midwest 04-Oct-18
Cheesehead Mike 04-Oct-18
Big John 04-Oct-18
IdyllwildArcher 04-Oct-18
GhostBird 04-Oct-18
buzz mc 04-Oct-18
ElkNut1 04-Oct-18
30-Aug-18
Anyone hunting Elk in GMU 16 around Rabbit Ears? Heading out later than ever this year. Usually go the Thursday before Labor day and stay 8 days. Going the 12th-21st this year. Are the Elk buggling much? Are they pretty high, yet? Any luck?

Thanks

30-Aug-18
Right now they are still in some big summer herds there, with a lot of them still way down low in the hay meadows where the majority of them summer in that area. I know of one herd of over 100 with only two smallish bulls, and they are cycling around the hay bottoms. Some are bedding right down in the willows and not even coming up into the timber at all. Tons of them were pushed from NF onto the private by the massive onslaught of hunters opening weekend. The private fencelines are lined with marching hunters every day, hoping some will come back across. My friend with a ranch bordering the National Forest said by Monday his place was "filled up" with elk and his cameras were stuffed with pics of herds of cows and calves, only a few small bulls. I've only heard of some cows being shot but a couple acquaintances hunting private have passed on a couple little raghorns. Friends hunting way up high have only seen a few spikes, maybe the same ones.

Mature bulls are mostly still solitary and reclusive, hitting waterholes in the middle of the night. We only heard one bugle from Fri-Tuesday before we came home for a few days in hopes the weather would improve. It has been really warm with a full moon and unsettled wind, not good conditions. You picked a good time to come out this year. By then the huge herds should be broken up, cooler, better moon.

30-Aug-18
Not being an avid elk hunter your advice would be to stay low or go high where I usually hunt early in season. Going this weekend.

02-Sep-18
Anyone have an update from over the weekend? Still pretty warm it seems.

10-Sep-18
I’m leaving in 3 days. Can’t wait to get out there. Looks warm yet. Hoping things are firing up regardless. Anyone have any success around Rabbit Ears peak general area?

10-Sep-18
It ain’t warm. It’s effin hot! No moisture in the forecast.

Good luck

10-Sep-18
Leave tomorrow for north of Steamboat and the weather looks hot and dry next 7 days. Hoping for a little rain. Anybody here try the other processor in Steamboat can’t think of name off the top Of my head but not the one with seafood in its name.

12-Sep-18
Hitting the road at 4am Central. Anyone have last minute updates? I know a guy who took a 310-320 6x6 during Muzzleloader in the area.

12-Sep-18
Hitting the road at 4am Central. Anyone have last minute updates? I know a guy who took a 310-320 6x6 during Muzzleloader in the area.

12-Sep-18
Huntabsorakee, elk river custom meats is who you’re looking for. Go see Dan, good guy, and they did a great job on my elk this year. As is probably the case with most processors, just be as specific as possible to make sure you get back what you want.

Doug

04-Oct-18

ArcheryElk26's embedded Photo
ArcheryElk26's embedded Photo
Successful hunt!! Thanks to all for the info!

9-17-18, 7:56am, 40 yards

04-Oct-18
congrats on a great bull in a tough, high pressure, unit.

04-Oct-18
congrats!

04-Oct-18
Congrats!

04-Oct-18
Congrats! Another Wisconsin boy gets it done! :^)

04-Oct-18
Sweet

04-Oct-18
Grats! The odds were certainly against you, GJ.

04-Oct-18
Congratulations... nice bull.

04-Oct-18
Awesome!!!

04-Oct-18
Yes, indeed you did have a successful hunt, congrats!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear