llamapacker 11-Sep-18
spike78 11-Sep-18
NvaGvUp 11-Sep-18
Scar Finga 11-Sep-18
W 12-Sep-18
Bowboy 12-Sep-18
NvaGvUp 13-Sep-18
11-Sep-18
I've been away for a few days and am surprised no one's posted on this yet, but Jason Hairston, the co-founder of Sitka Gear and the sole founder of KUIU has died, sadly from his own hand.

Damn!

Jason was a friend of mine for the past 15-16 years. He revolutionized the hunting gear industry with his creativity on 'ultra-light', truly functional hunting clothing and more.

Until Jason came along, hunting clothing was almost totally based on the latest, greatest camo pattern.

Jason changed that forever and the industry followed.

As few of you likely know, Jason was an All-American linebacker at UC Davis and played (briefly) for the 49'ers and the Broncos.

Although I have no knowledge of why he committed suicide, there is a history of a higher likelihood of suicide for NFL players as a result of head injuries. So perhaps that had a role in why he did what he did.

Jason was phenomenally creative and successful, which may have created added emotional pressures. I don't claim to know.

He leaves behind a beautiful wife and children, as well as a lasting legacy which benefits all serious mountain hunters.

I heard about this late last week after I came off the mountain in CO.

On my drive home, for whatever reason, I realized for the first time, despite all my years of knowing him, I'd never seen him smile or crack a joke.

So sad!

He shall be missed!

11-Sep-18
See the lengthy thread titled "Sad news fellas" Bill

11-Sep-18
Also see James Hetfield Metallica and a thread on the Leatherwall.

11-Sep-18
I've never gone to the Leatherwall and rarely go to the Big Game Forum.

So bad on me!

11-Sep-18
No worries brother, we are all upset and unsettled by this! Prayers for his family, you and all his friends! Sad all the way around, absolutely tragic!

12-Sep-18
Article sheds some light.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/sports/jason-hairston-wife-speaks-out-about-cte/amp/

12-Sep-18
Very sad met Jason a few times very nice down to earth guy,

13-Sep-18
Thank you for the link, W.

That explains a lot.

• Sitka Gear