Beav 10-Oct-18
mn_archer 10-Oct-18
Treeline 10-Oct-18
t-roy 10-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 11-Oct-18
Fuzz 11-Oct-18
JRABQ 13-Oct-18
01-Sep-18
Hi all, First time posting on BOWSITE. A friend of mine told me to post my question on here. I'm a 4th year medical student and have had two strokes of luck this year, magically getting work covered in September, and...

So...I recently accepted an Archery Colorado Shiras Bull Moose tag for units 7, 8, 191 that somebody turned back in. I was planning to hunt elk in SW colorado during the exact dates for this tag so work was already covered. With only 20 hours to accept the tag, i was really pressed on this decision. I only had 4 bonus points and figured that I'd never draw the tag again, so I decided to accept the tag. I have been on the phone with the local wildlife officer and gained a decent amount of intel. I will have zero days to scout before the opener Sept 8. I am free to hunt every day of the two week long season. I am bringing two trail cams, and my treestand. I have a call horn and a decoy as well. I have an ATV. My folks will be joining and i'll be dragging the 5th wheel up top on the mountain for convenience to planned hunting proximity. .

I'm planning to focus my hunt around deadman road (CR 86) and Sand creek road (CR 336), this area is in unit 8 west of Red Feathers Lakes. Traditionally a majority of the bulls are harvested in this area. I will have limited help in packing a bull out and will not be bringing my horses up from the Durango area...thus, I will not be letting any arrows fly more than 1 mile from a 4wheeler trail or more than 400 vertical feet down a ravine. I will hunt for one week, and then if I have not harvested, I will take my wife and folks home and pursue a more aggressive means of hunting. I'm not looking to break the state record, but I'd like to shoot a mature bull. I always shoot animals that get me excited regardless of their size.

I'm hoping some local residents or others can contribute to my digital scouting! I hear elk hunters see quite a few moose in the area. Can any of you attest to this? I'm not interested in paying for private land access, but if anybody knows a landowner with moose running around their property, I'd certainly lessen their population by 1.

Thanks in advance Spencer

01-Sep-18
PM me. I'll fix you up. I live in the middle of 8

01-Sep-18
Try to reach me tonight because Im leaving mid-morning tomorrow for elk camp.

Oh, and as a max point holder who has never drawn, I hate you just a little bit! ;-)

01-Sep-18
Jaquomo, Sent you a PM. looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks

01-Sep-18
Can't help you but, damn, best of luck, man. I think you're in for a hell of a hunt!

01-Sep-18
Spencer I am the one that put you wise to the Bowsite Good Luck Trackman

01-Sep-18

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
50” off Deadman area. 45 min into opening day. There were bigger. Great unit.

01-Sep-18
Do what Lou says!

—jim

02-Sep-18
Great bull there Bullbuster. Congrats.

02-Sep-18
Get Lou a nice bottle of scotch. It will be the best money you ever spent.

And congrats. I am super jealous.

16-Sep-18

sharp stick slinger's embedded Photo
part of the moose army (my apologies to those not pictured)
part of the moose army (my apologies to those not pictured)
my folks and wife back at camp. 7 hours to get the bull out with 8 people
my folks and wife back at camp. 7 hours to get the bull out with 8 people
15 yards first shot, 8 yards second shot after he charged his "competitor"
15 yards first shot, 8 yards second shot after he charged his "competitor"
Well folks, thought I'd share an update. My once-in-a-lifetime bull moose tag turned into a once in lifetime experience. A major thank you to those of you who contributed to this thread. I had the most amazing 6 days on the mountain with my wife and my parents. We saw tons of moose. It took a load of discipline not to shoot a few of the bulls I saw early in the week. Also, I owe a major thank you to the gentlemen that were camped adjacent to us; I never would have backpacked into this canyon to kill him if these guys had not offered to help me get him out in the 80 degree heat! You better bring an army of world-class fellas if you plan to shoot one you can't get a quad/truck too. After back packing into the canyon and listening to the bull descend into the canyon for 30 minutes I slipped in to cut him off. The bull and I went round and round in the willows grunting and raking for 20 minutes before shooting light. I shot him the first minute of legal shooting hours and he died 5 yards from first arrow. An unbelievable hunt and a bull to match. Bull has 46 5/8 spread. A great thank you to all who contributed from the bottom of my heart. ---Sharp stick slinger---

16-Sep-18
Great job, Spencer! Congratulations on an outstanding bull and a fantastic hunt.

16-Sep-18
Congratulations! Lucky guy, way to make it happen

16-Sep-18
Fantastic Congratulations! Looks like a helluva moose.

17-Sep-18
Congrats on a hell of a bull, well done.

17-Sep-18
Congrats on making good use of your tag on a great bull

17-Sep-18
Congratulations! That’s a beauty of a bull.

17-Sep-18
Congrats!!

17-Sep-18
Congrats, a dream hunt for sure!

10-Oct-18
What a great bull! Congrats and thanks for sharing the story!

10-Oct-18
Awesome job!

10-Oct-18
Man, I missed this one!

Congratulations Sharp Stick Slinger on getting the tag and making good use of it!

And to repeat Jaquomo’s statement:

“Oh, and as a max point holder that has never drawn, I hate you just a little bit!:)”

Awesome!

10-Oct-18
Congrats on your bull as well as on your entire experience, Spencer!

11-Oct-18
Well done by all. my best, Paul

11-Oct-18
Awesome hunt and bull! Congrats!

13-Oct-18
Awesome bull, sounds like you had a great hunt!

• Sitka Gear