splitlimb13 29-Aug-18
painless 29-Aug-18
wildwilderness 29-Aug-18
ahunter55 29-Aug-18
Kurt 29-Aug-18
Mule Power 29-Aug-18
Quinn @work 29-Aug-18
28-Aug-18
So I am debating buying a good spotting scope. I have a pair of Swaro 12 x 50's binoculars. I am talking for elk hunting (or moose come to think of it). I could really only remember really wanting one a few times in the past couple years and my binoc's reach out pretty well. Do you have one with you? How many times do you actually use it? I buy once for a lifetime so will end up spending way too much on one if I do. Worth it?

28-Aug-18
Are you trophy hunting in open country? Will you kill a 260 inch elk or a smaller raghorn? Depending on what you're after it'd influence your decision.

I hunt elk every year, but I only use my spotter for sheep/goats/deer. I haven't found a need for it elk hunting, but then I hunt timber. I'm bringing it this year for more open country, but I don't know if I'll haul it around.

28-Aug-18
Totally depends on what type of terrain and where you are hunting. I use the Chit out of mine and have for many years, but I mostly hunt big country out west. It is absolutely a necessity for how and where I hunt.

28-Aug-18
If you have the money, it is nice to have. What is the reason for a spotting scope? From my experience spotters really help trophy hunters since you are looking for something special.

Have you ever glassed with your binos on a tripod? You can probably double the amount of animals you glass up with a good tripod and pan for your current binos.

I find trophy mule deer hunting in open terrain really benefits from a spotter. looking for a legal sheep would also be essential. Especially if you connect your digi camera to review angles. Where are you hunting moose? If you are trying to judge 50" or 3/4 brow tines a spotter would be helpful to decide to go after it, or take a long rifle shot.

In General, spotters identify individual animals and save time and effort getting closer if the animal is not what you want.

28-Aug-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Have you considered the Swarovski doubler? It'd make your binocs a 24x50 spotter.

28-Aug-18
I’ve found for most terrain 15s on a tripod serve me better given my level of what defines a trophy.

Sheep is the only hunt I feel I HAVE to have a killer spotter. I can do with or without on everything else. If I’m not backpacking I generally have it along because why not.

28-Aug-18
260 isn’t a raghorn. That makes P&Y!

I hunt some semi open country. I take my spotting scope every day and I use it. If you have one you’ll find use for it. There are lots of times when I can see elk with my 10x42 ELs but can’t tell if they are even bulls or cows let alone how big a bull is.

Even if you aren’t trophy hunting it’s nice to know what you’re looking at. It’s fun too!

I love hunting where I can see. Nothing beats spotting game before they spot you. It’s very conducive to success too. It’s pretty handy covering a bunch of ground knowing there’s an animal you want and even better knowing when it’s time to slow down. Pretty nice knowing when it’s not worth hiking all the way over there too! A spotter really does help you hunt smarter instead of harder in my opinion. It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten busted sneaking through timber trying to find elk. And mule deer bucks perched way up high.... you gotta glass em up first or you’re doomed!

28-Aug-18
I have a Swaro 80mm scope...heavy but i pack it everywhere. Has saved me a boatload of walking over the 15 years i have had it

28-Aug-18
I didn't say a 260 was a raghorn. I said a "...260 or smaller raghorn." If you're gonna shoot any 260 or smaller that steps in front of you, then there's no reason to have a spotting scope.

28-Aug-18
I love using my spotter. However most of the time I am in country it’s not needed for elk hunting.

This year is a more open unit so all glassing that will be done will be with my spotter.

The million dollar question to ask yourself is what type of terrain will you be hunting and will it be needed for that terrain.

28-Aug-18
I sure like my Minox mini scope. However, I don't really take it elk hunting, mostly for pronghorn

29-Aug-18
I feel like I find game better with 10x42 binocs with my elbows on my knees, than I do with a 16x65 spotter on a tripod at distances at/under 3 miles. At 3 miles+, I like the spotter for finding animals.

And the spotter takes much longer to deploy if you count hiking along and grabbing your binos off your chest. IMO, spotters are to look at individual animals to sex or judge trophy quality. This thread is about elk, so for elk hunting, if you're not trying to judge the difference between a 260 and a 320 (or a 320 and a 350/380), there's no reason to have a spotter unless you want to glass over 3 miles. It's a fraction of elk country where you'd want to glass 3+ miles with enough determination to haul along a spotter (past the truck) to make the effort of carrying such a heavy piece of glass with you.

29-Aug-18
Thank you all, great insight. I do hunt with a rifle also and am out west quite a bit in late fall hunting elk along with an early trip in September for archery elk. I am 64 but thinking this is something my boys would use for years. I did not know about the Swaro doubler Kodiak so will look into that. I have trophies on the wall already so not necessarily a trophy hunter and more willing to eat my tag than shoot a non mature animal. Finally I have narrowed it to a Swaro 20 x 60 -65mm (fro weight purposes) and a Vortex Razor 22 x 48-65MM. Obviously the Swaro is twice the cost. Any thoughts here. Appreciate your help!

29-Aug-18
Most "objective" reviews put the Swaro ahead of the Razor. For me, I would lean toward the Razor unless you are planning to sheep hunt to use the spotter for glassing to initially locate game on a regular basis.

A spotting scope is very valuable to me on high country deer hunts, but used primarily to determine: "do I want to hike all the way up/over there for that buck?"

29-Aug-18
TC: if you are determined to buying a spotter and you're already looking at a Swaro 20-60x65 then I would encourage you to look at getting the 25-50x65 instead. The 25-50 eyepiece gives a wider view and seems to have better color definition to my eyes. I can't speak to the Vortex but check it out if you can because your eyes might like it.

Remember that since you're about to drop the coin on a spotter you'll also need a good quality tripod, so add $300 or so to your budget.

29-Aug-18
I use my Swaro 20-60x65 angled HD scope for sheep, caribou and a lot of looking at critters when I am not hunting, plus digiscoping with the iPhone. If you can afford it the Swaro is an excellent piece of gear.

That said, the only way I’d have it along elk hunting is in the truck or RZR. I’d take the Nikon ED50 w/13-30 eyepiece, or none. If I was hunting in timber country, I wouldn't bother with one.

29-Aug-18
260 is a small raghorn hahaha..

29-Aug-18
I bought a zeiss dialite 65 20 or so years ago. It's been one of the best investments I made. I use it for rifle target shooting, watching animals around the house, hunting, carry on vacations when hiking in wildlife rich territory, watching the breeding habits of high school and college students when out on the lake, etc. It's uses are endless. I have never regretted my purchase.

29-Aug-18
Go with the Swaro if you can, highest quality glass really helps with digiscoping which has been a lot of fun. I was even able to self film a couple solo hunts! Once you have it there are more uses as mentioned. I take it to the range to see where I hit, saves a lot of walking. If you are after mature animals it will help.

I would definitely get an attachment for your bino's to fit on your tripod as well.

29-Aug-18
I've bowhunted Mule Deer & Elk in big timber (9000-11,000 feet) 40+ times & Antelo[pe a few too. My 10x50s have always been sufficient. I have a spotting scope & use it for 900 & 600 target rounds. Unless it's on a tripod, useless in my opinion & added weight. If your sitting & glassing like for Sheep or Goats, I say no. .

29-Aug-18
Hunter 55...I say yes to a spotting scope for sheep and goats, but to each their own. Kurt

29-Aug-18
Don’t get the doubler. I had one and sold it on eBay. When you double the magnification with the same size objective lens the image gets really dim. Terrible early and late in the day for sure.

29-Aug-18
Just buy the swaro. You'll never regret it and you can always give it it one of your sons when you can't use it anymore and they can use it for their lifetime. It's a "buy once for a lifetime" purchase.

With that said I never pack it for elk but use it all the time for spotting everything from my side by side or truck.

• Sitka Gear