Tonybear61 09-Jul-20
carcus 14-Jul-20
Will 14-Jul-20
GOOD2GO 15-Jul-20
milnrick 15-Jul-20
31-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Got my free sample Deadmeat head in from G5 and took a shot in my Block. First shot wtf no open blades. Second shot one blade opened. No thanks sticking to my fixed.

31-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Second shot was in less worn spot on my target. I thought well maybe a deer would be tougher but not taking a chance. One blade opened.

31-Aug-18
I’ve shot an elk, Turkey, coyote, mouflon ram, hog, and a deer or two with the dead meat heads with zero problems.

31-Aug-18
I do not like mechanical heads but that is not a fair test. That medium is way denser and would not allow the blades to open shoot it at a milk jug full of water. Deer are not dense, even ribs and such! Shawn

31-Aug-18
Send them to me Spike. I'm looking at one screwed into the end of my arrow in an antelope blind right now.

31-Aug-18
Second shot was in less worn spot on my target. I thought well maybe a deer would be tougher but not taking a chance. One blade opened.

31-Aug-18
Ok I will try shooting it into another medium As I like how they fly. I just can’t figure out how something traveling over 250 FPS can’t pop blades open.

31-Aug-18
I shot several animals in South Africa with them this summer. They worked well for me, I would use them again. Maybe not my first choice, but a solid expandable choice in my opinion.

—jim

31-Aug-18
I haves two words for you... FIXED BLADES! I messed with mechanical for a few years and I was NEVER impressed. They either popped open when I didn't want them to or not at all. I'll pass, I can shoot just as well with fixed. and you should be able to as well.

Good Luck!

Scar.

31-Aug-18
Scar I don’t know what you do with your arrows and broadheads in the field but I have never ever seen a mbh not open when it hits an animal or open to soon in flight. The only thing negative I’ll say is some of them just aren’t made tough enough and are broken up after the shot. But the animals were still dead

31-Aug-18
Regardless, if nothing else it doesn’t inspire confidence.

31-Aug-18
I killed 2 big midwestern whitetail bucks with them last year with great results. I’ll be hunting antelope and mulies with them next week. Fly great, tough, cut big holes and leave plenty of blood on the ground.

31-Aug-18
As with anything in the industrial world....the weakest point of any creation is the moving parts or pieces. No thanks.

01-Sep-18
"I have never ever seen a mbh not open when it hits an animal or open to soon in flight."

MBHs opening during flight has been an issue for at least one very popular brand. Same company held an indoor broadhead competition at the ATA show a few years back to prove they had corrected the problem. That event backfired big time.

The second (and last) deer I shot using MBH (different brand) opened during flight and stuck between two ribs on a broadside shot. Arrow never made it into the rib cage.

01-Sep-18
Some of these examples are hilarious and lacking any detail of the setups and shots taken. The old rages did open up a ton and were a pain though. Those deadmeats are high on the list to shoot, been shooting rages for a long time and have a hard time changing.

01-Sep-18
I've always wondered how someone sees the blades opening up in flight. My eyes sure arn't that keen.

01-Sep-18
They are mechanical, should be no surprise to see occasional failures. Too bad sales pitches override experience..... and just plain common sense.

01-Sep-18
I watched many reviews that these heads did not open a full 1.5”. What have been your results on game in regards to the width?

01-Sep-18
Ok so I put a cardboard leaf bag that was folded up in 4 layers in front of my Block target. I shot it 6 times and it opened every shot. I measured the holes against a 1 1/4 Exodus head and the Meathead was a little larger. Maybe not the full 1.5 but in between 1 1/4 and 1.5 so plenty big. One out of the 6 shots 1 of the blades did not open all the way only half. All in all I’m liking it a little more as my form is somewhat suffering and my Exodus flys off at the slightest torque. I may try these out.

01-Sep-18
I've heard some good things about these heads, being a new head they may require a few years to work out the issues. A guy over on AT has been testing them and really likes them. I still have a few years of snyper heads left over that I will use up till I have to change, I wish rage would look at the snyper 2 blade and build it exactly identical, the SS is close, but I don't like the o rings, give me the rubber band up at the front, one quick look and you know its closed!. Ive killed so many huge black bears and mature whitetails over the last 12-15 years with these heads, they have never let me down!!

01-Sep-18
Fly great and open fine for me, but they’re noisy...Rattle trap!

03-Sep-18
I've said it before - - - I plan for a perfect shot. I prepared for a poor one. I use a durable, sharp, fixed BH. One made in the USA too.

03-Sep-18
Preparing for a poor shot, I'd rather have a big ol' mech through the liver or guts than I would any fixed blade.

03-Sep-18
Mechanical heads have a 100% greater chance of not opening right than a fixed blade.

Think about it.......

03-Sep-18
I look at that design and it baffles me.......

........ that anyone would even risk a hard earned opportunity on them.

03-Sep-18
"I'd rather have a big ol' mech through the liver or guts than I would any fixed blade."

What if you hit a bone?? Even just a rib bone? I had a Rage look like a wrinkled beer can after hitting a rib - going in. Not durable. Never came out. My fixed will slice the liver just fine. I have done that.

03-Sep-18
Odds are higher on a bad shot you'll hit liver or guts. If I was shooting enough poundage and arrow weight for a big mech, I would rather have a bigger hole than a smaller hole. JMO My personal experience with mechs is very limited.

03-Sep-18
As bowhunters we have a bunch of things that can go wrong in the process of taking a critter. We sure spend a lot of time on problems that have already been solved for years.

03-Sep-18
"Scar I don’t know what you do with your arrows and broadheads in the field but I have never ever seen a mbh not open when it hits an animal or open to soon in flight. The only thing negative I’ll say is some of them just aren’t made tough enough and are broken up after the shot. But the animals were still dead "

I'm sure MBH's are better than they were a few years back when I hunted on a large ranch in the Hill Country of Texas. We had many bucks brought in and, when butchered, dug numerous unopened MBH's out of them. They were not killed by these unopened heads but by a fixed BH. I have made it a point ever since to shoot fixed. Just not worth the risk when there are so many good fixed BH's out there.

03-Sep-18
This debate of fixed VS mechanical I fear will seethe on FOREVER. But the above example is why I have chosen not to use them. I KNOW with ABSOLUTE certainty after by accident having shot them multiple times into and trough tires, both walls of a tin garbage can, into a side of a steel dumpster, completely through one side and 1/2 through the other of a steel 55 gallon garbage can, a 12V car battery (don't ask) wooden and PVC privacy fences, the 1-5/8" Unistrut that serves as the top compression arm of my DIY foam target, to name a few but not all examples of my archery marksmanship, and never once did my fixed blade broad head of choice loose a single blade, brake apart or fail in any way and is as close to 100% reliable as is possible. I will GLADLY trade a 1-1/16" VS a 1.5-2" cutting diameter for a 99.99% reliability 99.99% of the time. Others will feel differently and are so entitled.

03-Sep-18
Here’s my opinion on the head. Guy on camp shot a buck with one at last light last night. I believe he is shooting a halon that is pulling 70+ and he has at least a 30” draw. Big guy. Deer dropped like a rock when he hit shoulder. 20” of penetration minimum as about 8” of arrow broke off. Deer flopped for a few seconds than ran off. 22hrs later they are trying to recover the antlers with a dog as they’ve lost all sign.

Could shot placement have been better? Sure. But isn’t that the argument for an expandable. If the boiler room is missed we are looking for max cut.

One shot doesn’t make or break a head for me but so far it’s not a winner. I’ll let you know if the deer is recovered and what it hit and how it looked.

04-Sep-18
Longbeard,

To answer the question, I hunt in tough rugged brushy country. and I am referring to Rage, both the old and the new ones. Ad the Montec Havoc, granted these were the older heads, but I won't shoot a MBH again. JMO.

04-Sep-18
Ike is spot on. The blades rattling are the only negative with this head.

04-Sep-18
Who brought popcorn?

07-Jul-20
Anyone here not understand the KISS principle?

07-Jul-20
Never liked the look of those heads, I wouldn't hunt with those if they were free, why chance it

07-Jul-20
We have zero complaints and had zero problems with the 100 gr Deadmeat.

Millie's bear (currently #1 bear taken in New Brunswick) succumbed to a Deadmeat thru the boiler room at 18 yards. Complete pass thru, and the animal was dead inside of 50 yds. All 3 blades were intact with zero nicks. Her equipment was: a Prime Centergy 26" at 50# compound and Victory arrows.

Since then several Does and a few turkeys hsve found their way into our freezer.

07-Jul-20
Looks like a T3. I'll pass. The G5 mechanicals have a history of failure. I killed an elk with a T3 and only 1 blade deployed.

07-Jul-20
I tried them one practice wise just for fun. They did not shoot well for me

07-Jul-20
somebody was bored are just looking for an argument to dig up a 2 year old thread that really contributes to nothing

07-Jul-20
LOL Carcus - you had a lot more time for the head two years ago. I've moved from the fixed to mech camp on deer and smaller sized game. Like Nick mentioned, in a marginal hit situation odds are you're looking at guts/neck more often than heavy bone. In those situations I'd rather have a big cut. Elk/Moose I'm still a fixed believer.

And if you're worried about moving parts on your setup, please for the love don't tell me you're using a compound...especially with a drop-away.

07-Jul-20
Since August 2018 I've killed a few more animals with the Deadmeat head. Still like it. Good blood trails and dead critters at the end. For deer at home my quiver is full of Deadmeat and Rage heads.

08-Jul-20
Never any uncertainty or questions about fixed blade heads. Stick with what you know works.

08-Jul-20
The heads shot great for me....the blades rattled like nobody's business. The buzz it added to your bow at the shot with a quiver full of Deadmeat tipped arrows was a no go for me.

08-Jul-20
I just reread this and find it amazing that the guys arguing “no” to MBH are the same guys, for the most part, that sing the praises of drop away rests and scoff at a WB. Lol

09-Jul-20
Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It's mechanical. Hopefully, for the guys who use them won't loose a trophy of a lifetime.

09-Jul-20
Moving parts on a brodhead are the way to go! What could go wrong?

09-Jul-20
I haven't shot expandables for years due to issues with not opening, opening too soon (yes you can see it with lighted nocks or dipped shaft, bright fletching,etc.) Lost a few deer with them and even recovered one that should have been a easy broadside but ended up being a oddball rib, gut shot since one side opened early. Looked like it hit the deer sideways. That extra tracking was totally unnecessary for the distance and shot angle. I had a few left so shot a turkey with one this spring. Bird was facing away from me {not strutting} and I thought I hit it in the middle of the back. Full penetration, bird flopped then got up, ran and then flew away. Found it a few days later 150-200 yds away. I won't be using one of these again. The fixed blades knock them down and keep them down in my opinion.

14-Jul-20
Tonybear what broadhead was that, they aren't all created equal

14-Jul-20
Spike, I thought you were shooting silver flames or something similar? Regardless, your confidence on these is dinged... they might be awesome, but no reason to not have confidence in your gear when in the tree or blind, try a new one, there are lots of good head options...

15-Jul-20
can anyone tell me if the deadmeat practice tip and the actual broad head shoot the same?

15-Jul-20
I can tell you that the broadhead and practice head fly to the same point of impact. Additionally, I've had no negative experiences with premature opening or failure to open on impact.

The way they're designed to lock and open appears to be bulletproof.

• Sitka Gear