Franklin 31-Aug-18
Aubs8 01-Sep-18
Bob H in NH 01-Sep-18
caribou77 01-Sep-18
Holdout4Nice1 01-Sep-18
KHNC 05-Sep-18
ki-ke 05-Sep-18
31-Aug-18
I've been elk hunting since the early 90's. Much has changed since then, no doubt! When I was lucky enough to kill an elk back then, I packed my frozen meat into coolers, duct taped garden hose sections onto the antler points, covered the skull cap and checked into my flight! I could check 2 bags, NC. Antlers were considered excess baggage. In a couple cases, oversize..YEAH! Coolers up to 70lbs., no problem. I don't remember ever paying more than $100 to get all my stuff home. Even a 3 week Alaska expedition, there and back with all kinds of goodies, was cheap by comparison in the 90's. Thats it for my old fart rant about the good old days...

My upcoming Wyoming trip looks like this with United: Antlers: oversize @ $200, PLUS! a service fee reserved just for antlers of $150. So yes, $350, just for the antlers.

Coolers: Over 50lbs., up to 70, overweight @100 each. So 2 coolers @ $200, plus $35 each for excess bags= $270.

I plan on shipping my gear home through UPS, which will be another $100 or so.

So, total shipping costs to get an elk from Denver to Newark NJ will be approx. $720. The RT flight was $459! LoL

I checked into FedEx next day....$7-9/lb.! 140 lbs of meat would cost between $980 and $1260! A friend in the aviation industry can get me a 40% discount, still more than bringing it on the airplane...

Leaving/donating the meat is not an option for me. I'll leave the antlers before I do that.

Renting a vehicle and driving one way, after adding fuel, isn't any cheaper and comes with the added logistic of keeping the meat cold for the trip.

Driving both ways isn't a great option, as I seem to have driving induced narcolepsy and don't do drugs, so I may not even arrive in Wyoming, never mind find an elk to ride home with me...I also don't believe my partner would appreciate my 46 minute driving shifts, punctuated by the rhythm of rumble strips and flying gravel as I drift through the shoulder, my eyes mere slits to my semi comatose reception center...

So it looks like I'll suck it up again and bend over for the airlines, unless one of you brilliant, logistical superstars have discovered a more economical way to get this done.

I look forward to your responses as I fill out an application for a part time job to pay the ancillary costs for my trip.....

31-Aug-18
One small correction if you are overweight and wxcess.baggage you get both fees.

One thing wife and I did. We flew home first class. First 2 bags are free, and can weigh 70 lbs. Then load bags 3 and more at 50 lbs

For us it it was slightly cheaper and we got bigger seats, food and drinks KS for free

All depends on the upgrade cost

31-Aug-18
Bob, I am just a bit overweight! I' working hard on the last 15, but the weekend IPA's call to me.....lol!

That may be a great idea! Upgrade to 1st class is about $500 extra. Good deal if I kill an elk, expensive to have a big seat for 4 hours. We're flying early and hitting the road quick so drinking won't be happening...

Good suggestion! Thanks!

31-Aug-18
Check how much to upgrade just the way home That's what we did.

31-Aug-18
Driving is really the best way. I drive from Vermont to Colorado twice a year. It’s not a bad drive and everything is in your control.

31-Aug-18
I usually drive out west for all hunts so I haven`t flown recently from there....but I believe there are certain airlines that are a little more "hunter friendly" than United. With any heavy load we always schedule truck shipment....the problem is the logistics if you are not there.

01-Sep-18
I haven't been able to find any better options to get meat back here to NY. I did find some site where persons bid to drive your freight to you (similar to eBay) but did not pursue it.

In the end, I was able to talk my outfitter into doing the Harrisburg show last winter and he drove it out from MT for free minus a $200 tip. :)

01-Sep-18
Aubs, that's how we got my wife's mulie mount home. Mounted in wy and outfitter brought it to harrisburg, her only request was to pick it up later in the show cause that's how she decorates her booth, with actual hunters kills. We picked it up sunday morning on our way home.

01-Sep-18
Agree on the flying 1st class option. Through Delta airlines first class was allowed 2 80lb bags for free. The next was 150.

01-Sep-18
You could look into Alaska Air Cargo. They have locations in Denver and Newark. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cargo/city-information

05-Sep-18
You can fly Delta. Setup a Delta shipper account. Check your coolers , up to 70lbs for 100.00 each on average. They fly back with you to your destination. YOu then go to shipping dock to pick up. Account can be created at Delta.com . You may need to call to expedite account setup. I am using this method in November for my rifle hunt in MT. I am driving to Wyoming for archery next week.

05-Sep-18
Good info. Thanks! Since I am already married to United for this trip, it looks as if I am at their mercy....

I did find a buddy that is trying to work the fedex angle through his aviation company, but in lieu of that, I will be paying Uniteds' piper this time.....

Thanks again for the great ideas!

• Sitka Gear