Bou'bound 28-Aug-18
rershooter 28-Aug-18
Ken 28-Aug-18
oldgoat 28-Aug-18
Hunting5555 30-Aug-18
Hawkeye 30-Aug-18
Franklin 30-Aug-18
28-Aug-18
I'm wondering if I should mess with my set up or not? I do want optimum performance but don't know if I want to open a can of worms this close to the season. Here's the skinny. Hoyt vector turbo. 29" draw at 70#'s Goldtip xt hunter 300's arrows 30.5" long with 100grain heads/tips. Broadheads are Slicktrick 100 grain standards. Loop and release aid. The broadheads are flying the same as field points all the way out to 80 yards. Just for fun I shot a bareshaft as mentioned above, at 20 yards and it flew badly nock right. Is the arrow overspined? Am I torqueing? Is my rest set wrong? and the fletchings are correcting all this? Should I mess with something or just forget about what the bareshaft is doing?

28-Aug-18
BH and FP are together to 80 yards tells me your bow is tuned, and if holding decent groups at 80, your form is solid.

Don't touch a thing

28-Aug-18
Step away from the tuning...

28-Aug-18
You are over thinking it in my opinion. Broadheads hitting with your FP is all you need.

28-Aug-18
Can't answer that without being there.....Did the bare shaft impact the target to same point of impact but, the nock is to the right with the shaft at an angle? If so, no worries.

Sometimes I see shooters get extra nervous when shooting bare shafts for the first time and that can induce some hand torque.

28-Aug-18
I wouldn't change anything at this point but.... Likely torque but could try to twist the right yolk and take one out of the left. If got better then yes..could improve the BS flight but if BH and FP are shooting well Id leave alone at this point. Also, shoot 2-3 different BS and see if ALL are the same before you tear stuff down and tweak things.

Again....most people cant shoot FP together at 80 yards...much less broadheads. Id leave alone.

28-Aug-18
Don't change a thing. You're not trying to kill animals with a bareshaft. Unless you mean BH and FP fly the same terribly eradicate pattern missing the target then just let it be. If it's not broken don't fix it.

28-Aug-18
I'm with the other guys... If you are matching BH and FP at 80 and are able to group out there... touch nothing, but your release trigger :) and have fun!

28-Aug-18
I just hate it when I’m accurate to 80 and my bare shafts lean a bit. Really messes up my tag filling chances

28-Aug-18
yeah, the bareshaft does hit pretty close to where I'm aiming, it's just in the target at about a 45 degree angle, nock right.

28-Aug-18
Field points and broadheads hitting together at 80 yards is as good as it gets.

28-Aug-18
Broadheads are final word for me tuning, any chance there was a cross breeze when you shot the bare shaft that want there or was handled by the fletched shafts?

30-Aug-18
As X-man said, if the bare shaft is still impacting in the same place, don't worry about it. If it was truly that out of tune, the bare shaft would impact no where close to a fletched arrow aimed at the same spot.

Something to consider, that big of an angle would be a huge whipping back and forth as the arrow flies. You should be able to see it do that in flight. I'm guessing whatever your target is, it is likely kicking the arrow sideways upon impact. I've seem mine do this many times. The arrow flies perfect down to the target, and then upon impact, I see the tail kick sideways 3 or 4 inches. If I'm really trying to be picky, I try to pick new areas of the target that has never been shot before. This will help reduce the occurrence of it kicking, but it still happens sometimes.

30-Aug-18
+1 Hunting5555

Good points.

30-Aug-18
I agree....if your arrows are "impacting" at the same point but are corkscrewing in flight you do have a issue. If you are impacting at the same point and your arrow is flying true that is all that you can ask for. True arrow flight and impact point accuracy are the keys to proper penetration and killing effectiveness.

• Sitka Gear