Contributors to this thread:
Destroyer350 10-Sep-18
Buglmin 10-Sep-18
Destroyer350 10-Sep-18
trophyhill 12-Sep-18
Smtn10PT 12-Sep-18
Destroyer350 12-Sep-18
10-Sep-18
Over the past 8 years of elk hunting I have learned a lot. This is the 1st year that i'm using diaphragms and not bite calls or external reed bugles. It has been a game changer. Labor day weekend I called in 12-15 bulls - mostly smaller ones.

Last weekend went in trying to do the same thing from the previous weeks. Locate a bull, get in as close as possible and start bugling and raking. A lot of the bulls have cows so they would move off 50 or so yards or shadow me from above while I go after another one. I would follow, trying to force them to come fight me. This would go on for hours and hours to the point of exhausting me lol. I would even switch it up to cow calls only or have a friend do the calling since he sounds a little different. Am I being too aggressive or are they just starting to gather their cows and arent aggressive yet? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

10-Sep-18
Being too aggressive. Always take a bulls temp before moving in on them. Their behavior should dictate how you work them. When a bull has cows, he's not gonna come charging into your aggressive calling. And once a bull is leaving, not much will force him to come back to another different sounding bugle. It's tough to call in bulls that have cows, and if they are small bulls, he's not gonna risk loosing them to another bull. Location bugles, nothing threatening. Call to em a few times to see how they are acting. If they start getting worked up, coming to you, that's when you start getting a lil more aggressive. Never try to over power a bull, regardless of how big you think he is. If the bull is aggressive, you'll know right away. Herd bulls, shadow the herd and try to get ahead of them.

10-Sep-18
Thanks Anthony. That makes sense. Half of them we would bugle back and forth for about 15 or so minutes from 80 -120 yards, he would eventually come closer but stay out of sight. I would get closer and the bulls would move back. A lot of these were larger bulls I could see just walking back and forth above me.

12-Sep-18
Quick question. And I don't think you were being too aggressive at all. In maybe it's just me, but you had those bulls in the palm of your hand. Did the shooter move in while the caller kept the bull talking?

12-Sep-18
if you called in 12-15 bulls in a weekend I'd say you are doing something right

12-Sep-18
Trophyhill - As close as possible without spooking the bull or the cows. In the many hours of chasing the bull we would try everything. Not sure maybe if anyone has a technique for these type of instances. Headed back up Saturday until the end of season hoping one makes a mistake!

• Sitka Gear