Owl 12-Sep-18
Ermine 12-Sep-18
wooddamon1 12-Sep-18
oldrecurveman 12-Sep-18
Dyjack 12-Sep-18
drycreek 12-Sep-18
Zbone 14-Sep-18
11-Sep-18
So call me crazy, or not, but I’ve been bowhunting elk for the better part of 35 years. I’m in Colorado this year, and it seems about every I bugle or start calling these chipmunks start sending an alarm chatter for all the mountain to hear lol. They’re like right above us screaming they’re heads off, unlike the elk right now. I’m convinced they are working in tandem as alarm sentrys to warm their friends , and no I’m not smoking weed before I hunt lol.

11-Sep-18
I feel like the cranes and chipmunks are out to get me lol.

11-Sep-18
Reminds me of a few years ago in Kaibab. Opening morning, 5 bucks feeding right to me with 2 monsters in the group. As they were getting closer, them little bastards got louder and louder above me at about 60 yards, the spike in front stopped, looked my way and turned 90 degrees to the left and fed away, taking the others with him. BTW, my brother shot a 7X9 out of that group on the 3rd afternoon.

I feel your pain man.

11-Sep-18
I have sat for a long time thinking about shooting a frickgin squirrel and if it was worth a $12 arrow...... it is quite irritating. Only place I've ever been where the damn things do that.

11-Sep-18
They do the same thing to the Elk. Use it to your advantage.

11-Sep-18

11-Sep-18
Way cool Trax, never thought about that... I'll be carrying a wrist rocket this year...8^)

11-Sep-18
In the places I've hunted in CO the last couple years, the squirrels chattering and throwing pine cones at you has been non existent. Beatle kill. Interesting topic though. They chatter at elk too. Think about that for a minute ;)

11-Sep-18
Where are you buying wrist rockets?Az. doesn't seem to stock them anymore.

11-Sep-18
I was sitting on a rock ledge in Colorado once, mule deer hunting, and a chipmunk climbed out from underneath somewhere, came up on the rock where my feet were, cocked his head up at me and peed. Then he left, leaving a little wet spot on the rock. I had to laugh.

11-Sep-18
Twice elk hunting, I've taken the mid afternoon snooze watching a meadow, only to have had the crud scared out of me by those little rodents running across my crotch! Death to all of them!

11-Sep-18
dirtclod Az. - I think Walmarts around here still sells them, can't find mine so I gonna be shopping for one too... Will let youenz know about Walmart...

12-Sep-18

I'll see your chipmunk and raise you the eastern gray squirrel.

12-Sep-18
Chattering chipmunks...You mean squirrels?

How about the Pikas and Marmots they always seem to be sounding the alarm too up high

12-Sep-18
I crack up every time I see those vids, Owl. Funny stuff.

12-Sep-18

oldrecurveman's embedded Photo
oldrecurveman's embedded Photo
My personal war is against Red Squirrels . . . .

12-Sep-18
It's good and bad. In 2016 I was moving in on a bedded bull. Sat down along the brush at the edge of the clearing that separated us waiting for him to chime out from his bed one more time before the stalk.

Squirrels started going ape shit across the clearing. I couldn't figure out how the hell they saw me. Then a cub climbed a tree.. then another... Then another.. Then momma bear charged my ass across the clearing. Those squirrels warned me.

Last year I was on my buddy's elk hunt. We were taking a midday snooze. And I heard a squirrel chirping down the hill. So I worked my way down to see if it was a bear, or something. Then I was standing face to face with a solid 6x6 bull. I turned to walk away hoping he'd just go about his business LOL. Went got my buddy never saw that bull again.

Firm believer that they chirp at all big animals, and predatory birds. They don't know which ones like to kill them so they don't discriminate.

12-Sep-18
I kinda enjoy the squirrels. They let me know when a coyote or a hog is coming. They don't bark at deer as much, but they raise hell at varmints.

14-Sep-18
dirtclod Az. - Yep, Walmart still sells wrist rockets and surprisingly they actually had a nice selection of different brands and models... I picked up a Barnett Black Widow Folding Slingshot for under $10 today... Even came with 10 steel shot balls...

• Sitka Gear