drycreek 02-Sep-18
DMTJAGER 03-Sep-18
Tonybear61 03-Sep-18
Shawn 03-Sep-18
31-Aug-18

wild1's Link
Prayers for a speedy recovery!

31-Aug-18
I would of took my chances with the fall. The big part of this story is a 70 year old man going hunting by himself yet no one knows where he is at or when he should be back. The poor guy hung there for 2 days.

31-Aug-18
My thoughts exactly Franklin.

02-Sep-18
That is absolutely CRAZY!!!!!!! I am amazed he lived for 2 days hanging upside down!

Sure hope he recovers!

02-Sep-18
I'm at a loss to understand how he hung upside down if he was hooked up properly with a harness. Hopefully he recovers.

03-Sep-18
^^^^^^^^^^^ This. My thought exactly. If he was using a full body harness of recent design and tied off properly no way should he have ended up hanging up side down.

03-Sep-18
Depends on the stand harness combo. Climbing stand??? Legs caught?? "Voelker lost consciousness and his heart stopped beating because blood flow that had been cut off to his lower body was suddenly restored.." Sounds like the rescue crew knew little about suspension trauma or had no choice in order to get him down for other reasons. Suspended people (tree stand, construction accident or parachute) often die due to this issue. That is why anyone hunting out of a tree stand needs to have a self-rescue plan, no not 911. Suspension trauma is what will likely kill you even if the harness works. That is why many harnesses have extra loops for pumping the legs, also in a lot of the info out there folks are told to keep an extra tree step or two in the pocket to get back onto your feet. Air force did some serious studies on the issue a few years ago, a good read.

70 yrs old shouldn't be alone either , hope the best for him and those who care about him.

03-Sep-18
70 shouldn't be alone is a crock!! I know guys into their 80's that climb trees and hang stands but they let folks know where they are. Always carry an xtra length of rope for self rescue. A knife within reach can help also as you maybe able to cut one of the straps to help relieve pressure. Hope all is well!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear