BULELK1 10-Sep-18
Habitat 11-Sep-18
29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
22 Hours of Driving Later (from Utah)
BULELK1's embedded Photo
22 Hours of Driving Later (from Utah)
Good Morning All,

I had a great Pre-Season/lay of the land scouting trip in Iowa last week.

I only averaged 14.8 MPG with the Jeep on this trip but I was doing like 80 when legal speed limit.

What a beautiful state ya'll have back there. Nebraska was pretty too but I just drove thru it......

Cleanest Rest Area's I have ever visited in any state.

#LovinLife

Robb

29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I tried for some Private Ground access and lucked into 147 acres with the tallest corn I have ever seen! and soybeans, bordered on the one side by SS Forest creek bottom with huge trees and brush.

29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
This being my first ever whitetail Bow Buck hunt (& a doe tag too) I was very excited to see the lay of the land.

My OnxMaps app. on my iPad was of great value for sure!

29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
The only thing that was not good for me was all the Spider webs and these Spider web nests?

29-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
During my Scouting, I crossed this huge lake dam.
BULELK1's embedded Photo
During my Scouting, I crossed this huge lake dam.
I can stay at the cabin and drive out about 20 minutes northeasterly to my hunting spot or I might have to find a new place to stay at closer to my hunt permission farm.

I gotta get off to the gym so more to follow later

Thanks for viewing

#LovinLife

Robb

29-Aug-18
November-----> Iowa-----> Corn (deer magnet) = One heck of a good time!

Best of luck Robb!

29-Aug-18
Bull, Those are Gypsy moths. They start as larvae in the bark I think, then on to caterpillars. Finally morphing into moths. The nest is the caterpillar stage. Pretty destructive to trees. Not as bad as pine beetles though.

29-Aug-18
Be sure to hit some of those small town diners down there. Some of the best food and friendliest people anywhere. I think you'll really enjoy a laid back whitetail hunt by the time November rolls around. Get comfy and sit as long as you can. Best of luck, Robb!

29-Aug-18
The webs are NOT from gypsy moth caterpillars. They are most likely fall webworms (aka bagworms). Gypsy moths do not spin tents like shown in the photo.

29-Aug-18
^^^^ This

29-Aug-18
If you have any random questions, feel free to PM. I live in Des Moines and hunt all over southern Iowa. Can’t tell what “lake” you are at but imagine Rathbun or Red Rock. I know those areas well.

29-Aug-18
Best of luck come November Robb! I always enjoy kicking back in the lounger in November after running up and down September and October! You'll have a great time!

29-Aug-18
Lake Rathbun ;-) Good fishing!

29-Aug-18
Welcome to our great state, hope you have a productive scouting trip and an even better hunt this fall!

29-Aug-18
Glad you enjoyed it, Robb! Good luck come November:)

29-Aug-18
The people are very friendly and helpful in Iowa. At least that is my experience. Have a great time!

29-Aug-18
Enjoy your trip this fall. Lake Rathburn area is awesome too.. Oh, that sign your parked by, isn't always true but 90% of the time. We got some 10% nasties. Good Luck

30-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks All---------->

I found a nice lil cabin to stay in and I just re-booked it for mid-November dates.

30-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Not as fancy as the Wyoming Cabin or the place down on the Indian reservation in Az. but very comfy and it has all I need for 10 days......

30-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

30-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

30-Aug-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

30-Aug-18
About 20-25 minute drive to my permission farm in the mornings.

To answer the PM's about a lease fee, Nope just a Veteran--the farmer, helping out a 'Nam vet...….me.

This trip wrapped up all my scouting trips for this year.

Off to Wyoming Bow Elk camp is my 1st hunt of this fall.

Thanks for viewing!

#LovinLife

Robb

30-Aug-18
The web is likely that of the forest tent caterpillar. Bag worms, at least here in NC, live in small, individual, bag-like cocoons that they cover with leaves/needles from the trees they inhabit.

30-Aug-18
Maybe common knowledge..... set one stand for NW - W wind and one for SW winds as it can blow either direction in late fall. SW seem more common the last few years.

30-Aug-18
I like the cabin Robb, would love to build one like that for myself someday! Simple, but comfortable.

31-Aug-18
They sell kits for small cabins like these Mr. B.

Kinda like a Tuff Shed, all the sides framed and stacked, ya just have to put it together.....then do the plumbing and electrical ect……

Thanks again for the input fella's

Good luck, Robb

31-Aug-18
Will be hunting just East of you during that time frame. Shaft will be at my MO farm a few weeks before.Hes at Book Cliffs this month. Good luck

31-Aug-18
AZ and Iowa. Two best managed states in the country.

31-Aug-18
"AZ and Iowa. Two best managed states in the country."

Best genetics too.

31-Aug-18
Looks like you are close to where I live. Good luck. Bucks are looking good this year!

31-Aug-18

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo

31-Aug-18
Mqqse-that’s a big sum beech and I will be moving there from Illinois in the spring of 19. Can’t wait to get my properties sold.

02-Sep-18
I did go into Mzu-- Powersville area for an invitation to hunt into my Iowa Zone 5 from a fellow bowsiters property.

Neat looking area.

Shawn has told me about your hunting down there in Mo.Kurt.

Fun times.

Good luck, Robb

02-Sep-18
Stop by if you are in the area.

03-Sep-18
Thank You!

03-Sep-18
Get'em Robb. Hope it works out with a huge buck and doe for the freezer

03-Sep-18
You are the correct one, Castle Oak.

08-Sep-18
Give me a shout when you come back to IA, I'm in the NE, but maybe we can make something work.

08-Sep-18
Good luck in November Robb! It’s fun to hunt the mtns but November white tails can be a lot of fun as well.

Great looking Jeep. I like the color.

10-Sep-18
Thanks Fella's!!

I'm off to Wyoming Bow Elk Camp @ 0430 this early AM....4 1/2 hour drive......with a sunrise to boot! haha

#LovinLife

Robb

11-Sep-18
Not purpose of thread but bag worms and web worms are 2 different things at least in mid west.bag worms are usually of cedars and have their individual bag they live in.Web worms will be inside that web but there may be hundreds in there.Good luck on your hunt.Hope for cool front

• Sitka Gear