-Aug-18
Very nice. Glad to hear it. I was worried after hearing about the extreme losses in some places along the high line.

31-Aug-18
I’m headed to the Breaks, Unit 410 on September 27th. Hoping for some cooler, dry weather. It took me 5 years to draw the tag. Really looking forward to this hunt.

31-Aug-18
Well....It seems Bowsite has been hacked.

31-Aug-18
Good hunting everyone!

02-Sep-18
Bulls are bugling but some cows don't have bulls with them yet another week it will be balls to the walls. not many hunters yet but I know that will change the second week

03-Sep-18
Just got back. Saw one small six chasing a cow. Saw some lone bulls, groups of only cows,single bulls and heard no bugles.

05-Sep-18
Good to hear. Pretty quiet here in the west from what I'm hearing...

• Sitka Gear