1boonr 07-Oct-18
Mike-TN 07-Oct-18
midwest 08-Oct-18
midwest 08-Oct-18
Bowboy 08-Oct-18
03-Sep-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Like clockwork, another big muley. Congrats to Randy!

03-Sep-18
The man is incredible!

03-Sep-18
Randy Ulmer is just amazing!

Every damn Season!

03-Sep-18
^^^ What They Said!^^^^^ INSANE!

03-Sep-18
And he smiles

03-Sep-18
Happy man, good for him!

03-Sep-18
I love his articles. It would be a dream to hunt the land he does.

03-Sep-18
JTV, A great many of his trophy mule deer are hung in a large local archery shop. I made a few trips there to study them before going on my mule deer hunt last year, to get an idea of what I would be looking for in a really big buck.

03-Sep-18
Holy wow...

03-Sep-18
I would smile too!! Great guy!! great buck! Shawn

03-Sep-18
Great buck! Any details behind it like where it was shot? (Utah I assume) Public or private? Regardless, it's a bute! TODDY

03-Sep-18
To know what this man knows! Amazing!

03-Sep-18
Yowza!! Another monster!! Congrats!!

03-Sep-18
Many of Randy’s bucks were from CO. No idea on the latest though. Great deer as usual and taken by a great guy.

03-Sep-18
Beautiful buck

03-Sep-18
Great buck that is for sure. I do have to laugh though as looks like he is sitting 10' behind it. Lol.

03-Sep-18
What a sack on that thing

03-Sep-18
So many guys look almost angry in a "hero" photo......no idea why unless the recovery was grueling??? Nice big smile after a great accomplishment.....and certainly one of many for him. Congrats, Randy U.

03-Sep-18
He seems like a class act and has some great articles and videos on arrow selection and bow shooting. A great ambassador for our sport (and a hunting machine).

03-Sep-18
Congrats Randy!

03-Sep-18
RJ, unless his arms are 10' long, I can't understand why you would say that. His hand is on the rack and his elbow is bent.

He is as the thread title alluded to, a killing machine. Congrats Mr. Ulmer, you did it again !

03-Sep-18
Nice buck! Does he ever shoot bucks out of velvet? I would also like to know if this was a public or private land buck.

03-Sep-18

spike78's Link
PECO, he uses this guide service. See link.

03-Sep-18
Unless something changed this year he does not Hunt with them anymore. There choice not his.

03-Sep-18
Congrats Randy!!

And your elk hunting presentation at P&Y a couple of years ago was fantastic and very much appreciated by the a whole lot of Bowhunters. Thanks for paying it forward!

Mark

03-Sep-18
Another spectacular buck! Congratulations Randy!

03-Sep-18
I am not knocking the guy. He has killed more great bucks than anyone I can think of and that one for sure is no slouch. Of course he is not 10 feet behind the deer as I can see his hand on the rack. Just in comparison looks like he could crawl up in the spread of the antlers.

03-Sep-18
I heard that Randy had some health issues not to long ago.....I hope that the smile means that they are behind him, as well.

04-Sep-18
He is the Man!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

04-Sep-18
Geeze, his knee is on the deer, he's not far from it!

He is a machine, outfitter or not, read his stories, the guy hunts

04-Sep-18
And his arm is even bent . Congrats !

04-Sep-18
I swear this is the same picture every year!

04-Sep-18
Awesome deer....bet he even killed it with an expandable....

04-Sep-18
Great deer and I like his articles and tv spots. He for sure is highly skilled. Having said that, having access to private land or living in proximity to good public land sure does not hurt.

04-Sep-18
That thing has an amazing rack! What a deer! Congrats to Mr Ulmer!

04-Sep-18
Best wishes go out here to Randy.....

04-Sep-18
Congrats Mr. Ulmer!!

04-Sep-18
He is a machine Forsure! He works hard for them too! Scouts more days than most spend out in the woods hunting

04-Sep-18
I thought most of his deer came from UT.

04-Sep-18
Ermine I hope so as he gets paid to while us joes work crappy regular jobs.

04-Sep-18
Because the joes that work crappy jobs are forced to stay there. Go follow your dream. Clearly, Randy has. He’s very good at what he does.

04-Sep-18
Anyone find details on this hunt yet?

04-Sep-18
Spike, that man has based his entire life around hunting and his archery career. "Joe's" are people that choose to not to make the same commitments or take the risks. Don't begrudge him because you're?jealous.

05-Sep-18
I’m not begrudging him I’m just stating his job revolves around hunting so naturally he’s out there scouting more then us.

05-Sep-18
Ulmer is a veterinarian. He worked hard in his chosen career and just as hard as a bowhunter. Hats off to him.

05-Sep-18
That photo is what COMMITMENT looks like.

05-Sep-18
Big Nuts

05-Sep-18
Literally not another one like him...

05-Sep-18
Plenty like him such as Mike Mitten, Chuck Adams, Wensel’s, Tom Miranda, etc. Ulmers last monster posted here was located and scouted by the guide and was kept track of by a guide the day before and the day of Ulmers hunt. He is a hell of a stalker and bow shot but to say he locates these monsters and patterns them would not be true. I’m not saying he couldn’t scout these monsters out but I’m guessing his busy schedule would prevent him from doing so.

05-Sep-18

spike78's Link
Here is the real story of his monster Muley’s told by the guide. Now before anyone bashed me Everyone bashes the movie star hunters for sitting in prime areas in a guided stand. I will say that not too many people may be able to stalk them like Randy even his guide points that out. Let the bashing begin.

05-Sep-18
Yea he has been guided on a few sure. Probably a lot a guide has found. He kills 2-3 giants a year. But from what I know when he is hunting Colorado he is doing it himself. Your article is from 2012. This buck is from 2018

He is a veterinarian and doesn’t get paid solely to hunt. Although he gets sponsored by some companies.

05-Sep-18
Another amazing buck for Randy, he is a world class hunter, stalker and shot. I would not want to be mule deer and have Randy after me.

To comment on what Spike brought up, giant animals are worth massive amounts of money. Here is a common scenario. A hunter goes and pays massive money for a governors tag. While this is going on, outfitters are either scouting to try to find a giant but a lot of the time, a random hunter, another guide or even a hiker or camper may find a Giant, take pictures of it and send those pictures to one of the regular governors tag outfitters. A price is then negotiated for what the "finder" wants for the location of the animal. The outfitter then talks to the tag holder and says they "found" a buck/bull/ram that scores X amount and if they want to go after it they will have to pay $X amount of dollars to the finer along with paying $X amount for them to guide them. Massive amounts of money are payed out in addition to the actual Governors tag. The same thing happens often but to a lesser degree with some of the giant bucks and bulls that we see taken each year.

05-Sep-18
Happy to see Mr Ulmer is healthy and doing what he does best, killing world class critters. Congrats to him.

05-Sep-18

06-Sep-18
Big fan of Randy Ulmer

07-Sep-18
Stop being a wanker Spike

07-Sep-18
Awesome buck. Does that guy age? He looks the same in that pic as he has in the last 10+ years of pics I've seen. Congrats to Randy.

28-Sep-18
Spike. Seriously. Ulmer has scouting notes and habits in Colorado that are borderline OCD. There is no other hunter like him and putting the other names you mention in the same category is cute.

This buck was his number 2 buck -- both of which he found without a guide. Not sure where you're getting your info, but probably better keep that dribble between you, yourself and the urinal.

28-Sep-18
Spike is one of those guys who thinks that a hunter should make everything as hard as possible. The guy that shoots the biggest buck while making everything as difficult as possible is the real hunter. Was it public land? I shot mine on public land right up by the road so mine is better than yours because you hiked way back in miles where nobody else hunts. I shot mine with a recurve so I’m better than you because you shot yours with a compound on private ground. I’m a better hunter because I shot mine with a compound feeding on acorns where you shot yours with a recurve heading to a foodplot. Where does it end. Nice buck again Randy.

29-Sep-18
why can't many just say nice deer, leave out the "if, ands, or buts" and move on to the next thread. no need to disclaim, minimize, or explain. he really could care less what anyone thinks about his process or situation nor should he.

29-Sep-18
JEALOUSY

29-Sep-18
WOW, Randy is the man. Congrats!

29-Sep-18
I thought the Bowsite code of conduct banned people that are negative and call others ethics and skills into question without facts. The holier than thou few drag down a good site. I don’t know him. But at least he is famous for a reason. Not for fame and fortune alone sake. From what I understand he is in another league of skill as a bowhunter. Probably due to the same reason he is a great archer. Attention to detail.

29-Sep-18
Sadly all many people are good at is tearing down others. Look at what the “leaders” of our country are doing with the Supreme Court nominee.

Randy Ulmer has worked hard at his job, building a practice to allow him money and time to do what he loves. Looks to me that he has been a good husband, father, uncle, provider, and hunter. Kudos to him and thanks for giving us something to shoot for. Awesome buck.

01-Oct-18
All other things being equal for a skilled hunter, I will say 90% of killing any world class animal is access to the animal.

01-Oct-18
These high country buck he is killing year after year are on public land FYI. So access....yea Everyone has the same access ability to them

02-Oct-18
BY everyone has access to them Ermine are you saying Mr. Ulmer kills deer like that one year after year from general units with OTC tags available to most who apply? I'm not being a SA just asking.

02-Oct-18
So if he killed this in a 1 point, Colorado unit he had a 90% advantage over everyone else? How many states have general unit, OTC mule deer tags?

02-Oct-18
Chase wild I got my info directly from the guide in my link above. He is a fantastic hunter, shot, stalker no question I was just pointing out to the above poster who said he scouts his balls off that that was not the case for his guided hunts. If someone has the story to post for this new buck I’d love to read it.

02-Oct-18
Its a matter of priorities. If you want a deer like that enough, you will find a way to make it happen. No matter how you do it legally, it takes effort and commitment. Get educated, land a good career, and go earn the money to be able to get 'there' year after year. If you expect a hand a handout, then you are just like any other snowflake. Kudos to him for his success. I think he had to earn it one way or another. How do you think Tom Brady got 5 SB rings? Commitment to a goal. A real lofty one.

02-Oct-18
T=kayak I think you are missing my point. I openly admit Mr. Ulmer is in the top, no exaggeration 0.0001% of bow hunters (which I am not and will never be) and has unquestionably earned his reputation and success. My question agin is access to animals like he kills every year, is it available to hunters of average means such as myself?, that's all nothing more. It is not an insult or attack on Mr Ulmer's or his abilities. Again all I will say is you can put Tom Brady behind the Chicago Bears offensive line for the length of his career and I seriously doubt he would have one SB ring let alone 5. Same with Mr. Ulmer world class animals have to be there then you have to find them and then kill them. I need not tell anyone that being being a great hunter of game is just as important as being a great finder of game, and you can not find what is not there, or is there in very, very low numbers add in large no#s of tags like in a general unit and its a whole different statistical endeavor vs limited entry units.

02-Oct-18
Ulmer's bucks have come guided, unguided, public land, private land, and multiple levels of difficult/easy to draw tags.

The only thing consistent about his hunts is that he consistently gets it done on huge Muley bucks, year-in year-out.

There are certainly big-money hunters out there where one could question the "difficulty" of their hunts in time spent in relation to the size of their trophies because of the access they've procured (even though that's often times a petty thing to do). Randy Ulmer is not one of those guys.

You don't have the kind of consistent success he's had without incredible drive, effort, and skill.

02-Oct-18
Yeah, maybe I am, but knowing these types of top achievers, they help to form and mold who and what is around them so I would not be surprised if Mr. Brady had influence on any O-line (coupled with B. Belichick as the HC), to come up with something extraordinary, (even the Bills). Likewise, I'd guess Mr. Ulmer has the kind of pull and influence on guys that would result in a higher than average effort to find huge bucks no matter the access situation, or else have the knowledge to seek out such game area potential and then find a way into it. These kinds of guys get things done. I would bet too, that you could put this guy in any national forest or BLM land and he'd find a bigger than average buck or bull and kill it. Highly motivated (maybe read 'obsessed') people tend to get 'r done... :) JMO.

02-Oct-18
Absolutely beautiful buck! Congrats to Mr. Ulmer! Wish some of the comments weren't so negative. Whether he found that deer or someone else found it, he still closed the deal. That's what makes him one of the most accomplished bow hunters of our time, he closes the deal!

I have no problem accepting help on a hunt or fishing trip and in fact appreciate hunters who share info with other hunters. I'm quite sure nobody had that buck tied to a tree for him to come collect.

02-Oct-18
Scoot, lol! You're right, stealing someones signals and taking a pound of air out of a games worth of balls is the only reason The Brady Belichick Pats have won five of their last 8 SBs. How could I be so ignorant... ;)

02-Oct-18
Pats don’t cheat stop being jealous lol

02-Oct-18
Beautiful animal congrats to him

05-Oct-18
I know he use to buy landowner tags in NV for a particular unit I’ve hunted. Not sure if he still hunts the unit. By buying landowner tags the general public couldn’t look up where he was applying and drawing on the Hunt Nevada website, plus he was able to hunt each year. That said I hunted the unit for 10 days one year and didn’t kill a monster buck. He’d been there the week previous to me and killed his normal monster for the year before I started my hunt and I camped just a few miles from where he was....

05-Oct-18
Yup, haters gonna hate. Nice job Randy, congrats to you again sir! Beautiful buck!

05-Oct-18
Chasewild has it correct... That is "cute".

05-Oct-18
Lots of people don't realize that locating a good deer is very easy. Closing the deal is what separates the best from the rest.

07-Oct-18
I think maybe another point has been overlooked. It's a guides livelihood to put clients on animals. It's their job description to know where animals are located and to bring their clients to them. In this case the client just happened to be higher profile. Randy Ulmer enjoys a very good reputation within our sport for a reason. My opinion is that all involved have nothing to apologize for.....

07-Oct-18
My understanding is that a large % of the big bucks he kills come from CO. This would be high country public land Millie’s that everyone has access to. He just spends massive amount of time scouting in the summer to find them. Anyone could do it... but he does it

07-Oct-18
Dmtjager- that’s what makes a skilled hunter successful. They know where to hunt. Don’t bust their balls because they have a better spot than you. You should try to find a better spot than them. Most of the guys that complain wouldn’t be able to do it even if they were hunting. There is a guy that hunts near me that always kills mature bucks year in and year out. Some of the local whiners always point out that he does this because he has a great place to hunt. Other people hunt just across the road or right across a small steam with little or no success. The good hunter finds a great place, then he hunts the best spot in that great place at the right time. That is why Randy is successful.

07-Oct-18
there is a good podcast with Randy on Epic outdoors. If you want to know more about “how” he does it I would encourage you to listen. Based on that podcast he is spending 40-50 days each summer backpacking and scouting until he finds a big buck. Per podcast he really enjoys hiking and glassing. Once he finds a big one there is a good chance he gets it. All animals have their vulnerabilities and over the years Randy has perfected how to get it done. A large part of his success is patience and not pushing a bad stalk. He waits until the conditions are right. What I took away is that what Randy has over the rest of us is not necessarily where he is hunting but rather that he has time and he is driven. Those two things combined with his experience and shooting abilities are a deadly combination for big mule deer. His success is pretty easy to see once you understand what he has put into it.

08-Oct-18
Thanks, Mike. Listening to that one today. He did one with John Dudley, too, on the shooting side of things.

08-Oct-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Randy hunts with his nephew, Zach. He does okay, too. Colorado, public land.

08-Oct-18
Yep, I wouldn't the Ulmer boys hunting me. Congrats to both on taking tremendous bucks.

• Sitka Gear