W8N4RUT 12-Sep-18
Bowboy 12-Sep-18
MF 13-Sep-18
gottoohunt 16-Sep-18
04-Sep-18

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Big Fin's embedded Photo

Big Fin's Link
Last month I was lucky to fulfill a forty-year dream; a Dall Sheep hunt. I had offered it to some friends, as all our episodes are self-guided public land hunting. They all declined and told me I was crazy to not take an offer like this, even if it was a guided hunt. Eventually, I decided it was a once-in-a--lifetime opportunity and I would explain to the audience that there are some dream hunts where, as a non-resident, you need to hire a guide, by law, and this was one of them. (Advance notice, this is a rifle hunt)

This offer was made to us by Eric Lee of Alaska Adventures Services. He asked us to film it and air it on our platforms. If not for their request and generosity, this dream would still be just that, a dream. As a result, both me, and my camera guy, Marcus Hockett, were able to fulfill our dreams.

Here is Part 1 of 9 days of sheep hunting the wilds of Alaska. An OTC backpack hunt with plenty of ups and downs (literally and figuratively), as is the case with all hunts, and as I came to learn, even more the case with backpack Dall Sheep hunts in OTC units.

We will post a new clip every day (so long as I can find coverage out here in the elk woods) until all nine days are posted.

Big thanks to the many wild sheep advocates and members of the Wild Sheep Foundation. I know there are many who visit this site and their work on behalf of these amazing animals is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for watching.

04-Sep-18
Congrats!!

04-Sep-18
And he met a bowsiter on the mountain!

04-Sep-18
Nice ram! Congratulations! Looking forward to the video. Heck, you might even throw in a few minutes on your meeting a bowsiter out there for fun:-)

04-Sep-18
Good stuff Randy...Can't wait to follow.

04-Sep-18
Congrats Randy! Looking forward to watching the videos! Good luck in the elk woods!

04-Sep-18
Listen to a Randy podcast and out walks Randy. What are the chances!! Trevor and Randy’s ram looks the same genes. Congrats. Hunt

04-Sep-18
I look forward to the next segment. FWIW, we wore waist waders for the entire hunt both times I went due to the multiple stream/river crossings each day. My guide uses Simms waders and wading boots. I have used Cabela's waist waders with a light Cabela's hunting boot which worked well.

Take care. Mike

04-Sep-18
Congrats Randy!

Long term goals are the best!!!

Looking forward to it!

Mark

04-Sep-18
Congrats!

04-Sep-18
Love it so far. Keep them coming!

04-Sep-18
Looking forward to this, congrats randy!

04-Sep-18
Congrats! Definitely a dream hunt for me as well. Your show Randy is one of the very, very, very few I enjoy watching and one of the best! Keep at it.

05-Sep-18
Well done Randy

Dandy Ram

Good luck, Robb

05-Sep-18
Great stuff. Look forward to the rest of the footage.

05-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Day 2 - Time to get to camp and start locating some sheep. Season opens tomorrow. Video at the link.

05-Sep-18
I need more... Kevin

05-Sep-18
Keep it coming! Thanks for posting.

05-Sep-18
Great footage and story Randy!

Look forward to watching #2!

Mark

06-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Having to count rings when nothing is obviously full curl is not only nerve racking, but sometimes the outcome sucks. One of these Rams should have gotten a ride back to camp. Marcus' language was better than mine, so we used his audio.

Dang

Part 3 at the link below.

06-Sep-18
Dang it Randy!

I just took a 13 minute break at the office to watch your hunt!

Nicely done!!!

Mark

06-Sep-18
Very, very awesome. I was in the Anchorage area up at a gold mine in 2006. What an amazing place. Hope to go back some day....... Thanks Randy!

07-Sep-18
I am really enjoying the scenery on this hunt Randy! I am looking forward to the rest of this series and many more to come. Take care of that liver!

07-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Time to relocate the rams from yesterday. Once we got the images from yesterday loaded to the camera, the biggest one had 10 rings.

Part 4 is live at the link below.

07-Sep-18
Thanks for posting this here Randy. Great stuff...

07-Sep-18
Congrats!! Good luck in the elk woods! run 3

08-Sep-18
This is the first thread I look at each day. The video and story telling are terrific! Thanks Randy!

08-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
By this time this day rolls around, I'm in need of a new Potral vein for my liver. One of the roughest hunts ever for my liver. For those wondering, I have a rare liver condition that can be a serious hindrance to daily function when it flares up.

Part 5 at the link below.

08-Sep-18
Fantastic. Really enjoying this one

Scott

08-Sep-18
awesome....... Look forward to this everyday....

09-Sep-18
Great video so far Randy...only wish you were feeling better during this hunt. Can't wait to see the remaining footage...and hopefully some sheep on the ground. Kevin

11-Sep-18

Big Fin's embedded Photo
One sheep down, one to go.
Big Fin's embedded Photo
One sheep down, one to go.

Big Fin's Link
Part 6 is ready at the link below. Sorry I'm out hunting and without much coverage.

11-Sep-18
Spectacular hunt in awesome country and a great story to go with it!

There is certainly a lot that goes into a sheep hunt beyond the hunt. Your health issues were tough and there were certainly a lot of thoughts about 40 years leading up to this adventure.

Thanks for sharing, Randy!

11-Sep-18
This has been great Randy. Congrats on a beautiful ram. I'm enjoying this and still staying tuned :)

11-Sep-18
Very nice! One down...one to go! Looked tasty over that campfire. Also looking forward to part 7. Kevin

11-Sep-18

oldrecurveman's embedded Photo
oldrecurveman's embedded Photo
Randy, This has been an awesome story to follow & brings back many memories of my Dall Sheep hunt in 2009. I was 64 at the time & decided to fulfill a lifelong dream despite the fact I was past the age of most mountain sheep hunters. The weeks of workouts left me with a severely sore knee which require a cortisone shot just days before leaving for the hunt. I hunted with an old Savage ( left-hand ) 30-06 I had owned since the early 70's but was confident in it's abilities. I also hunted in the Wrangell-St. Elias mountains and out of 8 days only hunted for 3 1/2 due to weather. I can relate to the numerous stream crossings, busting through the alders & willows, and the steep climbs. My guide also stated frequently " Just one more ridge !". We found my ram at 10:30 in the morning & I shot him at 7:00 that night at 502 yards. It was a shot I could probably never make again, and required a follow-up shot to put him down. The ram was 10 years old, full curl plus on the left & broomed on the right. We were up at 4:30 that morning & got back to camp at 2:30 the following morning. It was a 4 hour hike in the dark back to camp with the hide / cape and meat. As you stated, it was my first and probably only sheep hunt. Thanks for taking us on your journey, Gary

11-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Part 7 at the link below.

11-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Part 8 at the link below. So close......

11-Sep-18
FINALLY, someone who can make a video without adding stupid music!

This is just amazing to follow.

Well done, Randy & company, well done!

Anxious for part 9.

12-Sep-18

Big Fin's Link
Redemption for Marcus.

Part 9 at the link below.

12-Sep-18
A great account of the hunt. Thank you. Congrats to you both on your sheep!!

12-Sep-18
Great job on the hunt and videos! I really like how this was broke up into sections and allowed you to watch each on as time allowed. I rarely watch hunting videos, but I couldn't wait until the next video was posted on this one.

Thanks for posting and congrats to both of you!

12-Sep-18
I really enjoyed the hunt. Thanks for sharing. Also....more importantly Randy, I hope you are feeling better. I know you have had flare ups on other hunts but this one seemed especially bad.

12-Sep-18
Spectacular hunt! Congratulations!

12-Sep-18
Randy, Marcus, Branson, et all, This was such an inspirational hunt to follow & as I stated previously it certainly stirred memories of my own Dall Sheep hunt. The quality of the video was awesome and really made me feel like I was back there in the fog shrouded mountains, climbing & sweating to get to the top of the ' NEXT RIDGE '. I think a Dall Sheep hunt is probably the most demanding, yet most rewarding hunt a hunter can face. You will really find out what you're capable of pushing yourself to and usually it is beyond what you ever thought. Best of luck with your health situation Randy & keep bringing us these awesome films.

12-Sep-18
Super job guys...everyone! What a tough hunt...with plenty of adversity, and illness to contend with. My hat's off to each of you. Nicely done...and thanks for bringing me along. Really enjoyed the journey. Kevin

12-Sep-18
Congrats on the sheep. I especially enjoyed the mountain scenery and noticing the weather changing almost hourly. Well done sheep hunting film. Thanks for sharing.

12-Sep-18

mikewood's embedded Photo
mikewood's embedded Photo
Randy and Marcus, Congratulations on the sheep and the great video. I took my first and last sheep in the Yukon in 2013 when I was 59. A hunt of a lifetime but should have done it earlier in my life. We used horses from base camp to spike camp, a seven hour ride but did our share of climbing in the alpine too. Here is my 11 year old ram. I think of him every time my knees hurt.

12-Sep-18
Best video series I have ever watched. Thank you for taking us on the ride.

12-Sep-18
Thank you for posting....great footage...great people...and a great representation of sheep hunting for people who are wondering what it is like.

Take care. Mike

12-Sep-18
Enjoyed that Randy.....that dang liver seems to make you miserable!! Hope you are able to get that under control.

12-Sep-18
That was a great ride. Amazing video. What a great team. Looked forward to watching every segment!

One of the best I’ve ever enjoyed.

Scott

12-Sep-18
Congrats Randy beautiful ram.

13-Sep-18
Awesome hunt!! What are the lightweight jackets with hood they are wearing? Is that the Jetstream jacket?

16-Sep-18
Congratulations to both of you I followed your video reports on Youtube everyday. Randy I hope you have recovered from the hunt with your kidney. I hate to say it but you looked pretty bad off. You toughed it out and were able to get a very nice ram. My camo hat is off to you.

gottoohunt

• Sitka Gear