olebuck 10-Sep-18
beckerbulldog 10-Sep-18
12yards 10-Sep-18
SaltyB 10-Sep-18
Bou'bound 10-Sep-18
10-Sep-18

beckerbulldog's embedded Photo
beckerbulldog's embedded Photo
So I put out my cameras August 21. The bugs have been horrible here in Minnesota this summer. So before heading out to put them out I, not thinking, doused myself in bug spray. I pulled my cards this weekend and see this guy. I got pictures of him one day only, the day I hung the camera. I have numerous pictures of him with his nose in the air smelling something. I’m assuming it’s me, bug spray and all. (Insert foul language here) Rookie mistake, wasn’t thinking. I’ve been hunting for 45 years and never harvested a buck over 100”, so seeing this deer is a huge deal, huge. Did I blow him out? Is he gone?

10-Sep-18
Who knows every deer is different. One time probably not. One of the hardest things is going into a bucks house without him knowing. It could of been you or anything he was smelling. Hunt the wind that’s all I can say. It’s a beautiful deer. Best of luck hope you get him. He will keep you in your stand when your thinking about getting out.

10-Sep-18
I don’t think he’s gone. A one time encounter won’t blow him out of the area.

10-Sep-18
Don't overthink it. Just make sure you don't blow the girls out of the area. He will be back to visit for food and the rut. Good luck!

10-Sep-18
I also don't think he would leave over that. No biggie. Carry on. Hope you get him!

10-Sep-18
Hell no he's still there. Keep track of the wind and continue to hunt him. You'll get a chance eventually; play it smart and hunt.

You wouldn't want it to be easy would you?

10-Sep-18
I’m assuming since he’s standing in soybeans that he’s a farm land deer? . . . If so, I think you’re fine. He should be used to smelling some human odors from time to time. If smelling humans blew out every farm land deer, there wouldn’t be any deer in farm land

10-Sep-18
I think it's "one more piece of the puzzle" to him just as we're searching for pieces. But a fairly non threatening experience like that, might just have him learn a little more about what you're doing, or where you're moving, so factor that in and keep hunting. Worst case in this scenario I would guess is him moving a little more nocturnal as they seem to just do that when they feel more pressure. But he very well could have not changed much

10-Sep-18
I think you are ok, he has no idea that bug spray means death is on the way

10-Sep-18
He would know you had been there with or without bug spray. Some bucks live in small areas, some have bigger ranges and some alternate range size a lot with the rut and seasons.

10-Sep-18
The unknown here is that his fall range may be different than his summer range. I'm assuming the beans are turning yellow now and he may be on a different food source. Probably acorns, which seem to be in abundance this year.

10-Sep-18
I had him and 3 other "nice" 8 pointers the first few days cameras were out. Now nothing except small spikes and does. I'm guessing they moved to different food source like acorns. I'm afraid to go in and check oaks on my small property because I think they could be bedding near the oaks.

10-Sep-18
Very doubtful, studies show "new car smell" air freshener attracts as many bucks as doe urine. Actually big whitetails are curious animals and don't spook as easily as some think. You will be fine!! Shawn

10-Sep-18
I'd say be happy you were wearing bug spray. Prob better off for it. That buck would have smelled you regardless so at least this way it is a standard non-threatening human type smell and it's most likely different than when you will be hunting. Even if he busted you on foot I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most deer it takes quite a bit of intrusion to actually make them completely relocate due to that reason.

But ya, a lot of bucks relocate this time of year anyways based on food. Especially if your soybeans are gone, he'll be hitting a different food source anyways.

10-Sep-18
If you depend only on what your cameras show you, you are in trouble.

10-Sep-18
becker, I lose many bucks in the time frame that you referenced. Bucks on a summer pattern often go somewhere else after velvet peel. This is a known phenomenon, in fact as I watched Winke's weekly video this morning, he mentioned that he didn't put cameras out until the second week of September or thereabouts. I run cameras year 'round, but mostly for fun, because I learned several years ago that all the bucks won't stay around for the festivities we have lined up for them.

I've had one picture of a buck also, when I used to put them on scrapes. Too much intrusion for them if they are close to the camera IMO. If I hang a camera on a scrape nowadays, I stand on my cart and hang it as high as possible, both for scent, sight, and sound purposes. I get multiple pics that way more often than not.

Like most of the others said, that buck is likely to be back if he's a homebody, he just might avoid the camera. For that reason, I usually set three cameras up on a one to two acre food plot at various places, and it won't hurt to set them high and aim them down. The little screw in mounts are great for this as you can aim them in any direction. Good luck, and I hope he gets in front of you when you're hunting.

10-Sep-18
Sounds to me you may be putting too much pressure on your "small property"....too close to the season. Scout early to confirm you have deer hitting your property....set up stands or blinds and STAY OUT until you move in to hunt. Seems you are getting anxious.... as we all are....but in this case "less is more".

10-Sep-18
Love these posts. A lot of great advise.

10-Sep-18
this is my 3rd year hunting this property. The first year and this year he has beans in. The fields to my west are alfalfa and corn, the same thing it's been the last 3 years. My problem is that the farmer plows the bean field under within a few days of harvesting the beans. When he did that the first year I hunted there the deer activity on the land died. I'm going to go and ask him if there is anyway he can postpone that as late as possible. If not I'm going to have to try to strike early.

10-Sep-18
Those night time photos are sure to get your heart pumping, but if that's all you're getting then chances are it will make little difference if you blew it or not. If the bulk of your pics were daytime and all of sudden he goes nocturnal then I'd say yes, you blew it.

10-Sep-18
Are the Beans still Green? if they have started to yellow then he has probably moved to a different food source.

also if they are still green and deer are still eating them, remember the deer has to stand still in an area about the size of the bed of a truck to get his picture taken - most bean fields are huge....

10-Sep-18
Olebuck, The beans are starting to brown. Good point, He could still be here just not getting pics of him! - feeling better

10-Sep-18
Just be sure to douse up with bug dope before you hunt him. He'll think you're no threat.

10-Sep-18
All my observations are showing deer have stopped hitting beans and are onto acorns and alfalfa now. You probably bumped him a bit but not out of the area. He may be camera shy. I have one buck I get pics of on a camera once and never again. If I move the cam I get him again. He simply doesn't like camearas. I plan to use that to my advantage later by putting cams where I DON'T want him to walk.

10-Sep-18
i fear he is long gone but don't give up!

• Sitka Gear