Billyvanness 13-Sep-18
APauls 13-Sep-18
Mr.C 14-Sep-18
Bowriter 14-Sep-18
wilhille 14-Sep-18
bad karma 14-Sep-18
Amoebus 14-Sep-18
11-Sep-18
Found my elk tenderloins a tad tough last year, so I'm going to soak them in something tasty today and eat them on friday, any suggestions?

11-Sep-18
Jack Daniels makes some great marinades. We use a couple different ones. Good flavor and makes the meat pretty tender.

11-Sep-18
I would suggest letting them sit in the fridge for a week or even more before cooking, as a form of aging. Marinades don't penetrate well enough to tenderize much but you might try a Jaccard type tenderizer with a marinade containing some acid (juice or vinegar). Aging in the fridge works for me.

11-Sep-18
Three tablespoons EVOO, 2 tablespoons Soy, 3 cloves jumbo garlic minced, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/4 teaspoon of Rosemary. Rub into piece of strap. Let sit for at least 1 hour before grilling to rare.

11-Sep-18
Brook trout nailed it . Enjoy! Hunt

11-Sep-18
EVOO?

11-Sep-18
Extra virgin olive oil. Sorry

11-Sep-18
Extra virgin olive oil.

11-Sep-18
3 TBS Olive Oil

1 TBS lemon juice

1 TBS Worcestershire

1 TBS Soy Sauce

Buncha minced garlic

Fresh Cracked Pepper

Vacuum seal or ziplock with no air for min 4 hours

Salt (not too much) and crack pepper meat on grill. Slice 1/4" thick at rare to med rare

This gets me lucky with my wife most nights

11-Sep-18
For any wild game, red meat, I have found nothing that will beat High Mountain Seasoning-Wild Game Marinade. Only I use either wine or bourbon instead of water and usually add a touch of EVOO. It comes in powder, you mix to suit taste.

No, I am not connected to them, they pay me nothing, don't even know who owns the company. But they have a superb line of wild game cooking products from marinades to rubs. I use them all.

11-Sep-18
Good stuff guys, thanks, should I start the marinade now or is it too soon?

11-Sep-18
I only do it hour or two before- grill .if you put it in fridge it will get too thick. Other marinades maybe today.

11-Sep-18
I try and get to mine as early in the day as possible. I’ve done a 2 hour marinade a time or two and it hasn’t been too bad either.Key is no air in the bag you marinade in, as lack of oxygen speeds up the process by I think x3 if you were to remove it completely

11-Sep-18
As a general rule, anything acidic will tenderize meat: lemon, pineapple, orange juice, also papaya. Let it come to room temperature first, then cook low and slow. Slice against the grain. Enjoy!

11-Sep-18
Understand- There are two basic kinds of marinade. One is a short period the other is for 12-hours or more in the fridge. The longer marinades tend to have a tenerdirizing effect and flavor. The short ones are for flavor only. For 150-years, I made my own marinade, swore it was the best. Then, I tried High Mountain haven't made any since. I put mine in the fridge for 12-18-hours, shake or turn when I think about it.

11-Sep-18
High Mountain makes quite a few seasonings - is there a specific "type"?

11-Sep-18
I like 50/50 A-1 and Worcestershire with a bit of EVO and salt, pepper, and garlic.

11-Sep-18
Vinegar,lemon,etc.cooks red meat.Try red wine or salad dressing for small amount of time.24hrs is way too much.2/3 hrs is perfect.

11-Sep-18
Try this with non-expensive meat.Salt heavily on all sides.Sea Salt...let it rest.first 1/2 hour draws moistier out ,second 1/2 hour soaks it back in.Wash off access salt/Cook normally,Juiciest steaks/Tenderloins ever(Cooks Country).3 beef roasts.All perfect.

11-Sep-18

12-Sep-18
Poudre- The A1, although I don't use it on my beef steaks, works magnificently well as a marinade ingredient on game!

12-Sep-18
First one must shoot an elk....

12-Sep-18

jillmarkle's Link
hey there, I'm a newbie and a nerdy gamer who outwardly seems to be quite normal. I have always been interested in websites and webdesign, and have recently begun to get more and more.

13-Sep-18
Olive oil, soy sauce, Montreal seasoning... let sit for 2 hours

13-Sep-18
Last while I haven't been big on marinades. my favourite is to oil a cut of steak all the way around, season fairly heavily with montreal steak spice, AND cracked salt. both sides. When I've let it sit a couple hours it has only gotten better. Then I BBQ super high heat 4 minutes per side. I think the oil is the key to the whole thing. The meat is crazy juicy, almost like the oil clogs the meat pores and keeps all the natural juices inside.

14-Sep-18
cut against the grain of the meat into small medallions ! salt and pepper roll in flour fry in olive oil for just a minutes or 2 flip give it a couple more minutes ,,make some milk gravy and toast ,then eat until you cant....I've never soaked or rubbed anything on the loins but salt pepper and flour now im hungry lol MikeC

14-Sep-18
Apauls--"Last while I haven't been big on marinades. my favourite is to oil a cut of steak all the way around, season fairly heavily with montreal steak spice, AND cracked salt. both sides. When I've let it sit a couple hours it has only gotten better. Then I BBQ super high heat 4 minutes per side. I think the oil is the key to the whole thing. The meat is crazy juicy, almost like the oil clogs the meat pores and keeps all the natural juices inside."

That is exactly what is happening. You are searing the outside and sealing in the juices and flavor. Keep in mind, salt removed the blood and it is the blood that provides the juice. Since most wild game has no marbling, it is conducive to "juicyness", to either lard or use oil on the outside.

14-Sep-18
There is no blood in meat and therefore blood is not what makes a steak "juicy." The water located inside the meat makes it juicy. Meat is mostly comprised of water, up to 70%. It is the salt that creates a brine as it pulls the moisture out, then this brine is reabsorbed inside the meat flavoring it. As a steak cooks it contracts squeezing out moisture. Because the salt breaks down certain proteins, these proteins cannot "contract" as much resulting in the steak not wringing out the moisture as it cooks. Blood is not in the equation at all. I believe that the oil on the outside helps sear the meat and hold that moisture inside, creating the juicy steak. But it isn't blood that makes a steak juicy. I have this conversation all the time with my nieces and nephews who think its gross to eat "blood."

14-Sep-18
Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest. Marinade for 45 minutes or more.

Cook on high heat, add some butter toward the end. Sear the outside, leave the inside nice and pink.

14-Sep-18
M. Pauls - "This gets me lucky with my wife most nights"

Does it take an elk tenderloin to do this? So, twice a year?

Lucky...

• Sitka Gear