CJE 31-Aug-18
stick n string 31-Aug-18
Franklin 31-Aug-18
PBNJ 31-Aug-18
stick n string 31-Aug-18
kentuckbowhnter 31-Aug-18
NYBOB 31-Aug-18
30-Aug-18
While shooting in the backyard last night, somehow my peep sight flew off. (never happened in 25 yrs of installing peeps?) So I thought, if this ever happened in the backcountry, I wonder if it would even shoot close? So, I fired about 3 dozen arrows from around 60 yds, and I don't think I've ever shot better groups at that range..LOL.

This got me thinking, do I even need a peep? My eyes aren't as good as they once were. I get more halo effect on my pins especailly at low light now. It's way too close to hunting season for me to start experimenting with this now. But I guarantee I will be spending alot of time trying it out in the offseason this year. Curious if anyone else has tried this?

30-Aug-18
I shot without a peep for years. Key is consistent anchor points (kisser, thumb under jaw, string across nose) and form. If you nail that everything should fall into place aim point wise.

30-Aug-18
I agree that if you can anchor consistently it probably isn't necessary. A kisser might be a better option. I always install the peep, get it where I want it and then put a few wraps around the outside of the peep to secure it.

30-Aug-18
IQ sight with Retina Lock for me. Used to use the Timberline No-Peep before it was discontinued.

30-Aug-18
I find I can just see the target better w/ my older eyes?

30-Aug-18
Still using the no peep. Works great in low light when seeing through a peep is a problem.

30-Aug-18
my friend shoots no peep, but uses a kisser button, for consistent anchor.....

30-Aug-18
I used to shoot without a peep then changed about 4 years ago. Would you shoot a rifle without a rear sight?

30-Aug-18
Well, I might. It will depend on how I shoot, as compared to with the peep.

30-Aug-18
You should ask this over on the leatherwall.....

30-Aug-18
No peep here, got rid of it years ago. I use a small kisser button to ensure consistent anchor point. Works great for me.

30-Aug-18
You will still need a lateral reference, the Olympic shooters use the string and pin stack.

30-Aug-18
I was thinking this. Is there a better side of the string to use.

30-Aug-18
I hunted from the late 1980s till 2007 without a peep. When I upgraded my bow in 2008 I had a peep installed. My kill ratio hasn't changed. I shot great w/o the peep. It isn't that hard and I'm not so sure it isn't better for hunting, especially for whitetails where most shots are close.

30-Aug-18
Never have used one, use a small kisser & dope my level. Rifle rear sight reference not quite the same! Consistent anchor is obviously the key

30-Aug-18
Yeah, I shot pretty good from what I remember back when I had my first compound without a peep, but I was shooting it with fingers so it was easier to get a consistent anchor! Figure the anchor part out and you should shoot well enough! Blurry pins were the final straw for me to pick up traditional Archery, wanted to try it anyways and we can't use verifiers here in Colorado for hunting.

30-Aug-18
Just bought a Hindsight and took the peep off and so far so good.

30-Aug-18
Never used a peep in my life. If you are hunting, why handicap yourself with a peep. Those are for targets...maybe.

31-Aug-18
I shot without a peep and liked it until a got a pse evo 7 and the string was blocking my sight pins so I had to install a peep, it made no difference in accuracy or low light shooting, I've used a no peep in the past as well, if I were to again I would use the IQ sight

31-Aug-18
The better question is... how well will you shoot out of your stand and/or in an awkward position without that reference.

A proper sized peep will NOT reduce vision. I don't care how old your eyes are.

31-Aug-18
I've never used a peep, just don't like them. If you have a good solid anchor point and practice practice practice, you should be fine.

31-Aug-18
I never used a Peepsight until last year. My dominant eye has been slowly getting worse as far as clear vision and the guy at my archery shop said it was worth a try. I tried it, I don’t know if it helped or didn’t but I just recently got contacts for the first time in my life and have noticed that in low light No the spot on the target seems to be clearer, my pins and have more of a I wouldn’t say halo effect, but kind of like fireworks? If that makes sense, the blur kind of shoots out from the center in every direction. The comment above about more of the halo with the Peepsight has me thinking about removing the Peepsight now that I seem to be having that issue with Contacts.

Ido everything as Jordan mentioned above, kisser button, string in the center of the nose, thumb where my jaw meets my neck. With all of those things I didn’t start with the peep because I thought I needed it for correct anchoring, I did it because I was told that it might help block out extra stuff for my eyes to focus on leaving me with just what I wanted to shoot at. Having said that though, I killed a buck in Maryland last year From a tree stand and a semi steep angle that when I drew back and settled in to shoot I went to my natural anchoring point but couldn’t quite see right out of my Peepsight so I readjusted knowing something was wrong and it helped me make a perfect shot. So in that case, I thought I was anchored good but something was a little off though I don’t know what it was and the Peepsight may have made the difference of a perfect shot and A bad shot that led to who knows what. I certainly would not want that to happen on an elk

31-Aug-18
For years I didn`t use a peep, I tied a small piece of string on the string and it caused a small blurry blob that I lined up with the pin. Killed most of my animals with that set up. But I shot a lot and luckily I have a consistent anchor point even if I don`t practice. I use one now that is large enough and mirrors the sight housing. I don`t shoot as much as in the past so this does help to get on track for the season.

31-Aug-18
Why make things more complicated. You don't need all that stuff to kill a whitetail at bowhunting distances like 30 yards and under...keep it simple.

31-Aug-18
PB, The buck that I killed last year was at 15 yards. And I really do believe that that Peepsight was the difference of me making perfect shot and a potential bad shot. So unless you’re against all type of anchors to keep your shooting consistent then IMHO, I don’t think your post makes a ton of sense. A Peepsight is merely another “anchor”....

31-Aug-18
tried a peep when i started bow hunting could not stand it. after the first week i got rid of it and been shooting without one since. have no problems shooting. if you get your anchor set consistent you will shoot fine.

31-Aug-18
I agree with bowriter I've been shooting peepless for 66 yrs and compete with my buddys at 3D nearly every weekend. It aids not having one in the dim hours of am &pm

• Sitka Gear