smarba 04-Sep-18
Grasshopper 04-Sep-18
Ziek 04-Sep-18
EmbryOklahoma 04-Sep-18
Pyrannah 04-Sep-18
SJJ 04-Sep-18
APauls 04-Sep-18
01-Sep-18
OMG..... lol so as some know I’m really looking forward to my upcoming elk hunt. There could potentially be some grizz in this area and we have been advised to carry spray..

I had a can left from a previous hunt and never discharged any of it in the past.. this can stayed in my garage all year and was subject to freezing temps. The directions say it is no longer any good and it also says that you should practice with any protection device you are using....

Soooo, I bought a new can and would use the old one as practice (today).

I go outside semi near the house and discharge that sucker!! What an amazing fog cloud of absolute hell that thing diacharges...

A second or two later a slight breeze comes my direction and I get nailed with a minuscule amount.. I start coughing sneezing my throat burns a little.. I laugh at myself for the situation and being dumb...

A few minutes later my wife starts hacking as well!!! I figure ahhh shit I’m screwed... she has been cool about it for now.. may not get any good bye sex now though.. lol

Still alive for now ;)

Hahah such a dumbass

01-Sep-18
Thanks Doofle, the spray Hs been proven more effective.. but anyways, my partner is carrying a piece, I’m not as proficient with a handgun as I should be in order to carry one..

I have more confidence in that spray now than I did previously

01-Sep-18
Keep the old can around the house for home defense. A neighborhood thug won`t like it anymore than a bear.

01-Sep-18
Glad to see the mods cleared doofus off bs

01-Sep-18
Was wondering what happened there

01-Sep-18
Troll...

01-Sep-18
Yeah - I tested a can once, then put in a dip of Skoal. That was another Holy Hell moment as my lower lip burned off....

01-Sep-18
There was a funny incident at a state park some years back. There was a nuisance bear wandering around and a ranger came out to deal with it. He had a close encounter with the bear and blasted it with bear spray. Unfortunately not only did he nail the bear but the wind blew it back in his face. He dropped everything and headed for a nearby creek. He stuck his head in the creek and was trying to wash the spray off his face. He heard some splashing and moaning nearby and when he could finally open his eyes he looked over and saw the bear trying to get the spray off his face.

01-Sep-18
If a bear charges hit it with the spray as well as your hunting partner. Better than shooting him in the knee cap and running from the scene.

01-Sep-18
DL, I think I’m faster than he is, just have to trip him quick, ;)

Funny story above!!! Lol

01-Sep-18
Don't try it in your tent at night! I still carry a 454. They can bury it with me??

01-Sep-18
OK...I laughed out loud at this! So did my wife when she asked what was so funny.

Yeah...that stuff is wicked! A buddy of mine used to ride around with a county deputy friend. One winter night he pulled a guy over, and the guy got belligerent, then attacked the cop (who's a great guy, and a good officer), they were rolling around in the snow and "Terry" (the LEO) yelled to Tim, "Spray him!!!" Tim was aiming, looking for an opening anx sprayed with pepper foam...BA-LOOP! The guy ducked and he hit Terry right on the face. He was shouting, "NOT ME...THE GUY! THE GUY!" All the while rolling his face in the snow.

They both laugh about it now, but at the time...not so much!

01-Sep-18
Make sure you get upwind before you spray it! Hate to make it easy on the bear. Had to get sprayed in training with that stuff! It reactivated when i took a shower - miserable stuff!

02-Sep-18
I was riding my road bike a few years back and decided to take a can of bear spray for dogs that might give me trouble. On my ride back in, about 10 miles from the house, a big dog came after me. I sprayed him and got him a little, forgot what a fog they spray vs a stream. He returned to his house. However, in the midst of the excitement, I dropped my spray. Turned around to retrieve it and when I bent over off the bike to pick up the can I very quickly realized that the stuff stays in the air quite some time.

With lungs and eyes full of bear spray I had to try to make my way back home. Rode almost the whole way with my eyes closed. Could only open them for a fraction of a second to see where I was going. Now I use wasp spray for dogs. It shoots a good stream and does a good job of turning them.

04-Sep-18
An acquaintance of my dad's is a bush pilot with a story. The pilot and passenger were taxiing on the runway and bear spray went off inside the bush plane. They both dove out the door. Pilot told my dad it was so bad he would have done the same had he been airborne. Be really careful with it in a vehicle or airplane. Carry it in the bed or exterior storage...

04-Sep-18
You get goodbye sex? What am I doing wrong.

04-Sep-18
Anybody else see the bigger picture here? Folks carrying around a defensive weapon that they've NEVER practiced with. Or having any idea what the results of using it may (probably will) be. For instance, if you ever have to use it, and manage to deploy it in time and effectively, are YOU prepared for the blow-back? Not being surprised by that could be the difference between just standing there coughing and crying, or continuing to protect yourself. As with any weapon, or any stressful situation for that matter, practice, practice, practice is the best defense for a desirable outcome. Even with a heavy handgun, you need to have realistic expectations. Shooting a determined, charging bear with ANY handgun will still likely result in a mauling. Knowing that up front may keep you in the fight long enough to at least survive.

04-Sep-18
DL... hilarious!

04-Sep-18
ziek, that is the exact point of my thread... PRACTICE with what you are planning to use, I'm glad i did, it sucked at the time, but i am proficient with it at this point...

This is why i am not carrying a pistol, i do not have enough experience to essentially hit a floating/bouncing softball as it is coming at me 15 mph to eat me..

04-Sep-18
"no goodbye sex"...its a way of life

04-Sep-18
If I practice good-bye sex is that good enough?

• Sitka Gear