Scrappy 02-Aug-20
ThunderNocked 03-Aug-20
ThunderNocked 09-Aug-20
Scrappy 09-Aug-20
BowFly 04-Sep-20
BowFly 04-Sep-20
30-Aug-18

kota-man's Link
About 7 years ago, I did a boot thread that got a ton of mileage. After trying 20 some pair of boots I finally found a mountain boot that fit my foot shape and worked for me. I bought two pair of Lowa Bighorn GTX and for the past 6 years have served me well on all kinds of mountain hunts. In August I was on a STone Sheep hunt in BC and my guide had a blowout with his boots and he was only on week 1 of his busy fall. Luckily he was my size and I left a pair of Bighorns with him. This left me with one very used, ragged pair of Bighorns at home. Now, the right thing to do would've simply been to order another pair of Bighorns since they are ALMOST perfect for me, but the gear junkee in me wanted more. So, since I've been home, I've been buying boots again! The new offerings are as follows: Crispi Thor, Crispi Nevada GTX, Lowa Mountain Experts and the "new" Lowa Tibets. My goal was to find a boot as comfortable and supportive as the the Bighorns, but lighter. As much as I like the Bighorn, my only complaints have been that they are "a lot of boot" and the rand is a bit "cheesy" for a $450 boot. Here we go again...

30-Aug-18
I love my Crispi Nevada’s The sole rubber is a little harder than most but wear longer. I just carry a pair of lightweight spring type or studded ice grippers/ crampons for snow and mud.

30-Aug-18
Since the thread 7 years ago, I've been mainly wearing three pair of boots on my mountain hunts, depending on the season and conditions: Hanwag Mountain Lite is still a favorite of mine and after 6 years these still have some miles left in them. The Lowa Cevedale has been a great boot, but the upper doesn't quite offer the support I need for a sheep or goat hunt and I'm not crazy about the narrow sole. My Lowa Bighorns have been through hell and back. They've seen tons of scree, river crossings and all of the other perils mountain hunters deal with. My only complaint is that the rand is not real durable and requires repair (freesol) after every hunt and it is "a lot of boot". My remaining pair do not have many miles left on them.

When Crispi first came on the scene, I tried them, but didn't like the toe box. After some research after the sheep hunt, I've read that quite a few guys with my foot shape are having success with Crispi. The first pair I ordered was the Crispi Thor.

Crispi Thor: This is a SUPER light boot with a fairly stiff sole. They fit my foot shape perfectly. The upper is very lightweight and almost "flimsy" feeling, but the boot provides adequate support in moderate terrain. I think it would be a perfect elk hunting boot. I'm not sure the upper will provide me with enough support for sheep or goats, but for everything else, this boot is a winner.

Crispi Nevada Legend GTX - I found my next mountain boot! The sole isn't quite as stiff as the Thor, but stiff enough for the tough stuff. The uppers are supportive and the rand is much more stoudt than the rand on the Bighorns. I've been hiking in this boot for the last three weeks and they continue to impress me. Most people say Crispi's run true to size, but I've found I need 1/2 size bigger than my Lowas to prevent my toes from brushing the ends. I'll be wearing these boots on an AK moose hunt in a couple weeks and on a Kodiak deer hunt in November.

Lowa Mountain Experts - This is one serious mountaineering boot. Too stiff for me. Reminded me of the KUIU Scarpa Grand Dru. I sent them back as they were just too stiff.

Lowa Tibets - The new Lowa Tibets are different from the version I tried a couple years ago. I thought I was going to really like these but I prefer the Lowa Bighorns and the Crispi Nevada's tenfold to these out of the box. After a couple trips around the living room, I sent them back. They are quite a bit more boot than the Nevadas and I think they are even stiffer than my Bighorns.

In summary, I've found a new brand that is working for me. The Crispis do the two things my beloved Bighorns lacked in. They are much lighter and the rand appears to be much more solid than the Bighorns. The fit is similar, but I feel like I'm wearing tennis shoes compared to the Bighorns. The Crispi's have yet to be "hunt tested" but their time is coming. I'll update after my hunt. I'll also try to throw up some pictures and specs on the boots I now currently have in the "arsenal".

30-Aug-18
Thanks for your review. I'm definitely going to give the Crispi Thor a look.

30-Aug-18
remember Imelda Marcos' shoe closet?

Thanks for the reviews Cory!

30-Aug-18

kota-man's embedded Photo
Mountain Lites
Mountain Lites
Han Wag Mountain Lite Specs: 3.3 lbs., uninsulated, 8” high. These have put on some tough miles and are still in great shape. Rand is perfect.

30-Aug-18

Cevedales
Cevedales
Lowa Cevedale Specs: 3.52 lbs., uninsulated 8” tall. These have also put on some tough miles and are in great shape.

30-Aug-18
Grubby, That’s funny, my wife calls me Imelda Marcos. I have sooo many brands and types and of each brand that I like. I tell her each style has a specific use. All are Italian made.

30-Aug-18
I thought you were going to tell us you were returning them to cabelas because they didn’t live up to their lifetime guarantee!

30-Aug-18
Following... I need a GOOD pair of mountain boots. You have pics of your bighorns and crispi Nevadas?

30-Aug-18
Yes...More pics and specs coming...

30-Aug-18

Lowa Bighorns: 4.22 lbs. (plus a pound of freesole :0), 200 g insulation 8” boot. These have been through a lot but still have miles left in them. One unique feature of these is the Lowa G3 sole. The bottoms have thread woven into the sole for traction on wet surfaces and rock. It works!

30-Aug-18

Crispi Nevada GTX
Crispi Nevada GTX
Crispi Nevada Gtx: 3.8 lbs, 200 g insulation (uninsulated available) 8” boot. My new “go to” Mountain Boot.

30-Aug-18

Crispi Thor
Crispi Thor
Crispi Thor: 2.5 lbs! Uninsulated, 8” boot. These are going to be my “general purpose” boot. Elk, deer, Pronghorn etc. Great lightweight, early season option.

30-Aug-18
In the "other" category, I'm still wearing my Lowa Rangers and Caminos for work everyday in the winter. These boots wear like iron. They are a little heavy for what they are, but a great boot none the less.

Another boot I spend quite a bit of time in for winter activities is the Lowa Hunter Extreme EVO. This is a 10 inch, 200 g. insulated boot that weighs in at 4.53 lbs. It is a serious boot that I wear mainly for snow shoeing and winter hunts.

30-Aug-18

Lowa Ranger
Lowa Ranger
Lowa Ranger: 3.74 lbs. 8” boot, no insulation. This is considered a "trekking" boot, but would definitely hold up to the rigors of mountain hunting for those that want "less boot"...

30-Aug-18

Lowa Hunter Extreme EVO
Lowa Hunter Extreme EVO
Lowa Hunter Extreme EVO GTX: 4.53 lbs, 10” boot 200g insulation. I wish the rand on the Bighorn was as stoudt as it is on these. This is the boot most similar to what was originally the Lowa Sheephunter made for Schnees.

30-Aug-18
So that is what's currently in the boot stable in the shop. Doesn't seem possible that last thread was started almost 8 years ago! If you have any questions, fire away.

30-Aug-18
I believe you have more money in boots than all of my hunting stuff, with exception of bows and arrows. I do like the looks of both Crispi boots. The weight of the Thor is VERY appealing. Guess I need to get busy buying.

30-Aug-18
Dang, I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots last spring and thought they were the best, most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned ....absolutely no breakin period. Can’t imagin there could be a better boot.......Good write up.

30-Aug-18
Iv'e had the Crispi Idaho's going on 5 years and love them! I have been pretty tempted to try the Nevada's though.

30-Aug-18
Where do you see the Lowa Camino's fitting in when compared to the Rangers and Tibets? I'm a long time tibet user and have considered adding the Camino's for hunts that don't need quite as much boot.

30-Aug-18
The Camino is most similar to the Ranger. Definitely no where near Tibet territory. It's a great "light duty" boot.

30-Aug-18
Really appreciate this thread!

30-Aug-18

Lowa Camino
Lowa Camino
Forgot the Camino pics and specs: 3.41 lbs, 8” uninsulated. Listed also as a trekking boot or hunting boot for moderate terrain.

30-Aug-18
I have been looking at Crispi boots for a while now. I’m also interested in the new boots made by Lathrop and Sons. Anyone try the L&S’s yet?

30-Aug-18
I am still wearing a pair of Nike hiking boots-similar to a tennis shoe on a boot last. Had them about 10-years and still going strong. Wish I had them when I was still elk hunting. But don't wear them in the mal pais. That old volcano rock crap would cut them to shreds.

30-Aug-18
Sweet!

How do the crisp Nevadas compare to Kennetrek? They look similar.

30-Aug-18
I agree on the rand on the lowa boots. I sent them back just for that reason. I have had the crispi Nevadas for about 200 miles now. So far so good. They seem to have a little extra toe room which is perfect for my feet.

30-Aug-18
Kennetrek is about the only boot manufacturer I can’t wear. They tear my heels to shreds. The Crispi Nevada is more similar to the Hard Scrabble than the Mountain Extreme.

30-Aug-18
Cory is it true the reason bass pro ended up buying cabelas is because you rejected their offer to acquire your inventory.

30-Aug-18
Not completely ‘bou. I wanted to keep the boots and packs and they wanted it all or nothing. ;)

30-Aug-18
Crispi Thor. The Solomons were too much like a tennis shoe for me. As long as there are Crispi Nevada’s, I won’t be wearing Tibet’s anywhere anytime soon. But in the SW or Africa, I’d have no problem wearing the Thor’s.

30-Aug-18
I finally killed my beloved lowas day hiking the storm king memorial trail this summer, so in a pinch for boots and being a gritty bowmen addict this summer I bought a pair of scarpa Mont Blancs that I heard Aron mention a couple times. Holy crap they are the best decision I ever made opened up a whole new world for me I’ll never go back to anything that’s not stupid stiff!

30-Aug-18
And that’s where boots are such a subjective piece of gear. I’m not a fan of super stiff boots. I’ve tried several pair of Scarpa’s from very stiff to not so stiff and they just aren’t for my foot shape. In fact most Italian made boots don’t work for me with the exception of Crispi. Scarpa makes a great boot, they just aren’t for me. (But I do love the built in Gaitor concept of the Mont Blanc Pro’s)

31-Aug-18
Holy boot man!!! You have quite the collection... thanks for the write up...

I haven’t tried any of these but was wondering if you ever tried the zamberlans and how they may compare to what u have listed above

I do love my crispy Nevada’s too!!!

Thanks man

31-Aug-18
I also love my Crispi Nevada, Summit and the Hunter models. The summits have great support for moderate weight carry enough flex and light weight. The hunters are more of a November and later type boot. Great all winter if on the move.

31-Aug-18
Kota what type of glue are you using on the rand?

31-Aug-18
Yeah Baby!

About time for another Classic Kota Man Gear Thread!!!

Mark

31-Aug-18
Anybody besides Kenetrek make a good mountain boot with 1000 grams of insulation? They're the only ones I've ever seen, and I cant wear them either. Same issue. Heel.

31-Aug-18
Noguts, Kota references "Free Sole" used to repair the rand. My understanding is Free Sole was acquired by Aqua Seal and the product is now called Aqua Seal SR (Shoe Repair). I recently bought a tube from Cabelas but haven't used it yet. Google both names to understand application, how well it worked etc. My understanding is the product is polyurethane and requires humidity in the air to cure.

31-Aug-18
Thanks Kurt!! The other issue is I just smeared them up wit bees wax. I will probably take them on a couple hikes to wear/ blend in the wax then seal the Rand.

31-Aug-18
Yes, Kurt is correct...Previously "Freesole" now sold as "Aquaseal".

Pyrannah...I've owned one pair of Zamberlans...For about 10 minutes. Took them out of the box, tried them on and sent them back. They weren't for me.

31-Aug-18
Mark...Unfortunately this thread does little good for guys with skinny, little chicken feet! :)

31-Aug-18
Or thin wallets...lol.

31-Aug-18
Patdel, I have an old pair of Meindls that are 12” tall with 800 g of insulation. Picked them up a long time ago for cougar hunting in the snow, etc. They are warm and heavy...>6#s for size 13’s. They have a decent heel pocket for my bony heels. I never bought Kennetreks but the pair I tried on would have killed my heels. They hurt to put on and stand in much less if I’d have tried to climb a mountain with them.

Don’t know if Cabelas still sells the Meindl boot I referenced but you can check.

31-Aug-18
Kota tell us about your foot is it a wide or narrow foot?long or short foot? I am sure all of these boot reviews are subject to the fit of your foot.

31-Aug-18
Certainly foot shape is huge. I mentioned that in the first thread but haven’t talked about it here yet. Mine is a slightly wider than D (medium) forefoot with a narrower than normal heel. Size 12 works for me in most boots (all Lowas), but in Crispi I’m wearing 12.5.

01-Sep-18
Kota man, how do you like the heel pocket of the Crispi. For my foot it’s one of the best designs. Zero heel lift for me. My foot is locked in. I don’t get hot spot from this design. The summits don’t have a ton of toe room so toe nails need to be trimmed for descents in steep areas.

01-Sep-18
The heel pocket on the Crispi’s is nice. Not as perfect as the Lowa heel but close enough. I wondered about the toe box on the Summit, they may not work for me. Good thing, because I really don’t need another pair of boots! ;)

27-Nov-18
Another Crispi not mentioned is the Birksdal GTX SF (stiff flex). I tried a lot of boots on and that one fit my foot best (true to size) and stiff enough for Alaska Mountains.

27-Nov-18
I’ve gone “all in” with Crispi this year. I own the following: Nevada GTX, Thor’s, Guides, Summits, Briksdals (regular, not stiff) and Monaco’s. Pretty tough to beat the Nevadas for an “all around” boot but I find them not quite stiff enough for a mountain hunt for me. I prefer the Briksdal in the steep stuff. (The SF would even be better.). The sole on the Thor is stiffer, but the upper does not offer enough support for me. I’ll use them early season in flat country. The Guide is the same boot as the Nevada but taller. I wear the Monaco’s for work and socially.

When Lowa discontinued the Bighorn, I decided to cut bait and find a new boot that was a little less boot. Early Crispi did not fit me right, all the new stuff fits my foot shape perfect. I’m a huge fan...

27-Nov-18
I have the. Nevada’s as well, really pleases so far.

28-Nov-18
I wanted to try something new but I’ve loved my 11W Lowa Tibet’s so much that I just bought another set now that mine are shot. Got 4-5 years and hundreds of miles out of them. They flat fit me so as long as they didn’t change the fit I should be set for another 5 years. Trying the L&S Synergy footbeds in them this go around.

28-Nov-18
Crispi’s are my favorite also. The only thing they don’t make that other Italian companies do is a double boot. I like to be able to remove the inner boot liner and wear them as mentioned in the (drying in a sleeping bag) post. Instead of waking and putting on cold damp or wet boots. It’s only an issue on late season or backcountry trips.

28-Nov-18
As a kenetrek wearer I have gravitated to the Crispi’s. I always had a long break in and a loud sole even after that, but a boot that could hold up to what I do to it! Now that I’m in Crispi’s I have no break in and a sole that is tackier on rocks and quieter. Have the Nevada and the hunter and like both and there no break in. They are stiff enough, used on a sheep hunt in w the Liards of the McKenzie mountains yet still held up well. Find a boot that fits your foot and holds up to what you throw at it.

29-Nov-18
I wore Kenetrek’s too, still have 4 styles left. But once Crispi made their push into the US about 8-10 years ago and I tried a pair and I switched.

29-Nov-18
Good thread Cory, I was gone when you first posted it. I have wore the Crispi Nevada's all year and have been very impressed with them. My old Lowa's would be second, Zamberlan 3rd. I am looking to get another pair of Crispi's and was thinking of the Guide boot. But after your comments it sounds like the Briksdal might be the way to go. Are the only differences between the Briksdal and the Briksdal SF the color and the .05 in weight?

29-Nov-18
I just put my Crispi Wyoming sz 9’s on eBay. They just don’t work with my heels unfortunately. Used lowas on my elk hunt and they were great.

29-Nov-18
No John...The SF is stiffer than the regular Briksdal. I believe the SF is about the stiffest boot you can get from Crispi USA. The "Hunter" is stiffer than the Nevada and Guide as well but is a 12" boot. I really like the regular Briskdal.

01-Dec-18
I could use some advice from all you boot experts out there. I have wanted a nice pair of boots for years now and was finally able to afford a pair of Crispi Nevadas. I love the build and style of the boots but after only a couple miles hiking my forefoot pads feel like they are on fire and then my forefoot it sore for days after. I have been told it could be high arches, lack of flex that my feet need and about 10 other reasons. I put in a nicer pair of insoles after the first hike and still had the same problems.

I really want to love these boots but if they always hurt my feet like this I can't stay with them. Any ideas, options, experiences etc.???? Thanks

01-Dec-18
Call Stephen at Lathrop and Sons.

06-Feb-19
I bought the Crispi Guide GTX a few months ago. So far they’re great. Went with the taller boot because of all the water logged terrain and creek crossings I encounter. Only negative so far may be a bit too warm for early season.

06-Feb-19
While the Thor has a fairly stiff sole, the upper is not stiff at all. Almost too flimsy for me, especially side hilling. The Briksdal is probably your boot ohiohunter. I really like the taller Guide in wet terrain. I wore them on a WET Ak moose hunt this fall and a Kodiak deer hunt. They were perfect for those hunts. In the steep stuff I still prefer the Briksdal. For all around use, I like the Nevada. I’ll be trying the new Colorado’s as soon as they are available.

06-Feb-19
My are the GTX. I have not tried the SF.

07-Feb-19
I agree with all the comments about Crispi and Lowa etc. I have them and love them. I would also look into a mountaineering double boot. They are stiff, with a removable liner to dry out at night. Scarpa LaSportiva etc make several models with different weights and temperature ratings.

08-Feb-19
Most boot innovations start with mountaineering boots then are copied and built into hunting gear later. That’s why the best boots come from the mountains of Europe. Italy, Germany. I hate to say it but it’s a fact, the Europeans design better boots.

22-Feb-19
If anyone knows where I can get another pair of Lowa Bighorn Hunter G3 GTX in a size 12, give me a shout. As stated in the first post above, the pair I have is wore out and I gave my other pair to my Stone Sheep Guide. I've exhausted every lead I could find on-line and on ebay. (There are several places on-line that list them, but don't actually have them in inventory. There is one seller that lists them on ebay, but they don't have them either.)

Like I said above, I've kind of gone "all in" with Crispi the last couple years. (since Lowa discontinued my Bighorns) The Crispi's continue to impress me, however, for a couple upcoming sheep hunts this year I would just as soon wear something that is tried and proven. I currently own the Thors, Nevadas, Briksdals, Guides, Wild Rocks and Monnacos. I should be able to make the Nevadas or Briksdals work for my early sheep hunt, but would rather wear the Lowa Bighorns.

FYI: the Wild Rocks are a VERY solid late season boot. If you are looking for a boot with some insulation, the Wild Rock has 400g. I've been wearing them snowshoeing the last couple weeks and I'm impressed.

22-Feb-19
Midway says they have them.

22-Feb-19
Midway JUST got some of these from somewhere...I placed an order.

22-Feb-19
Thanks Snag...We must have been posting at the same time!

22-Feb-19
??

23-Feb-19
Since this thread seems to have the attention of experienced boot enthusiasts (addicts). I have another question about the lifetime of the overall waterproofness/breathability. Let me say that I've owned many work boots/hunting boots of the upper middle tier (lacrosse, danner x 10, salomon, keens, merrell, irish setter, cabela's) and I have one original pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (non-insulated). The Kenetrek is a whole different boot on every level, most things good, obviously. But the one thing i notice that is largely different is the Windtex membrane vs. Gore-tex. I find the Windtex to be so much more breathable and faster drying than any gore-tex boot I've worn, but I have not tried Gore-tex in a Lowa, Crispi, etc.

Secondly, I have had waterproofness fail in two manners. 1. All the sudden the boot springs a leak without an obvious visual defect or 2. the boots just become saturated despite proper maintenance and eventually you feel a wet sock. (time and miles seem to play in #2 vs a failure in materials/craftsmanship in #1. What are your experiences in these higher end boots?

And for the record. Although my Kenetreks are very good boots, the gear junkie in me will undoubted have me trying out a new brand in the future, likely Crispi, but I just can't seem to wear these mountain extremes out (i do only wear for necessary hunts)...

24-Feb-19
If the boot is Gore-Tex lined and the boot is still in good condition, then Gore-Tex will warranty them. They guarantee water proofness for the lifetime of the boot. I have returned two sets of Lowa Tibets and got new boots out of the deal.

25-Feb-19
I love my Salomon quest gtx boots. They have held up great in rocky terrain and steep mountains. Excellent ankle support and they have that stiff feel, yet they are light. My last pair went for 6 years after fall hunts, boy scout trips and every day summer use on the farm. You described them like a tennis shoe but i wouldn't say that at all about my experience with them. i am glad that you found what makes you feel good. That is something that can make or break a hunt for sure.

25-Feb-19
JohnyRingo,

Did you return your boots to Lowa or to Gore-Tex? Do you have to provide the original receipt? I have a pair of Tibets that are still in very good shape but they are no longer water proof. Thanks.

25-Feb-19
I sent them back to Gore-Tex. I did not have a receipt for the last return, but I will keep all receipts in the future. The Gore-Tex only seems to last 3-4 years in the Tibet's. But, if the boot is in good shape, Gore-Tex will send you a new pair. I have a buddy who has sent back 4 or 5 pairs of boots, not all Tibet's.

27-Feb-19
Thanks JohnyRingo.

I have two pairs of Tibets and a pair of Renegades that all leak. I believe I have the receipt for one of the pairs of Tibets. I'll have to give it a shot. Nothing wrong with having 3 new pairs of boots and I don't really wear the Tibets anymore anyway because they leak so I might as well send them in...

08-Mar-19
Kota....does Crispi make the Guide boots in a non insulated version. The Nevada GTX are available in non insulated, but I think I’d like something a bit taller.

08-Mar-19
If anybody is looking for a size 10 Lowa Camino GTX I have a new pair still in the box I will let go for cheap.

08-Mar-19
Yes, the Guide comes uninsulated...

08-Mar-19
Thanks Cory

30-Apr-19
Kota-man... did you get a chance to try out the Crispi Colorado boots yet ? They look real interesting.

30-Apr-19
On Kota's recommendation I took a look at Crispis. Since I don't have any extreme terrain hunts planned, I bought a pair of the Monacos. I've been wearing them daily for a few months now. Currently putting them through a lot of wet grass on turkey hunts.

I love them. They took a little getting used to the feel, as they're higher than a tennis shoe, but lower than any other boot I've ever worn. I think they'll work great in the elk mountains this fall. Stuff is always discontinued after I find it and like it, so I might pick up another pair soon

I wanted a boot that felt like a tennis shoe, but wore like a boot. Hope I've found it. We'll see how they hold up to a decent amount of wear

30-Apr-19
I'm still waiting for my size to hit somewhere in the Colorados. I did try them on in Reno at the Sheep Show. IMO they feel like a great lightweight, stiff enough boot for early season sheep/goat hunts. I'm going to give them a try when I can find my size.

Bake...I wear the Monacos everyday for work in the winter. I agree...Great minor duty boots.

I'm liking the Crispi Thors more and more everytime I wear them. I'm going to wear them next week on a Spot and Stalk Black Bear hunt in BC. I have two sheep hunts this fall. The early season hunt I will wear either the Colorados or Nevadas. The October hunt I'll wear either my Lowa EVO's, Lowa Bighorns, Crispi Guides or Crispi Wild Rocks.

13-May-19
I love my Salomon quest gtx boots. They have held up great in rocky terrain and steep mountains. Excellent ankle support and they have that stiff feel, yet they are light. My last pair went for 6 years after fall hunts, boy scout trips and every day summer use on the farm. You described them like a tennis shoe but i wouldn't say that at all about my experience with them. i am glad that you found what makes you feel good. That is something that can make or break a hunt for sure.

14-May-19
Shaft...That’s the same post you made in February! ;). If you were waiting my reply, here you go: The Quest has a fairly soft rubber sole and are very flexible. Thus the “tennis shoe” remarks. For guys that don’t want/need a stiff boot, they’re great but I can’t wear them in the rough stuff. I stick with my original comments..The Quest is a hiking boot on steroids. Awesome if they work for you. Boots are very subjective. Gotta try several and go with what works.

14-May-19
I haven't found "that boot" since my Montrails that I bought, what, twenty-some-odd years ago? Unfortunately they were bought out and the quality went down.

I've tried most brands and haven't been happy for long with anything and have been so surprised at how quickly some top brand boots like Asolos fell apart.

Disenfranchised by Lowa Renegades - so many people play them up, but one of mine leaked horribly (could literally feel water pouring in stepping in a 2 inch stream) the first time I got it wet and I treated it when it was brand new and is not that comfortable/stable for how heavy they are.

I do like my Lowa Innox boots, but they're a trail shoe only for me - no good for weight or side hilling.

Crispis, Salomons, I've been unhappy with the fit - don't even get me going with Kenetreks.

I have a narrow foot and I need a narrow boot. I just ordered a pair of La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX. I'm hopeful that this will finally be my mountain boot.

14-May-19
Ike...Have you tried any Scarpas?

14-May-19
Yup. I tried the ones on at the P&Y convention at the Kuiu display. Too wide. My feet are like hockey skates.

14-May-19
You got “chicken feet” like Watkins...Touch Base with Mark. He got some super narrow Kenetreks.

05-Jun-19
Bear hunt was great. Typical Southern BC terrain. Fairly mountainous, timbered country. Thor’s performed fantastic. Great early season boot. For me they are perfect for everything but the steep stuff. My guide commented on my Thors. He is going to order a pair.

05-Jun-19
I'd also like to know more on the Thor and at 1.25 Lbs to boot. :) Same here for DIY pack-in elk hunting at 10k+... I need a wide toe box.. Thanks Ed

05-Jun-19
My lowa renegades have leaked since day one. Took your advice and picked up the crispi thors and they are by far my favorite go to boot.

05-Jun-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I have no idea how long I've had these , I think $30 cost. I know I had them when I moved into this house 22 years ago. They have humped more hills chasing Elk & Mule Deer than I care to think about. Antelope, Whitetail & hogs + so much more. For some reason, I do not wear out any foot wear including tennis shoes. Granted, good footwear is a must, just a comment about mine.

05-Jun-19
To me, the Thor is the ULTIMATE Elk boot. Yes, I am referring to sheep and goat country as "the steep stuff". Some guys can wear a lightweight boot like this in Sheep country. I can not.

Ed...I have a fairly wide forefoot and narrower than average heel and most Crispis fit me perfect.

05-Jun-19

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I've only been on one extreme terrain hunt, and I live in the Midwest, so I don't claim expert status. . . . . But in Russia I thought often about these boot threads. . . .

Yep, these are my guides, and myself, in rubber hip boots. I only wore them for a day, as my boots were still wet that day, but they weren't too bad :) :) A little sloppy maybe :)

05-Jun-19
FYI.......I just bought a pair of Crispi Guide GTX boots at Scheels in Sioux City today. They are on sale right now. Normally around $450, they were $100 cheaper today.

05-Jun-19
Love my boots! :)

06-Jun-19
Great thread!

11-Jun-19

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
Man I love the boot threads !!! I’m not in you guys’ league who hunt the mountains.... I’m a midwestern flatlander...... but my wife says I have a boot fettish...... I’m sitting here reading this and giving my 5 year old Danner Rainforest’s a bath and a coat of polish and Montana Pitch Blend.

28-Jun-19
I have been reading through the thread and have got some great info. I am heading out for my first New Mexico elk hunt and am going to need some boots. None of the ones I have considered have retailers near me, and I see many people order them and then return them if they don't fit. Can I ask where most of you order your boots from online, and who has good return policies if you try them on in house and want to return them? Thank you.

Eric

28-Jun-19
I ordered a pair of Crispi Thor’s from Blackovis a few days ago have not had a chance to wear yet, but tried them on and first impressions are good with the boots and company. Good luck with your boots and hunt.

28-Jun-19
I have used my Crispi Idaho boots for 5 seasons now. Absolutely my favorite boot of all time. Adding another pair of Crispi's to the arsenal this year, just have to decide on which one........

28-Jun-19
Big Bear: i'm a flatlander as well. Looking forward to putting my 10" Zamberlan 980 Outfitter's to the test along with my Midwestern Lungs. Boots have been great in the hills of the Midwest but we'll find out how well they do in the mountains of Colorado.

28-Jun-19
I just scored a pair of those Crispi Idaho’s to try on Rokslide Classifieds.

Jason...I pretty much have tried all the Crispis, let me know if you have any questions.

Eric...For Crispis, The US retailers are somewhat limited. I’ve bought from Midway, Elk 101 and Black Ovis. As far as "brick and mortar" store goes, Scheels carries some of the Crispis. I think all would treat you right on a return. I've bought a lot of my Lowas and Hanwags from Lathrop and Sons and they always treated me right.

28-Jun-19
Since this thread is "still getting some mileage", I thought I'd give it a one year update. Here's what's currently on the "boot rack" at my house:

*Lowa Bighorn - Still my go to boot in the "steep stuff". These, however are getting hard to find. I picked up another pair at Midway USA as they got a size run in but finding them new now is a challenge. Too bad, because they are one of my favorite boots.

*Crispi Nevada 200 gram - I like these a lot. I've used them in Alaska and Canada and plan on using them on a sheep hunt in the Yukon this fall. This is about as versatile a boot as you will find. Not too stiff for the flat land, but stiff enough for the mountains. Fairly breathable and lightweight. A GREAT all around boot.

*Crispi Thor - My new favorite lightweight boot. The upper is a little "flimsy" for me to use on a sheep/goat hunt, but for everything else, they are MONEY, especially for the early season. Great boot...

*Crispi Guide - Similar to the Nevada but in a taller boot. (10") I've wore this boot on a couple moose hunts and a Kodiak deer hunt. I like a taller boot in a wet environment and this one fits the bill. Very comfortable, versatile boot in a "tall".

*Crispi Wild Rock - These are my "late season" boots. With 400 g. of insulation and 10" height they have become my "go to" for snow shoeing. I also plan on using these on a late season Bighorn hunt in Alberta.

*Crispi Birksdal - Currently on loan to Zack and I have a feeling I'll never see them again..This is a narrower boot and one of Crispi's stiffest. Great for sheep/goats and for anyone that wants something a little stiffer. They still aren't "scarpa stiff", but plenty stiff for anything I would do.

*Crispi Idahos - On their way.

*Crisp Colorados - On the "radar". I tried these on at the Sheep Show and they remind me of one of my more favorite boots in the Hanwag Mountain Lites. These would be a great early season mountain boot.

*Crispi Monaco - Still wearing these everyday for work. Great "light duty" boot that you can wear in the hills, at work or casual.

There you have it. I think I'm good on boots for this fall. ;)

28-Jun-19
Crispi should make a special addition Croc for around camp. With the amount of sales you've generated for them they can name it the Kota-Croc. You may want to consider licensing a "Kota Approved" label to outdoor companies.

And yes, I bought the Crispi Guide GTX because you said so. Awesome northern BC mountain boots. Other clothes to.

28-Jun-19
I put my Crispi Colorado's to work last week.. very nice boot.. comfortable, supportive and light. Going to be a perfect archery elk boot

28-Jun-19
Any thoughts to share on the Crispi Summit GTX?

Scott

28-Jun-19
I had a pair of Summits for a short period of time. Nice, light duty boot. Not a real stiff sole, similar upper to the Colorado. With liking the Thor’s so well, I had a hard time seeing where these “fit” for me. Seemed nice though.

30-Jun-19
Are you guys using the stock insoles or upgrading?

30-Jun-19

trkyslr's embedded Photo
If these last two years and feel the way they do now (80+miles so far) I will give them an A+ but time will tell.
trkyslr's embedded Photo
If these last two years and feel the way they do now (80+miles so far) I will give them an A+ but time will tell.
Crispi Colorado’s so far have been awesome!

01-Jul-19
Wish I could find my size in those Chris! They look great..l

01-Jul-19

Tobpitbull 's embedded Photo
Tobpitbull 's embedded Photo
Russel grand slam sheep hunter boots... 8 years old? Still look new.... perhaps the best boot ever made but...$$$$

03-Jul-19
9 different Mtn boots in your rotation now Kota???!!!

Man, I think you have more $$$ invested in boots than some guys have in their entire Elk Hunt! ;-)

03-Jul-19
Really "just" 6 pair for hunting for now... ;)

03-Jul-19
Oh, OK. So only equivalent to a "DIY" Elk Hunt now! ;-)

04-Jul-19

Boot Rack
Boot Rack
Here they are all greased up and ready for fall! ;)

04-Jul-19
We were talking “Mountain Boots” Scoot...(there’s 18 in the pic) ;)

05-Jul-19
Thanks for the reviews, this really helps a lot.

12-Jul-19
I appreciate this thread so much. I have learned a lot for sure. I ordered and just received a pair of Crispi Thor boots. I had a question. This is my first pair of serious hiking boots, I have never needed anything like this, hunting whitetails in treestands. I noticed that the soles are stiff, much stiffer than I have experienced. Is this standard for this type of boot? I read they are usually less fIexible than normal footwear due to the need for support with loads and such. I am sending them back for a slightly larger size, as my toes hit the front when going downhill, but overall I like the fit, just thought they were stiff.

13-Jul-19
spinedoc...I don’t think the Thor’s are real stiff. In fact, like I’ve said above, they aren’t stiff enough for me for a sheep or goat hunt. They are however one of my favorite all around, all purpose boots. A perfect elk boot IMO. I’m used to wearing stiff boots for everything, so the Thor’s feel like tennis shoes to me!

13-Jul-19
The Thor's have a somewhat stiffer sole than most light hikers, but that is all they are - a light hiker. The sole (and especially the upper) is flexible in comparison to mountaineering boots.

13-Jul-19
The things about boots (all things being equal) is the fit, for the most part can't be duplicated. Our feet are kind of like our finger prints - no two the same.

Ike - I also have a narrow foot and had the same experience with a pair of Montrails (loved them), and ironically, also hated the Lowa Renegades. I've found that Vasque boots fit really well, the Vasque "Breeze" in particular, is great for warm weather - give 'em a try on!

30-Oct-19
Great thread! Thanks, Cory.

Always liked the Lowa renegades but they last about 3 months, tops and they are destroyed. They feel like a running shoe and unfortunately repel water like one as well. Just ordered a pair of Crispi crossovers and will see how I like the for the day to day wear, and will give the Thors a whirl for possibly an elk boot for next year.

30-Oct-19
Good question. Looking forward to Corys input. I'm leaning toward the Thors because of the weight and they appear to be more flexible, but I can be swayed.

30-Oct-19
I should update this as I've used the Colorados quite a bit this fall as well. Finally found them in my size! I was also able to try a pair of the Highland Pro's.

The Nevadas to me are "more boot" than the Thor. Even though the Thor is listed as being "stiffer". For me the Thors are like a really stiff tennis shoe. The upper actually does not offer much support and is thin, almost flimsy but is flexible. The Nevada on the other hand is a more stoudt mountain boot. With that said, I have a hard time side hilling in either of these boots. So they get left at home on most mountain hunts. Locally, though, these (along with the Colorados) are my "go to" boots for most general hunting. If you are looking at the Nevadas and Thors, you'll definitely want to add the Colorados to the list. Of the three, the Colorados are the most versatile AND they do much better side hilling for me. I'd have no problem wearing the Colorados on an early season sheep hunt. I really like all three of these boots though.

These are definitely my three favorite Crispi offerings. Sounds like Crispi is going to "tweak" several of their models in 2020 and add some new stuff in 2021. Most intriguing to me is an 800 g. boot for late season.

On another note, I also tried Crispi's new boot with the attached Gaiter. (Highland Pro) While I loved the concept, this boot is built on a European last and is SUPER narrow. I basically took them out of the box, put it on my foot, took it off my foot and sent them back. If you can get this boot to fit, it would be a great moose hunting boot or a great boot for Kodiak.

My serious mountain boot still remains. The Lowa Bighorn fits me like they were made for me and after two sheep hunts this fall, my feet stayed happy. Problem is Lowa no longer makes this boot. Luckily I found a pair on a late run Midway USA did on these, so they should last me awhile. (I'm on my 3rd pair)

And an update on my Crispi Briksdals...as I suspected after loaning them to the California Kid, I never saw them again. He did however buy me drinks and a steak in Whitehorse.

01-Apr-20
Just ordered a pair of briksdals off of camofire and pulled this thread back up to look at the feedback on them. Thanks for all the free info on here Kota-man.

01-Apr-20
My $.02 addition to previous year's posts... I used the La Sportivas I mentioned above on my August sheep hunt and was very happy with them. Again, I'm the guy that's 6 feet tall and weigh 152 lbs coming off of a sheep hunt - skinny ankles, skinny and narrow feet. I have a really hard time finding a boot for the mountains, but I've found mine.

I still had to tighten them very tight and scrunch them down as far as they'd go around my ankles, but there was no slippage side hilling, ascending, or descending.

They're also relatively light weight for how stiff and tough of a boot they are and that's key when you're doing 4-5+ thousand feet of elevation gain and loss in a day. They're an artificial boot that has a sort of poly armor build around most of the boot.

With gators, I had no issue with my feet getting wet.

01-Apr-20
Are you the chicken feet guy IdyllwildArcher.

01-Apr-20
I’m no hobbit, that’s for sure.

01-Apr-20
Just ordered the Trango Cubes last week, Idyll. Hoping I like them as much as you.

Worn the Asolo Aconcagua the last 3 seasons and pretty happy with them. They've held up great and I love how stiff and solid they are but they are HEAVY. Hoping the Cubes will be as stiff or close but much lighter.

01-Apr-20
I just ordered 3 pairs of Crispi’s today to try. Colorado’s, Thor and Summits. I have a pair of Nevadas but I am looking at something to replace my Quest 4D’s. I like the review on the Thor’s.

01-Apr-20
Native...Report your findings. I think if you liked the 4D’s, you’ll love the Thor’s. I really like the Nevada’s, Colorado’s and Thor’s.

01-Apr-20
Will do, Cory! Those 4D’s fit like a glove but the durability just has not been there (then again, they are a $200 boot). For me they are just comfortable. Appreciate the info you provided here, been very helpful.

01-Apr-20
+1 for La Sportiva- when they discontinued their Pamir Model, I found the Scarpa Kinesis Pro that is my favorite now. Got two pairs two years ago and they are going strong. Tried several

02-Apr-20
So I received all 3 pairs today (Colorado’s, Summits and Thor).

Initial impressions out of the box: Colorado is the best looking and best construction in my opinion. Not that looks matter, but it’s an appealing looking boot.

After I tried all 3 on, they all fit well. However, I reminded myself of what I wanted. A lighter weight boot with a sole that has somewhat of an easier flex to it, not as stiff. The Thor and Colorado rate the same I believe on stiffness. For most hunts I do, that has worked well for me which is why I like the Quest 4D’s so much. At the end of the day, that boot does not fatigue my foot.

I liked the fit of the Thor but did not like the stiffer sole and the outer wing of the tongue was really thick which I didn’t care for at all.

The Summit’s just seemed to be the best fit and comfort for me. I don’t expect them to be as durable as the Colorado in the long haul (time will tell) but I got a lot of miles out of the 4D’s and the Summit’s are no doubt a better built boot.

03-Apr-20
I love the Nevadas

08-Apr-20
Interesting take Native. I think the Summits will fit your needs perfectly fine. What I'm most surprised by is your thought on the Thors. I know they are rated the same as the Colorados, but IMO, the Thor is not stiff at all, nor anywhere as stiff as the Colorado. No comparison when I side hill in the two boots. The Thor is almost like a tennis shoe for me. Maybe it is the soft, flexible upper that gives that perception, but when I'm wearing the Thors they feel like high tops on steroids.

I totally agree with you on the Colorado. Easily turning into my favorite Crispi boot. (and I LOVE the Nevadas) Will be anxious to see what Crispi comes with next year. Supposedly will be a whole new line. I love the changes they made to the Wyoming this year. Makes that boot much more appealing to the eye. I would love to try a pair, but really don't NEED to try a pair. :)

09-Apr-20

BowFly's embedded Photo
BowFly's embedded Photo
Here's what I can do to a pair of Lowa renegades in a 3 month period of time. I used to love these boots as they were the most comfortable boot I've ever found. Until I tried Crispi crossovers. I've now had a pair of crossovers since November and wore them for my mountain lion hunt with a pair of gaitors, whitetail hunting this last winter, and as an every day work boot and hiking boot. They required a couple weeks to break in but are still in great shape and every bit as waterproof as the day I bought them. Here in northern Alabama we have a shit-ton of limestone that will will shred most boots but the crispi's are hanging tough. These will make for excellent September elk hunting boots and serve me well even with a heavy pack.

10-Apr-20
Kota-man, after seeing your boot rack pic, either you're planning to open up a boot store or Imelda Marcos has nothing on you. That's several thousand dollars worth of footgear. Good info though.

10-Apr-20
I tried the Thors. Loved everything about them other than the narrow sole, and I have a narrow foot. The Thor would give me side knee fatigue, felt like hiking on ice skates. I went with the Summits because of the wider sole. Love them.

27-May-20
I have yet to find a boot that I can hike all day in MT in a wet rain or wet snow and keep my feet dry, the search continues.....

27-May-20
Love my Nevada’s and my summits. Crispis fit my feet perfectly.

02-Aug-20
Kota, so I'm looking for some updates here. I have had for the last year a pair of Danner Pronghorn 800Gs but I have an October Dall's Sheep Hunt. I was looking at picking up a pair of Crispi Briksdals for this hunt. Are these still a second choice to your Bighorns? I've never had a pair of boots this expensive and would like to try these but a little nervous as I'm already 'over budget'. Thanks.

02-Aug-20
The Briksdals are a great option. To me they are still the best Crispi option in the “tough stuff”. For a lighter weight, early season option, I’m still really liking the Colorados. However, I’m still limping along on my Lowa Bighorns for sheep in rough terrain. If I had to buy a new pair today specifically for sheep/goats it would probably be Briksdals.

02-Aug-20
I went with the Crispi Thor’s this year based upon this thread and trying several different models on. They are perfect for me. I would like a little stiffer sole under weight but I’m only packing so often and hunting a lot more. I’ll live with it for the comfort the rest of the time. They’re great.

02-Aug-20
You just missed out on camofire, the briksdals were 36% off. I'm breaking in a pair now on my training hikes. So far so good. They are gonna be backup to my Nevada's this fall.

03-Aug-20
Scrappy, I didn’t see them in my size. But I’ll have too keep an eye out. Thanks all!

09-Aug-20
Briksdals have arrived Friday. Been wearing them for 2 days indoors and am taking them to the gym tomorrow since I can’t wear them outside. Feel good so far, weird little amount of pressure next to the ball of my right foot in the center. Testing them on a 15 incline and stair stepper. Thanks for the Reviews All!

09-Aug-20
I had a little pressure in the same spot on my left foot. Either it went away I my foot got used to.

04-Sep-20
Ohiohunter, I find the the ankle support to be adequate but I don't think it's the kind you'd want if you were carrying a 60-70# pack any distance. I wear them to carry 70-90# limestone flat rocks up the bluff behind my house in my pack and their fine for short distances at that weight,but I wouldn't risk it on a sheep or goat hunt. I still think these are the perfect boot if you're September hunting out of a base camp or packing in for maybe a 3-4 day hunt in elk country.

04-Sep-20
Im going to try another Idaho lion this winter and will be trying a different boot this go round. The crossovers were surprisingly good with a pair of gaitors last year but I fell down a lot packing my lion out of some pretty steep snowy terrain. Looking at the Nevada's or the Briksdal's. Just can't make up my mind. :>)

• Sitka Gear